Ashdod to Yad Vashem

TowandaUK

We hope to visit Israel in October. We are mainly doing ship's excursions but have a Thursday afternoon free. We will be docked in Ashdod and would like to visit Yad Vashem. How easy would it be to do independently? What is the best way to get to the museum, what is the likely cost, and how safe is it? I have searched for organised tours, but can only find ones that include many other places which we shall see on the ship excursions. Many thanks in advance.

The first option is of course private taxi. The ministry of transport regulations state the price between Ashdod and Jersualem should be around NIS 350 each way.

Regarding public transport, there are Egged bus lines #438 and #448 that travel between Ashdod and Jersualem Central Bus Station. Both take around an hour and a half (might be a bit more, depending on traffic and the status of construction on Highway 1), and cost NIS 19 per person. See http://www.egged.co.il/eng/ for time tables.

Both lines have a stop not far from the port entrance, but Thursday afternoon might be a bit busy so maybe it would be better to catch them at the start, in Ashdod central bus terminal.

From the Jerusalem CBS, it is an easy ride on the light rail (direction: Mt. Herzl). Yad va-Shem is a short walk from Mt. Herzl station. Light rail is NIS 6.90 per person. Factor 25-30 minutes for this part to be on the safe side.

Public transport is safe.

Unless you are fluent in Hebrew arrange a taxi from the port to YV and have them pick you up for the return to the port. It's worth the money not to have to make all the necessary public transportation changes and worry about getting back to the ship on time.

If you arrange a taxi from home make sure you are told if they can enter the port or if you have to meet them outside of security for the port. Not all private taxis can enter the port.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for this. Please can anyone recommend a taxi firm that I could book before our cruise to do this journey to Yad Vashem and back?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I got two quotes for you for pickup at the ship, trip to Yad VeShem, 2-3 hour wait and return to the ship.

Sea Mall Taxi 972-8-8540540 (speak to Dorit) about 640 NIS

HaNamal Taxi 972-50-5544432 about 900 NIS or 200 Euro

I can't personally recommend either but they are reliable taxi companies in Ashdod.

I would not take te bus from the port as the stop is very far and in my opinion not walkable. If you choose public transportation take a taxi to the Central Bus Station in Ashdod and proceed as posted above.

I got two quotes for you for pickup at the ship, trip to Yad VeShem, 2-3 hour wait and return to the ship.

Sea Mall Taxi 972-8-8540540 (speak to Dorit) about 640 NIS

HaNamal Taxi 972-50-5544432 about 900 NIS or 200 Euro

I can't personally recommend either but they are reliable taxi companies in Ashdod.

I would not take te bus from the port as the stop is very far and in my opinion not walkable. If you choose public transportation take a taxi to the Central Bus Station in Ashdod and proceed as posted above.

640NIS is a great price if it is with 3 hrs. waiting time!

Don't spend your time on public transportation.

All in all, with a taxi to the CBS, the ride time to Jerusalem CBS, the light rail to Mt Herzel (or bus to Yad Vashem) we are talking about no less than 3 hrs. each way...!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Would arrive Ashdod on Oct. 24 which is a Friday, would like to DIY to the Old City, don't prefer to join the tour as like to have more free time to hanging around and not very interested in the history. I understand it is a Sabbath day, is it possible to return to Ashdod by shernut in the afternoon apart from taking a cab ? Not sure the taxi price and also too expensive without finding someone to share. Thanks.