Les Baux de Provence

Bella O

Was wondering if anyone knows whether the Provence/ Burgundy cruises tour here (specifically Uniworld) when in Arles. I would like to see this and have the opportunity to do this on a private tour, but dont want to if I can do this on the river boat tour itself. Thanks!

The Uniworld Cruise Companion mentions Les Baux in the optional afternoon tour of an olive farm... but I don't know how much time you actually have there. I'm more interested in visiting Les Baux than the olive farm, so may look into a private tour or some way to get there from the ship.

Thanks for the replies! I think i will keep this on the private tour I have arranged before we get on the cruise. I also want to visit the quarry, and think on the cruise they dont allow the time to do that. Maybe there will be another option we can take advantage of on the cruise vs. The olive farm combination tour.

Bella, if you're on the Catherine this year, we have a roll call going with the 4 of us on cruise critic that will be on the cruise in 2015 (all different sailings). http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2146891

I'd love to know who you end up doing a private tour with. I really want to see the Carrieres de Lumieres.

Bella, if you're on the Catherine this year, we have a roll call going with the 4 of us on cruise critic that will be on the cruise in 2015 (all different sailings). http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2146891

I'd love to know who you end up doing a private tour with. I really want to see the Carrieres de Lumieres.

That is what we are planning as well. I am trying to figure out the best way to get there using public transport.

I can't figure out whether AMA makes you choose between Carrieres de Lumieres and Les Baux. Their detailed itinerary says

This morning, you will arrive in Arles and board a motor coach for an excursion to the village of Les Baux de Provence. The village’s castle has a fascinating exhibit of medieval weapons. Later, visit an olive farm to learn about this age- old Provençal farming tradition. As an alternative, take the “Impressionist Experience” tour to the Saint Paul de Mausole Asylum, where Van Gogh once lived and painted such well-known works as The Irises and Starry Night. You will also visit the Carrieres de Lumieres, a stone quarry that projects European artwork on its walls, including many of Van Gogh’s famous paintings. Late this afternoon, a city tour of Arles takes you to the Romanesque cathedral and the Roman Amphitheater.

The question is whether "you will also visit the Carrieres" applies to both options, or only the Asylum. Does anyone know if the Les Baux tour also goes to the Carrieres?

Our other option is to do the Asylum/Carrieres tour with AMA and drive to Les Baux on the way to Marseille (we're renting a car to pick up the TGV back to Paris). It's odd, because the Carrieres are just outside Les Baux -- but I guess they want to get you to that olive farm!

I am almost positive it does not go to Carriers. We took a taxi there 40 E each way, and was it ever worth it!

Each year the Carrières invites visitors on an extraordinary audio visual journey made possible by cutting-edge technological equipment and methods developed by Culturespaces and its multimedia partners: 70 video projectors, 3D audio adapted to the specific characteristics of the site, etc. More surfaces used in the show to give it more breadth and extend this artistic journey.

The show is inside a limestone quarry, with walls 20 or more feet high, and the images are projected on the walls and floor with accompanying music

We did the Uniworld cruise on the Rhone aboard the River Royale in May 2012 from Arles to Lyon and loved every moment--especially our tour in Les Baux of he olive farm. The older gentleman/owner was a real delight. We spent a few days pre-cruise in Aix-en-Provence on our own and rented a car to do some exploring of the small villages in Provence and the Camargue. Had a ball and saw some really spectacular sights and met some wonderful locals. Highly recommend it. An easy drive via the "backroads".

We did Le Baux via a private tour. We got to see the entire village and fortress that way. The boat tours typically only go to the lower village part and visit in the shops there on a short schedule. There is no charge for seeing this portion of the village. To go up to the older fortress portion, a fee must be paid, and it's easily an hour plus walk around for just that part of Le Baux. It's great to see all of Le Baux, not just hit the gift shops at the bottom of the hill!

If you use a guide, make sure they know you want to see the entire city and upper fortress, not just the lower shops!

• 2 weeks later...