Bar Harbor in APRIL? 2nd visit to BH.

StartrainDD

Our cruise visits Bar Harbor on Wednesday, April 26. We've been to Bar Harbor once before, on a glorious fall day, and took Ollie's Trolley long tour of Arcadia.

Reading some of the posts on this board it appears many establishments may not be open in April. Best suggestions for what to see / do? DW can't do long walks or hikes. A few blocks is fine.

We do not need to plan a full “Lunch” stop (we have plenty of food on the ship) but a lite bite of an area specialty would be welcome (Lobster is not in season for sure). We prefer to see more rather than sit in a restaurant.

We are not opposed to organizing a private group tour either! Thanks all!

Some lobsters do not have a season; found this with a Google search:

Maine Lobster Season

Soft Shell Maine Lobsters

Summer in Maine is the time for soft shell lobsters. Adult lobsters molt in the summer months, so soft shell lobsters (sometimes called “shedders” or shedder lobsters) start coming into the local markets in June and become more plentiful as the summer progresses.

Hard Shell Maine Lobsters

There is no special Maine lobster season for the hard-shell lobsters that are more commonly shipped out of state, since lobstering is done year-round in the waters off Maine.

More lobsters are caught in the summer months than during the winter, but that is mainly because the demand is higher due to tourism, and because the working conditions are easier. During the winter months, lobsters move further offshore, requiring lobster boats to travel greater distances, and the harsh weather makes it more difficult for fishermen to work. But lobsters are trapped throughout the year, so there is no “best time of the year” to order live Maine lobsters; you can enjoy them whenever you want a delicious treat.

I looked at the excursions being offered, and I wasn't impressed. Do you want to tour ANP, again? There is the Historic Lighthouses & Acadia National Park by Sea excursion, would this interest you?

I see that you are on your roll call. Are any of your cruise mates planning anything special? Maybe you could join them or gets some ideas.

SBtS

We went on the lighthouse excursion last August and loved it. We take lots of photographs, so we found we stayed on the outside of the boat for the entire excursion.

Downtown Bar Harbor isn't very large, so perhaps you can walk around a bit.

We will be on the cruise following yours. How did you enjoy the long Acadia tour with Oli's? That's what we are thinking about doing this year.

Edited by Cruise_More_Often

I will look into the lighthouse excursion. We greatly enjoyed something similar in Portland, ME a few years back; they had seven lighthouses on the tour.

We very much enjoyed the "Longer" Ollie's trolley tour into Arcadia. I would actually have preferred maybe 10 more minutes at each of the three major stops. OTOH my parents were with us (late 70's at the time) and it was cool and (very) windy up top so they were quick to return to the bus!

I know our cruise does not go to Portland but if we ever get back there for a full day call I would like to do the "Mail boat" run.

There is a mail boat which runs year round from Northeast Harbor, MDI to the Cranberry Islands (2).

You would have to take a taxi from BH to NEH, and return. Taxi ride would be about 25 minutes in each direction.

SBtS

Now that sounds like fun. Is it something that can be safely done, timewise?

I would like to return to Portland as well. The only time we were there, we decided to go to the main LL Bean store (I know, LOL). We ended up with some nice clothes, but . . .

Now that sounds like fun. Is it something that can be safely done, timewise?

I would like to return to Portland as well. The only time we were there, we decided to go to the main LL Bean store (I know, LOL). We ended up with some nice clothes, but . . .

From your earlier post in this thread, I see that you'll be in BH on 5/12 from 8 to 5, correct?

Looking at the schedule that is at the link provided in my earlier post, The mail boat will be on its Spring/ Fall Schedule, and only makes four round per day. The first is too early and the last is too late.

If I were doing it, I would take the early of the 2 remaining departures. Unless you are willing to return to NEH on the next run, you will only be taking a boat ride with stops for drop offs and pick ups.

You'll have to go to NEH from BH by taxi, and coordinate a pickup with the taxi driver for the return to BH.

Doing this will take up most of the hours of your visit.

What is the next port-of-call?

SBtS

Thank you for all the information on the Mail Boat, SBtS. Yes, we will be in BH on 5/12. The next day will be Boston and the end of the cruise. It does sound like the Mail Boat might not be the best use of our time in Bar Harbor since they will still be on the spring schedule. Darn!

I got really excited about the little trip when I found this link (with great photos): http://roadslesstraveled.us/mail-boat-ferry-ride-northeast-harbor-cranberry-island-islesford-maine/

It makes me want to return to BH on a land trip. If only we didn't live so far away.

Thank you for all the information on the Mail Boat, SBtS. Yes, we will be in BH on 5/12. The next day will be Boston and the end of the cruise. It does sound like the Mail Boat might not be the best use of our time in Bar Harbor since they will still be on the spring schedule. Darn!

I got really excited about the little trip when I found this link (with great photos): http://roadslesstraveled.us/mail-boat-ferry-ride-northeast-harbor-cranberry-island-islesford-maine/

It makes me want to return to BH on a land trip. If only we didn't live so far away.

Also note that the schedules for the mail boat, like the mail boat run in Portland, is somewhat flexible as it depends on how much cargo is being delivered to each island. Portland's mailboat is 3.5-4.5 hours depending on cargo.

Thank you, chengkp75. We'll do the Acadia Park tour instead of the mail boat.

Dress warmly at Acadia Park. We were there in October 2x and both times I was glad to have gloves and ear protection when at the higher elevations. It was extremely windy. Not sure what May temps bring but I would be prepared.

I have also done the lighthouse tour via boat and enjoyed walking around town.

Great port!

• 5 weeks later...

We settled on the Lulu lobster boat afternoon tour. The day we are there (April 26) is the first day they are offering the tour in 2017. The morning tour is a 'ships tour' while the afternoon one is booked independently. Hopefully the afternoon will be a bit warmer!

http://lululobsterboat.com/

In the morning we may walk around a little after a leisurely breakfast as last visit we never got off the waterfront street.

All the best!