Need help quickly!

dylanbristol

My DH and I decided (at the last minute) to take our first riverboat cruise. We will go in July. My travel agent is holding a Tauck cruise, the Blue Danube- Prague to Budapest, on the Swiss Jewel until Monday. The room we have (last one) is one room away from the engines. #229. I read a review that said engine noise was a problem. True?

Also, I have read reviews which said that the food was "simple" and "to American tastes". What have others who have taken the cruise found... gourmet, simple?

Lastly, do the passengers come from a variety of countries? We have found before that it is fascinating to chat with people who have very different life experiences.

Our other option is Uniworld (River Beatrice) for virtually the same itinerary. The questions are the same re room location, food and passenger list.

Should we be thinking about more time in Prague and Budapest at either end of the cruise?

Can't comment on the food or engine noise. You may wish to check Roll calls.

I have been to Prague and Budapest. You can see the major sites in two days each. There are other interesting things to see outside the cities, so you could add more than two days each.

Of course, I went to those cities when they were still in the Warsaw Pact. Even then, both cities were awesome.

I haven't sailed Tauck so I can't speak to that experience but I have sailed on the Beatrice with Uniworld and it was wonderful, I would highly recommend it. The ship was beautiful, it's only a few years old and the service was impeccable, better than service we've had on any ocean line. We enjoyed the food very much (and my husband is an foodie), part of what we really enjoyed was that it wasn't all "American", we had a lot of food from the local areas - Wienerschnitzel, sausages, Goulash - in addition to wonderful fresh fish, veal, lamb, etc. We were told that one of the major differences with Uniworld is that everything is fresh and they don't use catering companies like some others do - I don't know if it's true but the food was wonderful and it did taste very fresh. We did meet a variety of people while on board, in all age ranges and from a variety of places. There were a few honeymoon couples in their late 20's / early 30's up to people in the 70's and we talked to people from Australia, South Africa, Canada, Great Britain, and the U.S. The cabins were very nice, wonderful beds that I would like to have brought home with me, nice amenities and very good storage for the space that was available. The cabins weren't enormous but more than adequat for the amount of time we spent in it.

We have sailed on Uniworld a few times now, and sailed another line in the past, and were most happy with our experiences on Uniworld. We've heard good things about Tauck and have looked into them, but for us we didn't see enough differences to justify the cost difference, everyone has their own opinion though and you have to go with what is right for you.

Hope that helps!

Can't speak for Tauck, but did love our Avalon cruise Budapest to Prague. Definitely spend extra time, especially in Prague. We hired a private guide who was marvelous! A big highlight, for sure, and Prague is gorgeous. We absolutely loved wandering around Prague and taking lots of photos, and Jana (our guide) made it even more special. We ate at local restaurants (inexpensive) and truly enjoyed our days in Prague. We did a lot of walking around Budapest as well, and it was lovely, but if I had to choose I'd choose Prague.

Did you check the reviews section here? I wrote one on the Avalon Tranquility, there must be some on Tauck as well...

While we haven't yet been on our Tauck river cruise yet, we were in nearly the same situation a couple of weeks ago. We were debating between Danube trips (Prague to Budapest), in October, and had narrowed it down to Tauck and AMA. Our travel agent told us that we could have the last cabin on Tauck (#229) or a slightly more forward cabin on AMA. Our decision came down to a couple of factors which tipped in favor of Tauck. You will need to make your own decision, based on your own needs and desires, but I can at least explain what made us come down in favor of ours. I asked the same question about engine noise to our TA, she had traveled on Tauck one cabin forward and said engine noise was "not a big issue".

In both cases we were considering a cruise/tour, which included a couple of nights on land in both Prague and Budapest. We were originally doing this trip by land independently but because of circumstances decided to take a more relaxed trip.

1. number of passengers on the boat - 118 on Tauck vs. 140 on AMA. On Tauck you have a cruise director for the boat and a tour director for each 40 guests, plus local guides in each town. Most other tour companies have one tour director for the boat only, supplemented by local guides. At least this is what we have heard from friends who have traveled previously and our TA.

2. Inclusions - we like not having to worry about tips, included soft drinks on board ship, wine with dinner, special nights out (especially at Lobowicz Palace in Prague and classical evening in Vienna). We liked that Salzburg and winery visit weren't options, but included. We also liked the fact that transfers to/from airport or train were included no matter when you arrived or departed. Also the included tours seem to include more interior visits than some of the described tours with other companies.

3. Quality of furnishings/food/amenities on board - our TA, who has done several cruises on different lines (avalon, uniworld, ama, tauck) says that she thought Tauck was "top of the line" offering more choices at meals and refurbishing all their riverboats on a timely basis. This remains to be seen, but we trust her pretty well.

I costed most of these things out, and the price differences between trips was negligible. So we took our TA's advice and went with Tauck. Hopefully we were steered correctly! I will be interested in hearing about your experience whichever you decide.

