port days

SALAD MUNCHER

Hi, I apologise in advance if this question has been asked previously, but I have searched and could not find the answer. I wanted to know whether Cunard have now followed Princess and other lines in closing their main dining room for lunch on Port Days? I really didn't like the 'bun fight' that was on Princess during lunchtimes in Port, where everyone seemed to arrive at the same time and tables were full and people were wandering around with their food on trays searching for seats - it was awful!

The Britainnia restaurant was open on port days on QM2 in December, as far as I know the only time it's closed is embarkation days.

If there had been a change I'm sure it would have been mentioned. I'm not a fan of buffets and would always choose the dining room when it's open.

In 2011 when I boarded QM2 for the first time in Southampton I was suitably impressed that afternoon tea was served on embarkation day.

But on my multi-leg sailing in 2013 there was lunch in Britannia on turnaround day in Southampton, but no tea. Two days earlier in Hamburg (where there appeared to be a larger passenger turnover than Southampton) there was neither. All other port days, both.

Thank goodness! That's great news. I am taking my elderly mother for a week on QV in June and she can only manage an hour's walking so I tend to take her out twice, once morning and again after lunch. This means we can go back to the ship and relax over lunch before setting off again! Hopefully it will always stay like this on Cunard ships...:)

The Britainnia restaurant was open on port days on QM2 in December, as far as I know the only time it's closed is embarkation days.

Which options are available for lunch on embarkation days? Only Kings Court? Or will the Golden Lion pub also be open?

Also, we will have a stop in Southampton on our trip which I assume will be a port where people embark/disembark (I know the TA is sold both as New York - Southampton and New York - Hamburg plus it seems Southampton - Hamburg is also sold as a seperate 4-day cruise in Germany). Will the Britannia restaurant be closed for everyone or just for people who embark?

Kings Court is open - I've heard various reports about The Golden Lion, I've never thought to check.

On days where it's only a partial turnaround - World Cruises, multi-stop transatlantics etc I would expect Britannia to be open, that's certainly what fishywood reported above.

Kings Court is open - I've heard various reports about The Golden Lion, I've never thought to check.
In my experience in the last eighteen months (five QM2 trips) the Golden Lion has sometimes been open for lunch, and sometimes not.

I think it can depend on one's definition of an embarkation or turnaround day (or rather Cunard's) (could also depend on staff levels?). I've yet to see a pattern emerging despite many visits over the years. I always make a point of checking before heading for the Kings Court.

Another place I check on summer days with sunshine and no high winds, is the Boardwalk Cafe. Simply take the "D" lifts to Deck 12 and pop my head out the door. Several times I've been surprised and delighted to find it open, and have enjoyed lunch outdoors on the top deck...

here:

QM2 ...back on board and the BOARDWALK CAFE is open...

and here:

QM2 The Boardwalk Cafe

Best wishes,

Edited by pepperrn