Are people from Martinique very tall?

nathan7

Going to Martinique in January 2014 with a few other ladies. We could all, with the exception of one of us who is 5' 8" (but she is part Dutch - I hear they are the tallest nation in the world - Nathan go to Holland!) use a couple extra inches to help us also look thinner. Though I suspect if Nathan is from Singapore, he just wants to be taller for the sake of being taller!

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Do any of you know what ever happened to Nathan. I'm afraid he might have shrunk away.

We agree, he is probably the incredible shrinking man.....so we will be sure to bring our magnifying glass to find Nathan when we go to Martinique in January!!

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Nathan,

I went to Martinique to do research on the size of the islanders and I must disappoint you. Nobody was tall. A good dose of Rum and French dark chocolate helped me to get over my disappointment. Suddenly, the size of the population doubled!

When I read that the Dutch are the tallest, I went to the Caribbean island of Saba, but only the volcano was tall.

At this point, I decided to refocus my research on the legend of the tall Amazons. And lo and behold, I found three women over 6 feet in the jungle! Does it matter that they were from Belgium and spoke Flemish? (true story)

Nathan, you need to go to the beautiful city of Ghent!

• 2 weeks later...
Nathan -

It's been almost two years since you first posted this message. Do you have an update after all this time? Or are you still doing research ?!?

I believe his research ended when he complained that he had grown too much.

Apparently, they listened sympathetically to his complaint and eventually found a method of reducing his height and thereby removing the basis of his complaint.

I understand that the solution involved a piece of apparatus called a guillotine.

• 3 months later...

I am pretty sure that Nathan did indeed find his "garden of height", but it was in China, not Martinique.

I can attest to the magical growing properties of China, because I visited there several times around 2007 or so. I had a picture taken of me and about 6 other people, and when my wife saw the photo she said: "who is the tall guy?" It was me!...I had obviously grown about 6 inches!

Unfortunately the growing powers seem to disappear as soon as you get on the plane to head back home.

I will be in Martinique on a cruise in mid-April and I will be sure to do the requisite measurements and report back.