Drink Package on Windstar

dandee2

Saw an interesting article in the web issue of the Miami Herald.

Dandee2

"

Last year, Azamara, which had tested the idea of including beer and wine at meals, decided to go all in, with wines, beers and spirits throughout the day. Oceania, which offers one of cruising’s more inclusive products for meals at specialty restaurants, decided to continue to charge for alcohol, saying that passengers who do not drink do not want to pay for those who do.

At Windstar, on the inaugural of the newly renovated Star Pride, president Hans Birkholz took the question to a meeting of passengers, all of whom had sailed previously on Windstar ships.

Birkholz asked for a show of hands from passengers who would like to see wine and spirits offered without charge on Windstar ships. Quite a majority raised their hands. Then, he asked, “Would you want wine and spirits included if the ship increased the fare by $100?” Fewer hands were raised. “What about $200?” he asked. Fewer still.

Aye, that’s the rub.

Cruise lines often describe activities, entertainment or meals aboard ship as complimentary, which of course they are not. What they are is included in the cruise rate. Alcohol consumed aboard ship, without a charge, is not a gift from the cruise line. It is included in the fare. If the cruise line is going to include something new, the cruise rate will go up, as the line has no interest in its profits going down.

Windstar, for instance, is developing a new cruise rate scale so that the basic fare will include whatever the passenger wants. Birkholz calls it “luxury as you like it.” He could also call it “luxury as you are willing to pay for it.”

http://www.miamiherald.com/living/article1979679.html

Saw an interesting article in the web issue of the Miami Herald.

Dandee2

"

Last year, Azamara, which had tested the idea of including beer and wine at meals, decided to go all in, with wines, beers and spirits throughout the day. Oceania, which offers one of cruising’s more inclusive products for meals at specialty restaurants, decided to continue to charge for alcohol, saying that passengers who do not drink do not want to pay for those who do.

At Windstar, on the inaugural of the newly renovated Star Pride, president Hans Birkholz took the question to a meeting of passengers, all of whom had sailed previously on Windstar ships.

Birkholz asked for a show of hands from passengers who would like to see wine and spirits offered without charge on Windstar ships. Quite a majority raised their hands. Then, he asked, “Would you want wine and spirits included if the ship increased the fare by $100?” Fewer hands were raised. “What about $200?” he asked. Fewer still.

Aye, that’s the rub.

Cruise lines often describe activities, entertainment or meals aboard ship as complimentary, which of course they are not. What they are is included in the cruise rate. Alcohol consumed aboard ship, without a charge, is not a gift from the cruise line. It is included in the fare. If the cruise line is going to include something new, the cruise rate will go up, as the line has no interest in its profits going down.

Windstar, for instance, is developing a new cruise rate scale so that the basic fare will include whatever the passenger wants. Birkholz calls it “luxury as you like it.” He could also call it “luxury as you are willing to pay for it.”

http://www.miamiherald.com/living/article1979679.html

I think the way it is now is just fine. The price of the alcohol package seems to be fair for those who really enjoy their spirits. It does not make sense to have a package or all inclusive for a person like myself who enjoys a cocktail before dinner and maybe a glass of wine or 2 with dinner or for a person who doesn't drink at all. I have been on 10 Windstar voyages in the past 11 years and have found paying as you go for drinks to be a good deal for myself. If it aint broke don't fix it.

I agree alcohol consumption is so personal, I can not drink before 5, miserable headaches, I love a glass of champagne before dinner and a glass of red wine with dinner, my husband is diabetic at most a drink/beer once every other day. Keep it the way it is pay as one goes, fairer to all. Happy Sailing. Susanne

We have not yet sailed on Windstar, but have read through the forums and from what I can tell, most of the people here are well past that phase in our lives where we drink ourselves crazy drunk, like the same reason we don't sail on Carnival anymore. What if the cruiseline added a few dollars per day like 10 or 15 to the cost of each passenger and made everything except the most expensive spirits and wine complementary. They already discount the price from the brochure listed price - just discount a hundred dollars less... we really would not notice. . .

Some will argue that the ship makes quite a bit of profit on the selling of drinks, but they could do with a bit less bookkeeping - all those receipts . . . wouldn't that save some money? Just walk up to the bar, get what you want and go. . .

Others will argue that some will take advantage, and others will argue that " I don't drink and should not be paying for those that do"... well there ya go... no easy answer other than to continue the debate whilst paying for our drinks as we drink them. . . :)

Here's to the small sailing ships ... I can't wait until our first experience on Windstar.

The service is so extraordinary on the Windstar ships, the service and bar charges are worth every cent and more. I am a firm believer that if you can afford taking this kind of a vacation you can afford the service for these crew people, waiters and bar men this is their livelyhood, their families live off the service fee and gratuities. For me it is a moral issue. I am happy to tip when the service is good. Susanne