Lamanai Ruins with 2 year old toddler?

emblema

I just did the Lamanai and speed boat tour. It is about a 1.5 to 2 hour drive from the port, plus an hour boat ride to the ruins. Most of the time spent at the ruins was for climbing them and learning about them. There is a nice open area, but make sure you have bug spray. Most of the people on my bus slept on the ride back. In our group, I think the youngest people were 2 preteens.

I have to say, it's probably doable. If your toddler fits in one of those backpack style carrier, you can make it to the top. I guess it really depends on how he does on long car rides, because that is a big part. The boat ride is pretty exciting, with tons of animals to see, so that might not be too much of an issue.

I'm gonna have to say it might not be a good idea. there were no life jackets used and its a very long day. you may consider one of the shorter ruin trips. Lamanai is a solid 8 hour day. I also have to say I can't recommend climbing the temples with a child in a backpack carrier. we saw a guy slip and fall on the approach steps and land on his backpack which prevented what would have been a serious back injury. a child would have been squashed like a grape.

It looks like there are no many things to do in Belize besides the cave tubing or the ruins that may be very tiring for my daughter , what about beaches ? Are there close ones that are really worth it ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by emblema

I just did the Lamanai and speed boat tour. It is about a 1.5 to 2 hour drive from the port, plus an hour boat ride to the ruins. Most of the time spent at the ruins was for climbing them and learning about them. There is a nice open area, but make sure you have bug spray. Most of the people on my bus slept on the ride back. In our group, I think the youngest people were 2 preteens.

The bus ride, are there interesting things to see during or is it mostly just jungle/forest?

We went on a ship sponsored tour to Lamanai a couple of years ago. It was a long day! It's a long bus ride, followed by a long boat ride, followed by a lot of walking, then another long bus ride back to the ship.

The path through the site is not paved so you would have to carry your toddler when he is too tired to walk and that would be difficult over uneven ground and trying to keep up with your guide and the group.

Maybe seeing pictures would help you decide. You might enjoy watching a slide show my wife made with pictures she took for her website. I'll insert a link below.

Belize - Lamanai Shore Excursion

Happy cruising!

I have done ruins with a 2 year old in Progreso, and I wouldn't worry about the ruins so much as the long ride to Lamanai. Maybe check into Altun Ha, we were going to do those with our 5&3 year olds last year in Belize because it was the closest, but ended up deciding on the water taxi to Caye Caulker instead. Which was a fun day and another idea if you aren't set on ruins!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi i would like to know if visiting the Lamanai ruins with a 2 year old toddler is suitable, i would also like to know how far in driving time is this from the port ?

Thank you

No,it's not suitable. Not at all. Stay on ship . It's an only port I would recomend to do so specially with 2 years old.

Caye Caulker island looks like an interesting option, is it possible that you can provide me more info about the island ? Thank you very much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caye caulker was a fun trip! We took the water taxi which is directly outside of the cruise terminal. It is about a 40 minute boat ride over. My girls both fell asleep on the boat ride there and back :) at the island we walked down to "the split" where there was a little beach area with a small lagoon type area my girls could splash around in. Little beach bar called lazy lizard there as well. I just took some of the "go picnic" cracker kits for my girls that I had packed from home since I wasn't sure of the food options on the island that they would like. We stayed a couple hours and I think caught the noon or 1:00 taxi back. Just look up the taxi times and remember those are in Belize local time. We enjoyed Caye caulker and it was nice to do something a little less touristy :) you could easily take a small umbrella type stroller with you as well for your little one to ride in! also when we got back in the cruise area my girls enjoyed getting ice cream at the Moho Chocolate factory. Hope that helps if you have any other questions or would like to see some pictures I will do my best to help!

We had a 3 and 5 year old. We struggled with Belize also. We did goffs Caye. I have a review in my signature. Under carnival dream. We had a great day

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Forums mobile app

This is also a good suggestion because I believe the goffs cay excursion picks you up right at the ship, so you aren't tendering first. Is that right brookeq?

We just did the ship's tour with our 4 and 9 year olds along with the grandparents. Honestly, the grandparents gave us more trouble... but that said, we would not have both climbed the high pyramid if we hadn't been able to leave dd with grandma at the bottom. She was too little to climb, and it was not safe for her to do so.

I would recommend a tour to the Belize Zoo as an alternative. We did this our first time in Belize before we even had kids and thought it was quite enjoyable.

Thanks to everyone for the answers, Lamanai would be awesome without my toddler , i definetlly will consider this tour in the future, meanwhile, i am considering Caye Caulker or Goffs Caye, i will read your reviews and make some search on the internet.

@LREcruise02 Thnks for offering me your help regarding Caye Caulker, I will contact you back if i have more questions

@brookeq I will start to read your review right now ! thanks ! :)

Edited by emblema

OMG Goffs Caye is really a small island, i would really feel like in the movie ¨Cast Away¨ but would be an interesting choice.

How crowded was the island that day ? Sincerely i don't want to feel alone in the island. Was the food ok ?

Thanks for your answer