Mahogany Bay snorkeling?

alyssa0922

How is the snorkeling at MB? My DH looooves snorkeling and I am trying to find a place that would work for him and would be friendly and safe for our then 15 month old.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I do not know what you consider a bunch. I can tell you Roatan is an island off the coast of a third world country and there are people trying to feed their families. Yes, there are vendors on West Bay Beach.

West Bay Beach is also the best walk in reef snorkeling on the island.

If you prefer something more private:

Little French Cay may suit, one has to take a boat to the reef. I do not know how shallow the water is, I know there is a lagoon-ish.

Fantasy Island may suit, your husband would have to cross a deep channel to get to the better snorkeling and it may not entertain him for long. They have a man made lagoon for your child.

I am told Maya Cay has good snorkeling, not from the beach but a pier. I get concerned about currents on that area. They offer snorkeling guides. You would have to ask around about the water at the shore line.

I do not know what you consider a bunch. I can tell you Roatan is an island off the coast of a third world country and there are people trying to feed their families. Yes, there are vendors on West Bay Beach.

West Bay Beach is also the best walk in reef snorkeling on the island.

If you prefer something more private:

Little French Cay may suit, one has to take a boat to the reef. I do not know how shallow the water is, I know there is a lagoon-ish.

Fantasy Island may suit, your husband would have to cross a deep channel to get to the better snorkeling and it may not entertain him for long. They have a man made lagoon for your child.

I am told Maya Cay has good snorkeling, not from the beach but a pier. I get concerned about currents on that area. They offer snorkeling guides. You would have to ask around about the water at the shore line.

We were at Maya Key a couple of weeks ago. You cannot go off by beach, have to go off end of pier. Main problem was it was so crowded and the trail through the coral is narrow. My DD ended up being pushed up against coral by a kid. Also, we had just snorkeled in Belize. It did not compare. Coral near pier was brown with few fish. Once further out past the trail it improved when it got deeper. We will not go back again. If we go back to Roatan will arrange for private reef snorkel and private driver through either Rony or Victor Bodden.

How is the snorkeling at MB? My DH looooves snorkeling and I am trying to find a place that would work for him and would be friendly and safe for our then 15 month old.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Tabyana is the best

• 2 weeks later...

Take a taxi to the Mayan Princess Hotel. The beach is nice, and you can hire a little boat with a guide to take you a little ways to the reef. At the hotel you can use changing and restroom facilities, and beach chairs, snacks, and other beach activities are available.

• 1 month later...
So back to the original question - how is the snorkeling in MB? We have a little time to kill and might get in the water at MB. I know it wont be like the "good" areas, but is it worth it at all?

I have never heard any good things about the snorkling at MB, I have heard people say the end of the pier is fair.

This is Google Earth image of MB. If you look at the lower part of the screen you can see the pier people are talking about... there may be reef system out between the deep blue and the pier. MB is on the wind ward side of the island..I would be very careful about the waves pushing..it also maybe it is to deep to see much.

If you go, please do let us know what you think.

For comparison, this is West Bay.. see all the wonderful reef system between the beach and the deep blue?

So back to the original question - how is the snorkeling in MB? We have a little time to kill and might get in the water at MB. I know it wont be like the "good" areas, but is it worth it at all?

We've been to Roatan many times over the years so on our last port stop there we spent the day at MB since all we wanted was a beach day.

Actually, we liked sitting at the rail in the beach bar and went in the water from time to time. The beach area was pretty and quite clean. We didn't snorkel but some did. They told us there was an area off to the side that wasn't great snorkeling but wasn't awful.

LuLu

At the entrance to the cove past the cabanas there is a small pier near the breakwater where you might see something. The bottom of the cove at MBCC is silty and gets stirred up by ship props. There is a small inlet just before the beach that leads down to the ocean You can rent snorkel gear there, if you want to. This is where they let you kayak. You might find something down there or stop you kayak and go out into the ocean, but you're on your own doing this.

In regards to bringing you own gear, if MBCC is the only place you have an opportunity to snorkel and you're not going to West Bay while in Roatan, then leave the gear at home.