Just back from Divina Oct 11 Sailing (yacht club)

Fredric22

Just got back from an amazing week on the Divina. I won't write a whole review, but I will be happy to answer any questions about the ship, activities, food or Yacht Club. I will say that I tried to sample many different things so I would have a balanced review of the whole ship, and not just he Yacht Club areas.

The quick summary is that the Divina is a great choice. We stayed in the beautiful Sophia Loren Royal Suite. We liked it so much we really did not want to leave it! Unfortunately, it is not easy to reserve so that might be our last time in it!

We have been on 30+ cruises and have sailed with all of the major cruise lines. We usually cruise on Celebrity most often. I will say that the food in Le Muse (the Yacht Club restaurant) was simply the best food we have experienced on any cruise, period. In fact, on most nights (and even some lunches) it was equivalent to some of the best restaurants we have been to. Every night the risotto was better than the next. The filet mignon was probably one of the best pieces of meat we have ever had anywhere, even at top steakhouses. Equally impressive was the service in Le Muse. The waiters were not overwhelmed like they usually are on other ships. We usually dine in Blu (aqua class) on Celebrity and I can safely say that Le Muse is on another level.

The Top Sail Lounge and One Pool were also very nice. Our butler Titan was very very nice. He would have done almost anything we asked, but honestly we didn't really use his services much. We did not really need him to do anything for us, but I am sure that others occupied his time. Some of the other service was a bit hit or miss, however. The bartenders and bar waiters at the One Pool (the ones who were not butlers) seemed to be unhappy and agitated most of the time. The bartenders in particular looked like they would have rather been anywhere else. That really was odd to me, considering that we would have been happy to tip any staff on the Divina who we felt we had good service from. We tipped extra to many staff members, but the bar tenders were not on that list. I guess they don't care? Most of the time, I actually felt guilty asking for a drink! They need to fix that.

Also, my partner went for a haircut at the salon in the spa. It was only $16 which seemed like a great deal. It included a 15% service charge, but when he asked the stylist about the tip she indicated that she didn't actually receive that tip. He would need to give her a cash tip in addition to the service charge. I do believe another company runs the spa services. If this is actually the case, I think that it is wrong.

The entertainment/shows were very good. The quality of the performers (and there are many of them unlike other cruise lines) was high. The tenor and soprano who sang the opera were amazing. The Michael Jackson impersonator was also very good. Being in the Yacht Club, we didn't have a chance to sample the entertainment in too many other lounges, but every time we walked through they had different live music playing in two or three different places at a time. I also noticed that Karoke was held almost every night, despite what I have read on other reviews.

All and all it was a great experience and one that we will repeat again. It felt as if we went to Italy for the week, and all we had to do was fly down to Miami. Like I said, if you have any questions, please feel free to ask!

I am booked next door (16005) to that cabin . Looking at a picture of the balcony in 16005 with the rail back as far as it looks, it looks like that would limit my view looking right or left. Did you have that feeling or view on your bacony?

Edited by FireEater

Just got back from an amazing week on the Divina. I won't write a whole review, but I will be happy to answer any questions about the ship, activities, food or Yacht Club. I will say that I tried to sample many different things so I would have a balanced review of the whole ship, and not just he Yacht Club areas.

The quick summary is that the Divina is a great choice. We stayed in the beautiful Sophia Loren Royal Suite. We liked it so much we really did not want to leave it! Unfortunately, it is not easy to reserve so that might be our last time in it!

We have been on 30+ cruises and have sailed with all of the major cruise lines. We usually cruise on Celebrity most often. I will say that the food in Le Muse (the Yacht Club restaurant) was simply the best food we have experienced on any cruise, period. In fact, on most nights (and even some lunches) it was equivalent to some of the best restaurants we have been to. Every night the risotto was better than the next. The filet mignon was probably one of the best pieces of meat we have ever had anywhere, even at top steakhouses. Equally impressive was the service in Le Muse. The waiters were not overwhelmed like they usually are on other ships. We usually dine in Blu (aqua class) on Celebrity and I can safely say that Le Muse is on another level.