We have taken several trips with Tauck, but our first riverboat tour with them won't be until next December for the German Christmas Markets on the Rhine.

I think it is important to realize that the thing that distinguishes Tauck from everybody else is not the ship, not the food, nor the itinerary. Rather it's they way they treat their customers and the way the handle things (in this case) onshore.

I draw the analogy with Wayne Newton in his glory days in Las Vegas. Even though his shows were choreographed down to the minute and he had performed essentially the same act hundreds of times, the thing he did was make you, the customer, feel that he was doing something special for you and that he was doing it for the very first time.

Tauck is like that. Everything has been vetted for years, every contingency (within reason) has been considered, surprises are not allowed, and every minute you feel you are in good hands.

These are the intangibles that in my view make Tauck the actual bargain it is, despite their relatively high overall prices.

Hi there - Have travelled on Uniworld - but not on Tauck. The CCers who have travelled on Tauck appear to have had -across the board - a wonderful experience. It is all inclusive - and the price reflects that. If you wish to be have everything handled for you (ie: gratuities) - then this would be the way to go. Can't speak to the issue of room placement, however we usually travel lowest category cabin when we go - and have never found noise an issue. I think it might depend on how light a sleeper you are...

We have travelled twice with Uniworld - and are booked with them again. They do include things like airport transfers on the day of arrival and departure (even if you book your own air...), wine and beer with dinner etc. Gratuities *not* included - and they must be paid in cash.

We have enjoyed the food on Uniworld - and always found a great mix of passengers --> with the group predominantly (50% +) being Americans. Can't speak to the mix with Tauck.

One positive for Uniworld - for us Canucks - is that the fares with Uniworld are in CDN dollars (although, our dollar is pretty much at par...).

As far as extra days go - yes, to both Prague and Budapest. If looking at the Danube - Prague is not always included. It is a long drive from either Nuremburg or Passau - so it is good if it is included in your tour. Budapest is very manageable on your own.

Have fun - whichever line you choose to travel with.

We (my mother & I, 70ish, 40ish) went with Tauck last December on the Danube Christmas Market Tour. Room 228 on the Swiss Jewel. No engine noise, very nice sleeping at night. Good room location, next to the stairs to go up and get coffee & cookies in the bar area.

The ship is very nice and the captain and crew were wonderful. With so few people onboard you really get the chance to see and talk to the captain & crew. I talked to the captain many times and ran into the head chef almost every night after dinner. He would always ask if I liked my meal and we talked about his family and the towns we were going to.

Food was very good. Breakfasts seemed slow if you wanted eggs made to order. There was a large buffet at breakfast with a selection of "european" foods (cold cuts, breads, salmon, poridge, etc).

At dinner the wine was always flowing. Gourmet ? Simple? I'd say somewhere inbetween. Each night there was an amuse-bouche, and a few soup, salad, main courses and desserts to choose from. Did I say wine? Also cocktails were very affordable at the cocktail hour before dinner.

Most folks on our trip were from the US. We did meet a women from England (traveling alone) who was on her 20th Tauck tour. The people on the tour were very well traveled and everyone was so friendly. We're still in contact with a number of folks.

Tauck took wonderful care of us. From the time we landed at the airport and they met us until they took us back to the airport when the tour was over. The guides at each stop were all local and very friendly and gave nice tours of their towns. Tauck also gave us (many times) money to eat in the town, buy an ornament for their tree, vouchers for drinks in town, local candies when getting back on the bus .... lots of little extras.

Tauck is a VERY good company. These people think of everything. Yes, it is more $$ then other lines but EVERYTHING is included. (Including the fee to use the restrooms at some stops.)

We've already booked another Tauck tour this August to Scotland and I imagine we'll be going with them more in the future.

No matter who you go with the locks are an amazing thing to go through. You open up that balcony door and you can touch the side. :)

Have a great trip.

Budapest is a real surprise allow at least 3 days. Prague ditto 3 days .

If you get the opportunity to visit Cesny Krumlov in the Czech Republic be sure to go over 800 years old and just magical . Usually offered as a side trip from either Passau or Vienna depending on direction of travel .

to dylanbristol,

You have gotten some very good advice about Tauck. We are taking our 17th Tauck tour in July to Europe and our 18th in 2012 to India. Tauck offers a wonderful all-inclusive experience. We took the Jewel last summer on the Rhine/Moselle and our experience was as good as all the other 16 Tauck tours we have taken. We have been on their small ships the Le Ponant, the Le Levant and the Isabella II in the Gallapagos. Tauck's river boats are all relatively new -- the Jewel was christened in 2009. We did a spreadsheet with AMA for our Rhine river cruise and it came out to be a $50 difference in price when we figured in all the extras on AMA. So, we took Tauck. We will be taking AMA's new ship the Katarina in September since Tauck is not doing this itinerary at this time. We look forward to our AMA river cruise and hopefully won't be disappointed.

