What's a great place for lunch in Grand Turk?

mconthehighseas

I responded to your other thread about golf carts, but since you'll have transportation you'll be coming in from the road side, not the beach side. Let me give you a warning about Jack's Shack... When you pull into the place from the road, it looks like a dump and doesn't look safe. Do NOT let this fool you. It's very safe and isn't a dump. Not sure why they don't clean that area up a little bit. Just walk around the building to the beach side and you'll love it. I promise. Just be sure to show Topher (the dog) some love.

If you are driving around in a golf cart go into Cockburntown.. The SandBar is a great lunch spot. Right on the ocean front with a deck over looking the beach. Good food and good service and, unlike Jack's not usually crowded with the drinking crowd. Also if you want a slightly more "rustic" spot. Go to John's Oceanview at the north end of town. Fully on the beach with excellent local sea food.

Finally, if you are back in port and looking for an alternative to Jack's and Margaritaville, there's a relatively new spot on the south side of the pier called Beached Whale. Less crowded and cheaper than MV, wider menu than Jack's, which serves mainly jerk chicken, burgers and such.

If you are driving around in a golf cart go into Cockburntown.. The SandBar is a great lunch spot. Right on the ocean front with a deck over looking the beach. Good food and good service and, unlike Jack's not usually crowded with the drinking crowd. Also if you want a slightly more "rustic" spot. Go to John's Oceanview at the north end of town. Fully on the beach with excellent local sea food.

Finally, if you are back in port and looking for an alternative to Jack's and Margaritaville, there's a relatively new spot on the south side of the pier called Beached Whale. Less crowded and cheaper than MV, wider menu than Jack's, which serves mainly jerk chicken, burgers and such.

You always give such good advice. Thank you Crew! I had not heard of the Beached Whale, but we will be sure to check it out in a couple of weeks. Bummer that we are only in port from 7-2 (and therefore, were not planning to spend time eating lunch) but we can at least get some apps.

You always give such good advice. Thank you Crew! I had not heard of the Beached Whale, but we will be sure to check it out in a couple of weeks. Bummer that we are only in port from 7-2 (and therefore, were not planning to spend time eating lunch) but we can at least get some apps.

Thrilled, we wanted to go to town for John's or Sandbar, but our short time in port (same as yours) was discouraging. We were VERY happy with the food, atmosphere and lack of crowds at the Beached Whale! Wish I would have discovered it earlier in the day. We sat at M'ville for about an hour before wandering over to the Whale. We would have spent the entire day there if we would have known. Not a fan of Jack's, bad experience there a couple years ago so loved the music, food, prices, service and view from the Beached Whale. Go early and get a clamshell (free to use). Worth it!

If I search Beached Whale, it's coming up as a restaurant owned by Margarittaville.

Interesting. That probably means that Jimmy B. has the food and bevie concession at the cruise port. (Yeah, yeah I know he's no longer the owner and GT location is a franchise). But it's a different vibe and different menu than MV.

Thrilled, we wanted to go to town for John's or Sandbar, but our short time in port (same as yours) was discouraging. We were VERY happy with the food, atmosphere and lack of crowds at the Beached Whale! Wish I would have discovered it earlier in the day. We sat at M'ville for about an hour before wandering over to the Whale. We would have spent the entire day there if we would have known. Not a fan of Jack's, bad experience there a couple years ago so loved the music, food, prices, service and view from the Beached Whale. Go early and get a clamshell (free to use). Worth it!

Great info...thanks so much for your feedback!!

• 2 months later...

Just got back from our cruise, and we took a golf cart for a short run around the island. We found out that Sand Bar is no more - it looks like it had a fire. We tried to eat at John's, but wasn't open when we got there, because they were doing repairs to the building. One of the workers directed us to Barbie's, across the street. It's small place with tables outside and 2 more inside, and we ordered our food from Barbie. She stands at a counter inside, and everything is made fresh. We enjoyed eating what the locals did!

Just got back from our cruise, and we took a golf cart for a short run around the island. We found out that Sand Bar is no more - it looks like it had a fire. We tried to eat at John's, but wasn't open when we got there, because they were doing repairs to the building. One of the workers directed us to Barbie's, across the street. It's small place with tables outside and 2 more inside, and we ordered our food from Barbie. She stands at a counter inside, and everything is made fresh. We enjoyed eating what the locals did!

OH, Sad news about the SandBar. Hope they can find a way to reopen or start fresh somewhere. John's does need work on that building, LOL. Barbies has been around a long time and is/has been beyond a doubt a local's local. But really good conch fritters, last time I was there.

How much to rent golf cart?

We used Karib Auto Rental and paid $90, plus $6 for gas and we added a tip. They have a website, and I paid $45 in advance. on it.

I had pictured an office outside the cruise center, but there was just a woman sitting in our cart waiting for us. This is not a very commercial area!