The Top Sail Lounge and One Pool were also very nice. Our butler Titan was very very nice. He would have done almost anything we asked, but honestly we didn't really use his services much. We did not really need him to do anything for us, but I am sure that others occupied his time. Some of the other service was a bit hit or miss, however. The bartenders and bar waiters at the One Pool (the ones who were not butlers) seemed to be unhappy and agitated most of the time. The bartenders in particular looked like they would have rather been anywhere else. That really was odd to me, considering that we would have been happy to tip any staff on the Divina who we felt we had good service from. We tipped extra to many staff members, but the bar tenders were not on that list. I guess they don't care? Most of the time, I actually felt guilty asking for a drink! They need to fix that.

Also, my partner went for a haircut at the salon in the spa. It was only $16 which seemed like a great deal. It included a 15% service charge, but when he asked the stylist about the tip she indicated that she didn't actually receive that tip. He would need to give her a cash tip in addition to the service charge. I do believe another company runs the spa services. If this is actually the case, I think that it is wrong.

The entertainment/shows were very good. The quality of the performers (and there are many of them unlike other cruise lines) was high. The tenor and soprano who sang the opera were amazing. The Michael Jackson impersonator was also very good. Being in the Yacht Club, we didn't have a chance to sample the entertainment in too many other lounges, but every time we walked through they had different live music playing in two or three different places at a time. I also noticed that Karoke was held almost every night, despite what I have read on other reviews.

All and all it was a great experience and one that we will repeat again. It felt as if we went to Italy for the week, and all we had to do was fly down to Miami. Like I said, if you have any questions, please feel free to ask!

Thanks for the review Frederic!!! I'm glad you enjoyed the Yacht Club. We will agree that the food in LeMuse is incredible. The filet??? Absolutely fantastic and available every night!!!

We'll be staying in 16007(Sophia Loren Suite) in January. We've toured the stateroom twice now and were lucky enough to finally book it,,,but it's only a 3 day sail but that's ok!!! My girlfriend wouldn't be able to stand all that red for a whole week I don't think anyway.:eek:

I am booked next door (16005) to that cabin . Looking at a picture of the balcony in 16005 with the rail back as far as it looks, it looks like that would limit my view looking right or left. Did you have that feeling or view on your bacony?

This was taken from our stateroom(16008) which is the identical suite to 16007,,just on the starboard side. You won't have any view left or right because of the wind screen in front of you and the metal dividers between balconies. Pete,,Skier52,,has a great picture of the balcony itself. If I can find it,,I'll surely post it for you.

MSCDivina08-23-2014124of829_zpsc11369f7.jpg

Edited by Mikesa1721

Thanks Mike. That railing looks a lot closer then the other picture I saw. I do not think I will have a problem sticking my big fat head forward to peak a bit more to the right or left....

There's enough space between the railing and the wind screen to stand, so you should be able to get right up to the glass and see a little left and right,,it won't be the best view,,but you'll get something.

A few other thoughts...

I would definitely like to see the Yacht Club drink policy changed. YC guests should be given the package that allows them to get drinks throughout the ship. It makes no sense to only allow the complimentary drinks in the Yacht Club areas. With regards to the included spirits in the Yacht Club, I was satisfied until the second to last day of the cruise. Most of the week, I had been ordering a flavored Absolut vodka. I was never told there was a charge. However, one afternoon a different bar tender told me that it was extra. Apparently, the other bar tender had made a mistake in giving it to me for free. The problem is, on the drink menu, Absolut is listed as being complimentary. They told me because it is flavored there is a charge. To me, Absolut is Absolut.. one does not cost more than the other. It is the same brand. That left a bad taste in my mouth. I really do feel like MSC needs to work on the bar issues most of all.

