Silver Whisper (World Cruise) Dry Dock Update Dec 2013

carefreecruise

Whisper pulled out of Fort Laudable and right away started asking each employee what’s new and all I got was” we as employees are all new also, brought in from other silver sea ships”. After a little while I found out the bar on the fifth floor was redone and looks great.

Ship was updated with new televisions and internet system, buts that’s a different story. Only a couple of channels worked and the large 50” TV’s crashed all the time. The vendor flew in a repair tech to catch the ship in Costa Rica (almost a week later) to fix it but found out it needs a new hard drive. This will be replaced when we get off in Los Angeles.

Ships windows were hit by paint overspray and no one can clean them due to they are not allowed to use chemicals in the harbors and windows can’t be cleaned while the ship is moving. Were still working on helping them figure out how to clean windows...

Internet charges are $250.00 for 1000 minutes. This is restricted to only one device connected at a time. IT person onboard will split this into two differed accounts so two people can share internet use at the same time.

Ship is full of Venetian members with one of them with over 1050 sea days. Person with over 500 days came in third place at the usual captains cocktail party. Six guests are already onboard to take the world cruise. With a 180 that will enjoy the full almost four months of cruising, after picking them up in Los Angeles.

Three full formal nights (Christmas and New Year) on this cruise with the majority of guests dressing up and leaving the pool Grill empty with no guests. They tell me it’s because there are so many Venetian longtime members are onboard.

Executive Chef will be also leaving the ship at Los Angeles with a replacement to be announced then.

Have to say this cruise we have meet more than usual amount of friendly guests and can hardly keep all their names straight.

Ship is staying in the Acapulco harbor till after midnight so all aboard can enjoy the fireworks display this last day of 2013.

So the ship has not had a full refit then?

It might be helpful if you specified what you meant by "a full refit." My experience has been that dry docks are always partial "refits." Soft goods -- bedspreads, upholstery, drapes, carpets, etc. -- are generally replaced. Mechanical systems are repaired/replaced as necessary. Enhancements are added (apparently a redo of The Bar on Deck 5 and installation of better wifi and new TVs). However, it is not as if major changes are made throughout the ship.

Incidentally, I am skeptical of the assertion that all of the crew on Whisper are new, brought in from other SS ships. Generally, the crew remain onboard during dry dock and work hard at various tasks related to the dry dock work.

Question about the new TVs.

Is there still a dvd player in the room or have they gone to the on-demand movie system of the Spirit?

(Am packing and won't bother to bring the movies we were going to watch on board if it is the latter.)

Please excuse my ignorance, we are new to cruising.

The last time I heard of a ship going in dry dock it was for about 3/4 weeks, it included ripping out bathrooms, bar areas, re carpeting the whole ship Etc.

People who then sail afterwards talk about it looking like new?

We are also on the Whisper at the moment. A wonderful day in Puerto Vallarta.

Whisper had what is sometimes called a "soft refurb". That is, bed linens replaced and some soft furnishings (i.e. bar furniture etc).

In our opinion, it's been a wonderful cruise and we're now into the home stretch (sadly).

We will write up a more comprehensive review when we dock however in our mind, we would have loved to have stayed on board.

Incidentally, plenty of suites are available between LA and Hawaii. We asked for a quote to extend to Hawaii and were offered the choice of over 25 Vista and Verandah suites.

Is there still a dvd player in the room or have they gone to the on-demand movie system of the Spirit?

(Am packing and won't bother to bring the movies we were going to watch on board if it is the latter.)

CanadianKate - we have a DVD player in our room and the DVDs are still available in the library. We are in a Verandah however believe this remains the case in Vistas and also in the higher suites.

Yes DVD players are still in the rooms with hundreds of movies to checkout in the library. About six movies, eight TV movies and a few documentaries are available on the wireless network for your computer or laptop. Most likely after our stop in Los Angeles there will be three movie channels on the new Sole TV’s

Glad to hear about the selection. Our dvds got left behind due to space/weight issues.

We are on our way. Step one completed - shut down the house in -30*C weather and move to the airport hotel. I'm sitting here in the hotel, looking at the three suitcases and wondering what I've forgotten.

Our first flight towards LA leaves at 8 so we'll take the shuttle to the airport around 6-ish and have breakfast in the lounge. Looking forward to being warm.