Sheila

Never book a cabin near the engine room. On my last riverboat cruise,people complained bitterly about the noise and vibration. My cabin was midship on amawaterways...quiet..category b. I also did not like sitting in the rear lounge when the ship was sailing...too much noise. Be careful when listening to your ta. Many ta are truthful. However, they do make money from their bookings. It is to their advantage that you book...even if it is the noisy cabin. I wouln not book near the engine ever.

Hi Mistyone,

You have posted exactly five times and each time had a negative thing to say on this board. I have posted over 2,200 times and like to emphasize the positive things. I've been on the Swiss Jewel last July and there was NO noise in the lounge above the ship's engines. Six of us had dinner up there one beautiful night sailing past Cologne on the way to Amsterdam. No one on THIS ship complained about any engine noise.

Sheila

We did Tauck AMS-BUD on the Swiss Saphire also a new boat. Since we were in a suite I can't comment on engine noise but we heard absolutely no comments from fellow passengers.

Everything else was first class and included. The Tauck staff and the Scylla staff seemed to be focused on one thing-making our trip as wonderful as possible. There were no slip ups for the whole two weeks.

While the food was not gourmet it, was significantly above simple; and absolutely delicous. As has been mentioned the wine flowed freely as well as the beer at lunch.

What was especially fun were the Tauck extras, little events not in the brochure.

To get an idea of the trip go to the Tauck web site and watch the video on river cruising. DW and I are the interviewed couple.

Interestingly our next river cruise will be on Uniworld in France because Tauck does not offer the itinerary we wanted.

I looked up both itineraries - and both have some benefits, and both are "missing" things from my perspective. However, itineraries are very subjective - so it must be your choice in the end.

First off - Tauck includes days in both Prague and Budapest --> something that you would have to add on to the Uniworld itinerary. While it is easy, and relatively inexpensive to do Budapest on your own - Prague is a different story. It is a 4-5 hr drive from Prague to the Danube, so it is much better if you can get that included in your trip.

Uniworld includes a stop in Melk - and we loved the Abbey when we visited there. I am so glad that we were able to see it. However, Tauck includes a stop in Bratislava - something that Uniworld took off their itinerary. Many here have posted that Bratislava was not a "must see" for them, but we really enjoyed it. DH's grandparents were Slovak - so it was important for him to stop in Bratislava.

Tauck includes Regensburg - a lovely town... Loved the Sausage Kitchen when we stopped there. Uniworld starts their cruise in Passau.

I can't speak to the issue of room location - but if that is the only thing that is holding you back from booking this with Tauck, then I suggest you have some faith in the posts of the people here who have travelled with Tauck - and book. My only warning... river cruising can be addictive, so be prepared!!! :D

To dylanbristol - Have a great trip! I look forward to your review, hopefully the cabin is as advertised. Tauck sounds like a great company and we are looking forward to our first river cruise.

I looked up both itineraries - and both have some benefits, and both are "missing" things from my perspective. However, itineraries are very subjective - so it must be your choice in the end.

First off - Tauck includes days in both Prague and Budapest --> something that you would have to add on to the Uniworld itinerary. While it is easy, and relatively inexpensive to do Budapest on your own - Prague is a different story. It is a 4-5 hr drive from Prague to the Danube, so it is much better if you can get that included in your trip.

Uniworld includes a stop in Melk - and we loved the Abbey when we visited there. I am so glad that we were able to see it. However, Tauck includes a stop in Bratislava - something that Uniworld took off their itinerary. Many here have posted that Bratislava was not a "must see" for them, but we really enjoyed it. DH's grandparents were Slovak - so it was important for him to stop in Bratislava.

Tauck includes Regensburg - a lovely town... Loved the Sausage Kitchen when we stopped there. Uniworld starts their cruise in Passau.

I can't speak to the issue of room location - but if that is the only thing that is holding you back from booking this with Tauck, then I suggest you have some faith in the posts of the people here who have travelled with Tauck - and book. My only warning... river cruising can be addictive, so be prepared!!! :D

We loved Bratislava too. In addition to seeing the old town we went to a modern hip mall. The contrast was amazing!

I think you will love your itinerary. Have a wonderful time.

Both these cities are wonderful.....been several times to each. I can recommend a wonderful guide in Budapest if you need one....Prague is getting too touristy very quickly....From Prague Cesky Krumlov is great as is a day trip to Dresden and the fabulous Green Vaults.....must be booked way in advance but so worth it.

MizzDee MD - I would love it if you could give me the name of the guide in Budapest. We will be there in October, so now is probably the right time to start planning!

Oh, and for those of us waiting to go on our first Tauck riverboat trip, Host Sheila just posted a review of her trip from Budapest to Prague under Member Reviews. After reading the review I am very happy that we chose Tauck for our 30th anniversary celebration.

Archived