Ports in Asia

florence11

We are looking at cruising in Asia stopping at places like,

Ho Chi Minh, Hue, Kota Kinabalu, Phu mai and Nha Trang, these ports are not all on the same itinerary its just different options we are looking at. I would like to know where the ships dock and is there anything near the port that is of any interest or do you need to travel more inland. I am travelling as part of a group and a couple of them do not really want to go far so any help would be much appreciated.

Ho Chi Minh, Hue, Kota Kinabalu, Phu mai and Nha Trang, these ports are not all on the same itinerary its just different options we are looking at. I would like to know where the ships dock and is there anything near the port that is of any interest or do you need to travel more inland. I am travelling as part of a group and a couple of them do not really want to go far so any help would be much appreciated.

If you search this thread under each of the above named places you will find a wealth of information to assist you.

Also have a look at Trip Advisor for each of the cities named and there will again be lots of information to be had

Ho Chi Minh, Hue, Kota Kinabalu, Phu mai and Nha Trang, these ports are not all on the same itinerary its just different options we are looking at. I would like to know where the ships dock and is there anything near the port that is of any interest or do you need to travel more inland. I am traveling as part of a group and a couple of them do not really want to go far so any help would be much appreciated.

just come off a RC Voyager of the Seas - HK-Singapore cruise which stopped at two of the these ports.

1. Ho Chi Minh City. NOTE - larger ships use the commercial port of Phu My to dock at. This is in the middle of nowhere - and is some 90mins drive into HCMC. As noted - there is NOTHING at this port except containers. You will need to arrange a cruise tour (recommended) or try and tout a taxi or pre-arranged trip into HCMC at your own risk !!! (you may need to pay a driver a return journey fee if they were to come out this far !!).

The cruise that we were on was in port for 2 days (2nd day we stayed onboard due to the departure time of 5pm- which would require you departing HCMC at around 2.30pm to get back in time - therefore this is a quick, wasted day)

As noted - it is a 90min bus drive into HCMC - so whatever cruise you are on you will need to judge the time it takes to get there - PLUS the time to explore the city - and time back to the ship.

2. Nha Trang. Cruise ships of the RC type anchor near the port of Cau Da (as there is a cable car to Vinpearl island across the port which prohibits further travel into the port). Ships use tenders. This port is about 6kms out of the 'town'. We found that unless you organised a trip - you were basically 'on your own' with little information from RC. We caught a bus 7000 dong (public bus number 4) into the main part of Nha Trang - but it is overwhelming with bikes !!! Ensure that you have some Vietnamese currency / Dong before proceeding anywhere. If you are elderly - then you may have some difficulty with Nha Trang

We had arranged a private tour in Nha Trang but the person did not show up. But at the gates was an organizer who spoke English. He matched us with a driver who took us every place we wanted to go at an inexpensive price. He did not "guide" us, but we did not much care. Sometimes I just like to see something without somebody nattering on. We had read something of the history of the place, and that was enough. You will have no problem getting a taxi that will take you anywhere you want to go. We went to the Buddha, the river, the market, the ruins, and a few other places and got back with plenty of time to spare. There is a small souvenir market on the dock as well with good prices and a number of interesting things to buy.

Avoid the lacquered eggshell covered items. The shell pieces eventually just pop off.

We used dollars everywhere. Our guide in HCMC told us nobody wants Dong. Our bank couldn't supply it.

Edited by GrandmaHofmann

I have the same idea. You should book cruise tours in Vietnam to enjoy. For Halong, you should book cruise from Hanoi to get more promotions than in Halong such as free transfer from Hanoi to Halong

Ignore this post - is an agency touting for business