Boarding Procedures US Air

toberman

Other than for kids/disabled/1st class etc - how does boarding work with US Air?? Is it back to front, or some other formula?

Reason I ask, is because of people taking on too much, or oversized carry-ons and am trying to make a plan so there's enough room for my legally sized stuff. Don't mind being last off (ie. sit at the back) if it means getting on earlier. Even at the back we'll still get to baggage claim before the bags do!! :)

Other than for kids/disabled/1st class etc - how does boarding work with US Air?? Is it back to front, or some other formula?

Reason I ask, is because of people taking on too much, or oversized carry-ons and am trying to make a plan so there's enough room for my legally sized stuff. Don't mind being last off (ie. sit at the back) if it means getting on earlier. Even at the back we'll still get to baggage claim before the bags do!! :)

Hi Doug,

Besides all the usual stuff you mentioned, those who have the U S Air Preferred credit card get to board early, as well as those that paid for preferred access. Then you board by zones, but I don't think it's front to back, etc. It must have something to do with when you check in, because I've been seated in row 18 and had zone 2 and have been in row 6 and had zone 4. When I flew on them last month I was in row 4 and had zone 2.

It was hard to see a pattern the times I've used them.

Hi Doug,

Besides all the usual stuff you mentioned, those who have the U S Air Preferred credit card get to board early, as well as those that paid for preferred access. Then you board by zones, but I don't think it's front to back, etc. It must have something to do with when you check in, because I've been seated in row 18 and had zone 2 and have been in row 6 and had zone 4. When I flew on them last month I was in row 4 and had zone 2.

It was hard to see a pattern the times I've used them.

Thanks Tracy

Your roll-call looks awesome!! :) Keep looking for Billy-Bob to show up.:D

I fly US Airways almost every week and am top tier Frequent Flyer with them, so I've got some expertise on this. It does not work quite the way teh previous poster described.

In this order:

Disabled

Military in uniform

First class

Zone 1 Preferred's who didn't get an upgrade and certain bulkhead seats

Sometimes people traveling with children under two--they police this very well and make no exceptions

Then Front-to-Back:

Zone 2 First 25% of coach and those with US Airways credit cards, those who paid for preferred access, and those continuing on the same equipment on a direct flight (seldom more than a few people fit this category) and certain bulkhead and exit row seats without under seat space in front of them.

Zone 3 Next 25% rows in coach

Zone 4 Next 25% rows in coach

Zone 5 Last rows in coach

Best way to guarantee overhead space is to either pay for preferred access, one of the "green" (extra cost) seats on the seat map, or choose a seat in the first eight rows of coach. After that it's a total crap shoot. I've seem bins full before zone three finished boarding, I've seen even the last people in zone five have overhead space.

By the way, US has gotten really good about policing the size and number of carry on's, even for first class and top tier elite flyers.

DH and I flew USAirways last weekend with zero status and we don't have their credit card.

He got Boarding Zone 2 on the outbound because I paid an extra $25 for him to get an aisle seat. I got Boarding Zone 5, which was OK- we had only one bag that needed to go overhead so he brought it on. You can also pay $15 for priority boarding, which you pay when you check-in on-line. I was glad I turned that down for myself when I printed out DH's BP and found he got Zone 2. (We were on 2 separate records because one was paid, one on miles.)

So, for a few bucks there are ways to get on earlier. I wouldn't trust the back-to-front sequence anymore. I was seated in the back and still got Zone 5 checking in almost exactly 24 hours beforehand.

Did I read correctly, that they board primarily front to back? That's unusual. The one advantage is taht those boarding first may not walk to the back to put stuff in overhead bins not over their rows (whereas with back-to-front boarding, sometimes those seated in the rear will put bags in overhead bins wherever they see one with space, leaving those who actually sit there, and who board afterwards, without space).

Boarding planes is a hassle for the poor people in coach

You know - all the years i've been flying I've thought boarding is actually more of a hassle for first class. They rush you on the plane first, you get your bags ready and get a drink - nice right? But then you have the entire rest of the plane on many planes enter and hit your elbows, bang their large handbags into your face, your shoulders, etc. Many times i've flown business or first and I always have an aisle seat and i end up getting bruises because of people banging their luggage down the aisles. At least folks in Coach don't have the entire plane going past them.