The only other area for improvement would be the entertainment offered in the Top Sail lounge. Aside from less than 2 hours a day of a piano player, the lounge was almost completely silent. It would have been nice if they would rotate some different entertainment options up there each evening. Even if it is only for an hour or so.

Edited by Fredric22

A few other thoughts...

I would definitely like to see the Yacht Club drink policy changed. YC guests should be given the package that allows them to get drinks throughout the ship. It makes no sense to only allow the complimentary drinks in the Yacht Club areas. With regards to the included spirits in the Yacht Club, I was satisfied until the second to last day of the cruise. Most of the week, I had been ordering a flavored Absolut vodka. I was never told there was a charge. However, one afternoon a different bar tender told me that it was extra. Apparently, the other bar tender had made a mistake in giving it to me for free. The problem is, on the drink menu, Absolut is listed as being complimentary. They told me because it is flavored there is a charge. To me, Absolut is Absolut.. one does not cost more than the other. It is the same brand. That left a bad taste in my mouth. I really do feel like MSC needs to work on the bar issues most of all.

The only other area for improvement would be the entertainment offered in the Top Sail lounge. Aside from less than 2 hours a day of a piano player, the lounge was almost completely silent. It would have been nice if they would rotate some different entertainment options up there each evening. Even if it is only for an hour or so.

We were hoping maybe MSC would have changed the drink policy for YC members to include drinks beyond the YC venue in their new experience packages, but that didn't happen. The extra drink charges we incurred were minimal,,and quite honestly,,I wished we would have spent more so we could have received a couple more MSC club points.

The Top Sail Lounge is quite empty most of the day which is a shame because it is a nice place to sit and have a few drinks and some canapés before dinner.

thank you for your report, we feel it is good value for the price you paid?

Yes, definitely. The room was gorgeous. The food in the Le Muse was delicious. Having the private lounge and pool areas was a real perk. We did get a relatively good deal for the week, so for us it was certainly a good value. There would be a limit I would pay for a YC room, especially for one of the regular YC1 suites. They were comfortable, but not too much bigger than a regular balcony room. They were luxuriously decorated though, so that did make up for some of the size. I would have been happy there for a week, for 2 people. Any more guests than that it would have been too crowded.

We were hoping maybe MSC would have changed the drink policy for YC members to include drinks beyond the YC venue in their new experience packages, but that didn't happen. The extra drink charges we incurred were minimal,,and quite honestly,,I wished we would have spent more so we could have received a couple more MSC club points.

The Top Sail Lounge is quite empty most of the day which is a shame because it is a nice place to sit and have a few drinks and some canapés before dinner.

We have only cruised once, and that was in YC on MSC Splendida. I agree that expansion of the drinks package to the equivalent of the Classic Algrissimo with the option to upgrade to the Premium would suit most YC passengers.

Personally we were glad that the Top Sail lounge was empty most of the time as we found it a great place to sit, relax, chat and drink (and smoke for me), nibble on the buffet and read books/papers/tablets. Just like our lounge at home (but a lot bigger and my wife didn't force me outside for a smoke, only to the smoking area and there was waiter service, free drinks etc. etc.), so I suppose it's nothing :) like being at home at all, A LOT BETTER, that's why we've booked a 20 night cruise in YC for next year!!

At the sale prices we got it's almost cheaper than staying at home!!

Edited by AVACTION

We have only cruised once, and that was in YC on MSC Splendida. I agree that expansion of the drinks package to the equivalent of the Classic Algrissimo with the option to upgrade to the Premium would suit most YC passengers.

Personally we were glad that the Top Sail lounge was empty most of the time as we found it a great place to sit, relax, chat and drink (and smoke for me), nibble on the buffet and read books/papers/tablets. Just like our lounge at home (but a lot bigger and my wife didn't force me outside for a smoke, only to the smoking area and there was waiter service, free drinks etc. etc.), so I suppose it's nothing :) like being at home at all, A LOT BETTER, that's why we've booked a 20 night cruise in YC for next year!!

