Wheelchair Accessible Washrooms in Ports

meatloafsfan

Could I get a little input please?

I am taking my mother on her 5th cruise but we mostly stay near or on the ship at ports. She is a full time wheelchair user and needs assistance in the toilet (a normal handicapped washroom is generally fine).

We'd like to do more in the Ports but I am concerned about finding appropriate washrooms.

What is other's experience in this?

(We're going to Cozumel, Roatan, and Costa Maya this time and then St Maarten, Ladadee and San Juan on cruise number 6 next February).

I do not remember if St. Maarten and San Juan had accessible restrooms at the terminal area or not. There is HC accommodations in the restroom at Labadee, however make sure you enter the restroom from side with the full walkway. All the other ports have accessible restrooms in the port complex.

Betty

I think finding accessible restrooms is difficult. What I do is see if there are restaurants (newly built preferably) near where I want to visit. Specifically, I look for restaurants that are fast food chains with a strong US presence like McDonalds, Burger King, Kentucky Fried, etc. If the answer is yes, I then go to the website and ask if the store in blank city at 123 Main street has an accessible restroom. Most but not all will have what you need. Older restaurants or those in historic buildings may have an accessible toilet up or down a set of stairs.

I have found it very difficult to count on finding accessible restrooms. Once I had to use a closed restroom, with the restaurant owner yelling at me, but I was desparate. I have found rest rooms upstairs, downstairs, and very primitive............like a hole in the ground. I like katisdale idea and will look for that next time, and also stay right around somewhere with easy access to the ship. Also, I don't know if this applies to you, but I have hauled myself into a bus, knowing that the bus had a restroom, and then finding out that the drivers NEVER let anyone use the restroom. If I were you, I'd count on short trips into the closest port towns so if you don't find one, you can get back to the ship.

I'm sure you'll have a great time, but forwarned is forarmed. :)

Forget the port area in St Martin. They have no idea what an accessible bathroom is. Same for the port area in Cozumel and Roatan. I couldn't find an accessible stall anywhere in the port area.

As for Costa Maya, it's a place that's specially built for the cruise industry and it did have a couple of accessible stalls in the area.

Archived