Renovations underway at Sydneys Cruise Terminal

Heres a grab from the Sydney Cafe webcam showing work underway

for the renovations at the Overseas Passenger Terminal (OPT)

at Sydneys Circular Quay.

It will be interesting to see how it all turns out.:)

29yoxlt.jpg

David

Your photo only shows the work being done on the wharf itself The floating crane is "piling" the area for the wharf extension. The real "action" is happening within the terminal itself.

Below is a copy of part of the email we received for the Carnival Spirit turnaround on Thursday 3rd July

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good Morning Everyone,

Please note the below information for tomorrows call;

· All the glass in front of the terminal and the doors are gone and the wall in between the restaurants and the escalator is gone.

· We lose all access to, and the space in the breezeway

· The crew gangway access will be through the back of the terminal. There will be separation (either a divider or stanchions) during debark between guests and crew

· There will be noise in and around the terminal (jack hammering in the former restaurant spaces and clearing)

Please bring a jumper or jacket as it will be cooler in the terminal since there are no doors and glass now, even upstairs.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is short term pain for a long term gain though and will be well worth it.

If only I could work out how to upload pictures to this site (computer illiterate) I would take some photos and keep you all up to date with the weekly (no daily) changes although Sydney Ports website has a few photos and news update if you are interested.

Edited by gbenjo

If only I could work out how to upload pictures to this site (computer illiterate) I would take some photos and keep you all up to date with the weekly (no daily) changes although Sydney Ports website has a few photos and news update if you are interested.

gbenjo, do you know how to e-mail photos?? :), if so e-mail me: kiwi_cruiser [at] ymail.com (replace [at] with @ & take out the spaces), and I will happy upload them here for you :)

Thanks David and also gbenjo for the updates, hope they finish them on time and are able to make some real improvements.:D

Looks like being Jan/Feb before it's finished unfortunately Originally supposed to be October but there is so much to do.:eek::mad:

gbenjo, do you know how to e-mail photos?? :), if so e-mail me: kiwi_cruiser [at] ymail.com (replace [at] with @ & take out the spaces), and I will happy upload them here for you :)

Thanks, OK I can handle that, I will try and take some photos on Thursday.....now how does this camera work:D:D

My IT advisor, Packetau and her husband Garry , are as you know galavanting around Europe at the moment otherwise I would get them to show me how to upload the photos into CC (although they are back on the 8th July)

Edited by gbenjo

Does anyone know if the renovations will eliminate the disgraceful "shed" at the bridge end of O P T where disembarking passengers now go for luggage collection and customs

John

Does anyone know if the renovations will eliminate the disgraceful "shed" at the bridge end of O P T where disembarking passengers now go for luggage collection and customs

John

Yes it will, pretty well the entire ground floor where the two restaurants were will be the debark luggage area.

Looks like being Jan/Feb before it's finished unfortunately Originally supposed to be October but there is so much to do.:eek::mad:

Ah well, I suppose I will get to see the reno's in full swing in December then.:)

This will be mid December so you may be right.:eek:

Hang on....they are not like those "workers" in Canberra:D:D:D They will be working and hopefully by December there will be some noticeable progress although I believe the new lifts and travelators are not till the new year.

Gbenjo , please make a VIP line for me and icat on the 20 the august ..... Not too much trouble is it ? Cheers, Buzz.

Nothing is too much trouble provided the correct coloured currency note is attached to the request ;););).

I will be working on 20th so give me a reminder closer to the day It will still be a bit of as mess down there in August but You never know:cool:

......disgraceful "shed" at the bridge end of O P T where disembarking passengers now go for luggage collection and customs

Wow, disgraceful shed, really?? Things must have really gone ahead in Adelaide since my last trip there - only freeway in the whole state is only half a road. It runs S-N in morning and N-S in afternoon :D

There is no doubt OPT needed an update with increasing ship visits & the size of ships. I have found disembarking very easy on my 5 arrivals, which is helped by the staggered times the ship applies. Biggest issue I have seen is the need to queue outside for embarkation in rain &/or heat, not helped by people choosing not to accept staggered boarding times.

Give me arrival/departure at OPT over ANY airport.

Happy cruising,

Neil

Hang on....they are not like those "workers" in Canberra:D:D:D They will be working and hopefully by December there will be some noticeable progress although I believe the new lifts and travelators are not till the new year.

No one works in Canberra anymore, due to all the sackings, everyone is retiring.:eek:

Wow, disgraceful shed, really?? Things must have really gone ahead in Adelaide since my last trip there - only freeway in the whole state is only half a road. It runs S-N in morning and N-S in afternoon :D

There is no doubt OPT needed an update with increasing ship visits & the size of ships. I have found disembarking very easy on my 5 arrivals, which is helped by the staggered times the ship applies. Biggest issue I have seen is the need to queue outside for embarkation in rain &/or heat, not helped by people choosing not to accept staggered boarding times.

Happy cruising,

Neil

I know what you mean, saw this at many a terminal. It seems to me that the people who ignore the staggered embarkation times are quite often the same people whingeing about big queues.:(

Happy cruising,

Neil

One of the things they are doing with the reno is to build a new mezzanine level which will be a lounge/holding area so there should be no more queuing outside the terminal. Roll on January.

No one works in Canberra anymore, due to all the sackings, everyone is retiring.:eek:

Did you know if your "retiring" you do not need to fill out one of the green customs cards..............it's called an "Outgoing "passenger card so if you are quiet and retiring..........:D:D

One of the things they are doing with the reno is to build a new mezzanine level which will be a lounge/holding area so there should be no more queuing outside the terminal. Roll on January.

Similar to what there is at White Bay then? That's quite a good terminal for the cruise ships that can fit under the Harbour Bridge except for where it's positioned - so out of the way of any public transport.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are not losing that public viewing platform are we? that is the best thing about that terminal for getting close to the ship.

As far as I know the viewing platform(s) are staying.

Similar to what there is at White Bay then? That's quite a good terminal for the cruise ships that can fit under the Harbour Bridge except for where it's positioned - so out of the way of any public transport.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, it was poorly planned having practically no public transport to that area.:(