Road to Hana Valley Isle

goinggoinggone

Hello all. I am starting to plan and book excursions for POA in August. I was told by Valley Isle for the Road to Hana trip, that they no longer do the winery or ranch. It was the winery's decision because it gets too crowded later on in the day with tours. I wonder if Robert's or any of the other tours still go there. I'll probably still book it, unless I find a similar tour that included the winery.

Hello all. I am starting to plan and book excursions for POA in August. I was told by Valley Isle for the Road to Hana trip, that they no longer do the winery or ranch. It was the winery's decision because it gets too crowded later on in the day with tours. I wonder if Robert's or any of the other tours still go there. I'll probably still book it, unless I find a similar tour that included the winery.

We believe Roberts still offers their "Back Roads of Upcountry Maui" tour. That covered the winery and other interesting places Upcountry. You might want to google that title and/or contact Roberts. The views along the way to the winery (Ulupalakua) and back are spectacular and the roads usually not crowded. It is a lot easier/more relaxing drive than the road to Hana.

I did find a tour that includes a winery called Taste of Maui that gets rave reviews includes winery, lavender farm, etc. I keep going back and forth if I want the Road to Hana very long trip or a more relaxing one. The wine stop at the end of the Hana tour was something I was looking forward to. Have to decide quickly as my date is coming up.

I did find a tour that includes a winery called Taste of Maui that gets rave reviews includes winery, lavender farm, etc. I keep going back and forth if I want the Road to Hana very long trip or a more relaxing one. The wine stop at the end of the Hana tour was something I was looking forward to. Have to decide quickly as my date is coming up.

We googled the Taste of Maui tour as well as the Roberts Back Roads tour and find both to be highly overpriced. We don't know what a rental car costs for one day, but the route from the ship up to the winery - with stops at the lavender farm and goat dairy - is easy to map out. Admission to the lavender farm is $3.00 per car we believe, and the goat farm used to be something like $10.00 per person. The winery gives free samples. Just as a thought, if you decide to rent a car and go Upcountry, you can have lunch at Ulupalakua Ranch Store (right by the winery - google Ulupalakua Ranch Store). It is quite casual and not cheap for what it is, but you can try elk burgers, lamb burgers and such. The road to Hana and the drive Upcountry are two different ways to spend a day. Both have their charms. Upcountry is more off the beaten path (which is why we live here).

We googled the Taste of Maui tour as well as the Roberts Back Roads tour and find both to be highly overpriced. We don't know what a rental car costs for one day, but the route from the ship up to the winery - with stops at the lavender farm and goat dairy - is easy to map out. Admission to the lavender farm is $3.00 per car we believe, and the goat farm used to be something like $10.00 per person. The winery gives free samples. Just as a thought, if you decide to rent a car and go Upcountry, you can have lunch at Ulupalakua Ranch Store (right by the winery - google Ulupalakua Ranch Store). It is quite casual and not cheap for what it is, but you can try elk burgers, lamb burgers and such. The road to Hana and the drive Upcountry are two different ways to spend a day. Both have their charms. Upcountry is more off the beaten path (which is why we live here).

Sorry to hyjack the thread but with your knowledge of the area does this seem like a reasonable trip by rental car? We arrive by cruise ship early in the morning in Lahaina and don't leave till the next day so not a big rush on the time.

• Kula Botanical gardens
  • Grandma's Coffee House (lunch)
  • Ulupalakua Ranch Store
  • Maui Tedeschi Winery
  • La Perouse Bay Overlook
  • Rice Memorial Park
  • Church of the Holy Ghost
  • Enchanting Floral Gardens
  • Makawao Town
  • Hui Noeau Visual Arts Center

We do realize we may not make it to all of these but we wanted a variety if we were going to go upcountry. :)

Sorry to hyjack the thread but with your knowledge of the area does this seem like a reasonable trip by rental car? We arrive by cruise ship early in the morning in Lahaina and don't leave till the next day so not a big rush on the time.

• Kula Botanical gardens
  • Grandma's Coffee House (lunch)
  • Ulupalakua Ranch Store
  • Maui Tedeschi Winery
  • La Perouse Bay Overlook
  • Rice Memorial Park
  • Church of the Holy Ghost
  • Enchanting Floral Gardens
  • Makawao Town
  • Hui Noeau Visual Arts Center

We do realize we may not make it to all of these but we wanted a variety if we were going to go upcountry. :)

Yes, this would be a very pleasant drive that you can easily do in one day. We live just below Kula (Upcountry), and can get from our home to Lahaina in one hour, so you aren't that far away from here. The highways are all nice, and you will drive along the ocean, by sugar cane fields and then up along Kula Highway for panoramic views of the island. Your list shows you have already done some homework. Do you have any interests in particular? It sounds like you want to see more than just tourist areas. Not that there's anything wrong with them, but Maui is so much more than just the road to Hana and Haleakala at sunrise.

Yes, this would be a very pleasant drive that you can easily do in one day. We live just below Kula (Upcountry), and can get from our home to Lahaina in one hour, so you aren't that far away from here. The highways are all nice, and you will drive along the ocean, by sugar cane fields and then up along Kula Highway for panoramic views of the island. Your list shows you have already done some homework. Do you have any interests in particular? It sounds like you want to see more than just tourist areas. Not that there's anything wrong with them, but Maui is so much more than just the road to Hana and Haleakala at sunrise.

We have been all over the island but the only times we have been upcountry was two trips directly to the summit. Once during the day and once for sunrise. So we saw this as an opportunity to see a variety of things. The winery is one I have been wanting to see for a while and I have read that Makawao Town is an enjoyable place to walk around. Throwing in botanical gardens and a place to eat that seems to get good reviews (even Anthony Bourdain stopped there :)) should round out the day.

Maui is my wife's favorite of the islands so we have been there numerous times. She would probably want to move there if it didn't mean leaving the grandkids behind.