Rushing to get on the plane first isn't always worth it.... unless your on a large plane where they have separate doors for boarding where first is boarded by itself. Worst case you can always plane check the bag.

It really is worst case if you have to 'plane check' your bag IMO

I would never let our valuables out of our control.

It's too easy for them to accidentally be lost. I keep a small canvas tote layed flat on top of our rollaboard. In the event they force us to give it up, I would remove our camera, jewelry and medications before handing it over. The small canvas tote can fit under any seat on any plane and I won't have to give over valuables. I packed these things as carryons for a reason.

JMO......

You know - all the years i've been flying I've thought boarding is actually more of a hassle for first class. They rush you on the plane first, you get your bags ready and get a drink - nice right? But then you have the entire rest of the plane on many planes enter and hit your elbows, bang their large handbags into your face, your shoulders, etc..

Depends on how they use the entry doors. If done right, you turn left to your seat while the common people turn right. A good airport even uses different jetways.

Depends on how they use the entry doors. If done right, you turn left to your seat while the common people turn right. A good airport even uses different jetways.
Of course, you need an aircraft with multiple doors for that to work. On the 757, you can "turn left" into first if the gate has a jetway that will extend out to 2L. But on the ubiquitous 737, it's just enter through 1L. Same with A319, A320. MD80/90, 717.

Of course, you need an aircraft with multiple doors for that to work. On the 757, you can "turn left" into first if the gate has a jetway that will extend out to 2L. But on the ubiquitous 737, it's just enter through 1L. Same with A319, A320. MD80/90, 717.

Oh, they should make those in the back board up stairs and through the rear doors like at BUR. Too bad M-80/80s don't come with the tailcone stairs anymore.

You know - all the years i've been flying I've thought boarding is actually more of a hassle for first class. They rush you on the plane first, you get your bags ready and get a drink - nice right? But then you have the entire rest of the plane on many planes enter and hit your elbows, bang their large handbags into your face, your shoulders, etc. Many times i've flown business or first and I always have an aisle seat and i end up getting bruises because of people banging their luggage down the aisles. At least folks in Coach don't have the entire plane going past them.

Rushing to get on the plane first isn't always worth it.... unless your on a large plane where they have separate doors for boarding where first is boarded by itself. Worst case you can always plane check the bag.

Since you know this will happen and you don't prepare yourself for it (or take a window seat) I can't see how you have anyone but yourself to blame.

board last. i am almost always the last person on the plane. amazingly, i get there the same time as everyone else.

Did I read correctly, that they board primarily front to back? That's unusual. The one advantage is taht those boarding first may not walk to the back to put stuff in overhead bins not over their rows (whereas with back-to-front boarding, sometimes those seated in the rear will put bags in overhead bins wherever they see one with space, leaving those who actually sit there, and who board afterwards, without space).

Yes, generally speaking they board front to back.

It depends on the equipment. Not all have non-emergency access behind first class.

board last. i am almost always the last person on the plane. amazingly, i get there the same time as everyone else.

You might arrive at the same time, but that doesn't mean you'll be on your way at the same time. I don't check a bag, and have express service for car rentals, so I'm often driving away before the final passengers get off the plane--let alone wait for their luggage.

You might arrive at the same time, but that doesn't mean you'll be on your way at the same time. I don't check a bag, and have express service for car rentals, so I'm often driving away before the final passengers get off the plane--let alone wait for their luggage.

so you need alot of carryon space. there's the problem then... nothing is perfect (least of all air travel).

I typically do that these days - i'm not the last rushing to get on the plane - but i'm not the first either. Only problem is if i'm with family or a Colleague who is of the mindset of 'gotta be first on the plane!!!'. If it's someone who doesn't fly much it's better to let them indulge to calm their flight nervousness.

Now going through TSA or Customs - that's a whole 'nother story.......

so you need alot of carryon space. there's the problem then... nothing is perfect (least of all air travel).

I don't see the problem. My 20" roll aboard fits wheels in and my tote goes under the seat in front of me.

Archived