Rotterdam currency exchange

We are going to be taking a tour in Shetland Islands for which we need GPB in cash for the tour. Our 2 weeks pre cruise will be in Germany and France and we embark in Rotterdam. We live in USA. Where would you exchange money ?-- I don't think we will have time in Shetland Islands and don't want to carry around 150 pounds too long. In Rotterdam, we will be staying at the downtown Hilton and we will be at the Rotterdam airport to turn in rental car. Suggestions for money exchange please . Dollars to Pounds or Euros to Pounds best? Euros will not be used rest of the trip.

Edited by Bowie MeMe

Can you use cash machines(can the tour stop by one) or will they take credit cards.

Is Shetland the first gbp stop?

Maybe to have a chat on the roll call and get a Brit to change money with you.

We are happy to do this for people as we can always use £$€.

Thank You and I should have added those details. There are hopefully 8 people (4 couples) (65 pounds per person -- I am contact but don't know if I have to worry about settling the bill for all or almost 500 GBP. ) Shetland Island the only stop for British pounds. No stops even use Euros -- Kroners of various types and Canadian and US dollars. Stop in Shetlands pretty short -- 9-1 for tour 8-4 for port. The US is awful for getting other currencies -- really a pain. Local banks just look at you like -- you mean there is something other than $? The guide asked for GBP so I think it might be hard to exchange in Lerwick and around the archeological sights. Perhaps Rotterdam airport currency exchange is best or is there anywhere near the Hilton in Rotterdam?

Edited by Bowie MeMe

The US is awful for getting other currencies -- really a pain. Local banks just look at you like -- you mean there is something other than $? The guide asked for GBP so I think it might be hard to exchange in Lerwick and around the archeological sights.

Given your unique set of challenges I'm going to suggest you take another pass at converting your USD into GBP before you leave the US. Bowie isn't one of the close in suburbs of Washington, DC where the clients might be from every a dozen different countries, but it is hardly the middle of nowhere.

I wouldn't let some know-nothing give you a stupid look and defeat you. Ask to see the branch manager, and make your request of him/her. I'm sure you're not expecting the local bank to have international currency on hand, but there's a procedure in place to order international currency from the regional bank location. If the branch manager looks at you blankly, tell him/her to call the regional location and ask about the procedure. (For all I know the bank's internal web site explains the procedure without any phone call.)

The one thing I haven't asked is about the bank you use. My husband and I use Citibank which is itself an international bank. Other banks like Bank of America have partner banks in various countries all over the world. I think Bank of America's partner bank is Barclay Bank, a UK bank. Although I think any bank should be able to order some foreign currency for you, it may be easier to approach a bank that routinely does international transactions.

There's a branch of Citibank on Rockville Pike (Rte 355) at the intersection of Wootoon Pkwy that has its windows plastered with signs written in Asian characters. And there's another with similar foreign language signs on W. Montgomery Avenue somewhat west of the exit off of I 270. That bank may not request GBP as often as whatever currency corresponds to the language on the signs, but they're clearly used to dealing with international customers.

Don't give up!! Teaching the bank employees how to do their job really seems like the easiest course of action.

OK thanks. If I don't get it before hand I bet the guide will find a way! Never in all my years of travel has the guide not taken money! I do try to ask and have it in my email exactly what the deal is and what is covered and what the cost is and payment method. I try. I really try. Now of course you just have to hope your chip and signature cards work in Europe. Early on in credit card terms, I had an adventure when a bank in Norway "ate" my card and told me in Norwegian that I could get it back on Monday. PANIC.

As Ine said, use the GWK Travelex exchange office at Rotterdam Airport in the departures hall:

At the Rotterdam airport you will find this office to exchange money. I suggest you send them an email before to be sure they have enough English pounds in stock.

https://www.gwktravelex.nl/vestigingen/gwk-travelex-rotterdam-airport/2214

No need to already carry GBP with you from the States, cost might be even cheaper in Rotterdam or similar.