Am I missing something or does this sound like a good idea?

CruiserTB

Hi everyone,

When trying to book a flight to FL for our cruise leaving out of POM in August, I saw a much cheaper airfare flying into Palm Beach. This flight would save our group of 7, almost $600. So, my plan was to fly into Palm Beach the day before (arrival time is about noon), rent a minivan (which preliminary price at budget was $100) and drive to our hotel (either in MIA or FLL), the next day drive to the port drop everyone else off, drive to the car rental return agency in POM and take the shuttle to the port.

I know from reviewing this forum that a lot consider flying into Palm Beach to not be worth the hassle for the savings. However, in those cases, it has only been savings for 1-2 people. So I'm wondering if the scenario changes when dealing with a group of 7. Also, originally with flying into FLL or MIA we weren't planning on renting a vehicle so we would've had to arrange for transport to the hotel and cruise port by either cab or shuttle company. This new plan would allow us to use the rental vehicle for all our transportation needs.

The return trip is easy as we will be flying out of Miami. So, any thoughts/concerns, something I may have missed or does this sound like a good idea?

Another option, if you can handle your own luggage, is to ride the Tri-Rail train from PBI to MIA. From there you can shuttle to an airport area hotel or grab a couple of taxis and stay downtown near POM.

As long as your return flight is later in the day (after about 2:00 or 3:00) you should have plenty of time to use Tri-Rail to get back to PBI for your flight home.

http://www.tri-rail.com/

Another option, if you can handle your own luggage, is to ride the Tri-Rail train from PBI to MIA. From there you can shuttle to an airport area hotel or grab a couple of taxis and stay downtown near POM.

As long as your return flight is later in the day (after about 2:00 or 3:00) you should have plenty of time to use Tri-Rail to get back to PBI for your flight home.

http://www.tri-rail.com/

Thanks everyone, it looks like we'll try this out. Though I agree further research will need to be done in terms of the mini-van. It says it holds 7 people + luggage but I'm wondering if their idea of luggage for 7 & my idea of luggage matches.

John, we're flying home through MIA so no issues there. I was looking at the tri-rail but with 7 people (4 of whom are children, one of whom is a 1 year old), I don't think it's worth the hassle (we'll have his carseat, stroller, him, etc...)

I was looking at the tri-rail but with 7 people (4 of whom are children, one of whom is a 1 year old), I don't think it's worth the hassle (we'll have his carseat, stroller, him, etc...)

Kids and car seats certainly complicates things as far as Tri-Rail. Good luck getting 7 plus bags into one van - especially if any in your group pack like my wife! :o You might compare the cost of renting two standard sedans (with lots of luggage room!), which sometimes works out cheaper than renting one van.

Good luck! :)

Kids and car seats certainly complicates things as far as Tri-Rail. Good luck getting 7 plus bags into one van - especially if any in your group pack like my wife! :o You might compare the cost of renting two standard sedans (with lots of luggage room!), which sometimes works out cheaper than renting one van.

Good luck! :)

Yeah John, I think I'm the one in the group that probably packs like your wife.:( Hmm, I'll have to take a look at a 7 passenger mini-van in person before I book so I can visualize what the packing space will look like. I can also look into the 2 cars but that means DH will be driving one car and I'll be driving the other since the other adult just recently got her license and trust me no one (including her) thinks it would be a good idea for her to be on the road. Though things may change between now and August. Thanks for the added things to consider.