Taxi from San Juan Airport to Cruise Termination and Back

BrooklynCruiser

Hi,

I did a search and saw multiple variations of this topic but my question is somewhat more targeted. For a family of five (2 adults and 3 kids, ages 7, 5 and 1), with a good amount of luggage, will we have any issues getting a taxi at the airport? I understand that many taxis are minivans/vans. Will not having a car seat be an issue? What about getting a taxi on our way back after the cruise? I guess I am debating whether to hire a limo/shuttle (e.g., Go Puerto Rico Shuttle), which would, based on my estimates, cost approximately twice as much as a regular taxi.

Many thanks!

Bottom line.....decide if you want a car seat first

If so then just book a service that will provide one

As a parent of 4....that's my first thought

Fwiw....

We only started big travel again when the baby was 3.....and opted to not worry about having a car seat for the ride from airport to port Canaveral or the taxi ride we took in Cozumel. We needed 2 taxi for the 6 of us to get to our day pass place in coz as they didn't have a van handy. Drivers actually spoke zero English and didn't have a clue how to drop us back at the ship

It was scary seeing dh and 2 of the dd's drive right on by!!! This was in the days of only basic cell phones that rarely had international capabilities. Dh was oblivious so my 14 yo took over...and that is why I purposely sent her in the taxi with dh. A good mom knows her family dynamics. Lol

From that day on and now that the babe is 15 we still joke and always sit down before our big trips to figure out who is sitting with dad on the plane and who is watching home at the piazza navona etc! Lol. He was born in Italy and still has the lackadaisical way about him even though he has been here almost 60 years.

Now dh is more than capable and ran a huge office efficiently....but 4 dd's will make you a little complacent...shall I say spoiled and pampered? Lol.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Crusin6

• 3 months later...

I have the same question and I'm disappointed that you didn't get an answer.

I do know that there is a $2 fee for suitcases, however, I wonder how the cab driver will handle a backpack. I feel there should not be a fee. I will also have 5 people and probably 5 suitcases.

I need help in deciding to grab a taxi or pay for the ship's shuttle, from the airport to the ship.

I have the same question and I'm disappointed that you didn't get an answer.

I do know that there is a $2 fee for suitcases, however, I wonder how the cab driver will handle a backpack. I feel there should not be a fee. I will also have 5 people and probably 5 suitcases.

I need help in deciding to grab a taxi or pay for the ship's shuttle, from the airport to the ship.

No you will not be charged for your backpack or purse as these are personal items...we were only charged for our 4 (:eek:...yes I know :D) pieces of luggage. We always managed to get mini-vans (same price) for the two of us. The only time we use ships transfers is when traveling with toddler grandchildren when we opt not to bring carseats....otherwise we avoid them.

At the San Juan cruise port the taxis operate just like in the other ports

You walk over to them and tell them where you want to go and they show you the price on the price list. That's it. Simple

There are many taxi vans that accommodate larger groups

You just take those if you need one

Get the price and pay it

If they charge for luggage you either pay it or negotiate it

But honestly the taxi is too easy not to take it and why on earth would you pay for ncl overpriced transfers?

If a car seat is needed it really makes sense to bring your own collapsible one if its that important

But if the child is old enough to just be buckled in that would be my choice

Fwiw. It's also my personal choice to not have cruised or vacationed too far away with an infant that required a backward facing car seat either or an 18 month old that could not be safely transported without a sturdy car seat

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Crusin6