Nice AVOCATION!!! We're doing the 19 day repo on Divina next October in the YC!! This will be our first time to Europe so we're very excited about this trip!!!

Hi Avaction

I'm also a smoker, and it's not good news. There is no smoking on the Davina, we were in the U.S. in September and had to go outside

Nice AVOCATION!!! We're doing the 19 day repo on Divina next October in the YC!! This will be our first time to Europe so we're very excited about this trip!!!

Hi Mike

We are also sailing in the yc on the grand voyage. Which cabin do you have this time

We did a B2B on the Divina this summer and we noticed how empty the TopSail Lounge was. Previously we have sailed YC in the Mediterranean Sea several times and the Top Sail is much more popular there. Plenty of people in the evenings and I suspect that the no smoking policy in the Caribbean is the reason. On Med sailings they have a smoking section in the TopSail.

We did a B2B on the Divina this summer and we noticed how empty the TopSail Lounge was. Previously we have sailed YC in the Mediterranean Sea several times and the Top Sail is much more popular there. Plenty of people in the evenings and I suspect that the no smoking policy in the Caribbean is the reason. On Med sailings they have a smoking section in the TopSail.

It was the same when we were there, really empty in the evening. I know it's a wee bit selfish on my part, but I hope it's the same on the grand voyage next year ;)

Yes smokers are a dying breed and I can see why MSC does not allow smoking on the Divina due to American influence. I am used to having to smoke outside but will really miss the Cigar Bar. I understand that it has been converted to "high end" shops on the Preziosa. Even my wife (who is an anti-smoker) enjoyed the atmosphere in there and would try a puff of my cigar with a port or brandy in the Cigar Bar after dinner. We enjoyed the Cigar Bars in San Francisco but not the one we tried in San Diego as they did not serve spirits (only beer & wine).

I think I'll start a new thread dedicated to comments on the rights of smokers vs. non-smokers on cruises .... yes or no?

Yes smokers are a dying breed and I can see why MSC does not allow smoking on the Divina due to American influence. I am used to having to smoke outside but will really miss the Cigar Bar. I understand that it has been converted to "high end" shops on the Preziosa. Even my wife (who is an anti-smoker) enjoyed the atmosphere in there and would try a puff of my cigar with a port or brandy in the Cigar Bar after dinner. We enjoyed the Cigar Bars in San Francisco but not the one we tried in San Diego as they did not serve spirits (only beer & wine).

I think I'll start a new thread dedicated to comments on the rights of smokers vs. non-smokers on cruises .... yes or no?

My oh my I can just imagine some of the comments from the anti smokers. Strangely enough I didn't like the cigar lounge on the divina, it was even too Smokey for me. Like you I'm used to smoking outside. Having said that I really like it when on the odd occasion you can have a few drinks and smoke inside

Hi Mike

We are also sailing in the yc on the grand voyage. Which cabin do you have this time

Excellent JPR61!!! We have two staterooms JPR61,,,16033 and 16035. My girlfriend, her daughter and myself will be in 16035 and my girlfriend's mother, sister and brother will be in 16033.

My oh my I can just imagine some of the comments from the anti smokers. Strangely enough I didn't like the cigar lounge on the divina, it was even too Smokey for me. Like you I'm used to smoking outside. Having said that I really like it when on the odd occasion you can have a few drinks and smoke inside

I agree about the cigar bar on the Divina - way to smokey smelling. I like the smell of cigars but it didn't smell like that, it smelled like old dank smoke.

In Europe, the port side of the Top Sail lounge is a smoking section but in the Caribbean they do not allow smoking. Which leaves deck 17 outside by the one pool as the only place in the yacht club to smoke. Which is fine to me except that each night around 7pm they put away all the tables and chairs as well as ashtrays. I don't mind that the deck is the only place to smoke but at least make it hospitable.

Edited by mrstrod