Making a 11:35am flight possible from pier 66?

JRA1708

Was wondering if its possible to make a 11:35 am flight to Sea tac from Pier 66? We are in a Penthouse so we should get priority departure, plus we'll take our own luggage. How far away is the airport? Looks like flight prices are climbing so I would like to book this flight. Help please :confused:

Shouldn't be a problem. The airport is around 12 miles from Pier 66, typically around 20-30 min. by taxi or towncar. Note security at the airport can be pokey on cruise mornings, so if you have priority access (elite frequent flyer status, traveling in first class, etc.) that will help big time.

Definitely do-able.

I'd give a little more time to reach the airport, due to construction, events, and the usual heavy traffic. I recently missed a flight ... ouch that's costly! The airline required checkin 45 minutes prior to departure and I arrived 35 minutes prior.

I suggest your car/taxi should be pulling away from the pier by 9-9:15. Gives you time for a b'fast before you leave the ship, plus there's a little cushion so you won't have to worry about being late.

I guess I should have mentioned location. We will be in Seattle at pier 66 in July 2013. I have read that the Sea Tac airport is only 12 miles away, but how bad is traffic & security at airport?? I fly out of Pittsburgh or Cleveland and both airport securities are a breeze thru. I hear Sea Tac can be stressful??

I guess I should have mentioned location. We will be in Seattle at pier 66 in July 2013. I have read that the Sea Tac airport is only 12 miles away, but how bad is traffic & security at airport?? I fly out of Pittsburgh or Cleveland and both airport securities are a breeze thru. I hear Sea Tac can be stressful??

Traffic - almost never a problem as there are two freeways that travel to/past the airport from Seattle, plus most cruise days are on weekends, so no commuter traffic. In addition there are "carpool" or HOV lanes that cabs and limos (or any car with 2+ people) can use, which further speeds things along.

Security - I fly through a lot of airports and I'd say Seattle is in the middle of the pack somewhere. Early mornings (before around 9 AM) can be very busy due to eastbound transcons leaving (most are gone by 8) then on cruise days it gets congested around noon. There are several security checkpoints (you can use any of them) so it's always useful to ask the airline or airport people which lines are the shortest; even if your checkpoint is not the one closest to your gate, it's never a long walk to get back to where you wanted to be.

Starting this week a number of airlines at Seatac are moving their counter locations and gate assignments around; for example Alaska Airlines (by far the biggest tenant) is officially taking over the whole North Satellite (previously shared with United and Air Canada) and is moving its counters to be closer to the train that serves the satellite. So it's likely that the big crowds (and probably more TSA people) will shift to that checkpoint, away from the checkpoint near the C concourse, where many of Alaska's flights were clustered. Does that mean the C checkpoint is going to be empty? Unlikely, but we'll have to see.

By cruise season things will have settled out. I'd still allow 90 min. to get from the street to the gate, although even at busy times I can't recall having needed more than 60 min., and usually well under that.

you clearly stated SeaTac in your initial post. :)

I still say ....be pulling away from the pier by 9:15am for an 11:30 flight. There may not be commuter traffic but there can be congestion from events at the stadiums, construction, marathons, walks, road closures, accidents, etc. If you leave at 9:15 and have a 20 minute delay you'll still arrive at SeaTac by 10. That leaves you with 1 1/2 hrs to check your luggage, go thru security and get to your gate some of which require a long walk or a tram ride.

BTW, my missed flight was mid afternoon on a Saturday ... a 20 minute delay due to an accident.

technically its doable if there are no glitches as mentioned. Most cabs and shuttle will take hwy 99 but there are closures on that road and it also crosses a drawbridge (1st ave so bridge) so delays are possible. Not always but they do happen.

I'm also going through this same thing... I'll be on the Norwegian Pearl in July. We're Gold members, so we have priority disembarkation. JetBlue has a great direct flight from SEA to BOS at 11:35. Besides that flight, there's really nothing until later and they all have layovers (meaning that I won't get to Boston until midnight). I just need some reassurance that it's doable to make my 11:35 flight.

Archived