New cruisers and motion sickness

KitinIowa

We are taking the proverbial plunge into cruising. After many years of wanting to try a cruise we are going to take the Pride of America Hawaii cruise in April.

My wife easily becomes motion sick. We thought that since this cruise spends most of the day at port and tends to move during the overnight we might be better off. She can get motion illness just watching a rollercoaster on TV, and I am not kidding. She literally marks her territory on every trip we take, from flights, Disney rides, Key West jet skiing, fishing from a boat on Yellowstone Lake and driving through Custer State Park in South Dakota the motion takes it toll.

We are prepared with patches, etc. So we have our fingers crossed. My concern is that the cabin 13020, which is a penthouse suite may be too high up on the ship? Also, does the pool and bar music end in the evening around 10-11p.m.? How late do those areas stay noisy as we are near the pool. Not a huge deal for us but wondering if it might be later than we thought. We enjoy activity so we are not concerned for the bulk of the day just if it got real late at night.

Edited by KitinIowa

The place on the ship that experiences the least motion (think of a see-saw) is the center. About mid ships (front to back) and middle deck....you want to be at the fulcrum of the ship's motion point.

There are many drugs that work to help quell motion sickness. But, realize that you won't be IN your cabin 24/7! You'll be out and about, on all different areas of the ship! So you will experience a full range of motion, depending where you are at the time. Hopefully, you'll have nice, calm seas!

to be safe i would say prepare for the worst....could your wife handle/survive 7 days of terrible or extreme weather? my concern would be the physical toll it could make on your wifes equilibrium. it takes me a week to shake off the sea legs after a 7 day cruise, calm or stormy weather.

Yes my wife has talked to her doctor and he has given her a patch to use.... we will take the traditional motion medications with us and hope for a smooth ride.

This may really be a once in a lifetime trip!!! Cross our fingers it isn't