Bermuda snorkeling

Smallfamily

We will be in bermuda in September and love to snorkel. Any recommendations ? We love catamarans and have our own gear. My husband is an expert snorkeling I'm a little less than average so nothing too advanced in rough water conditions. Thanks everyone 😄

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I do not think any snorkeling made from the shore/beach will satisfy an advance snorkeler. You might want to consider a tour.

I could recommend "Jessie James cruises" . You could either rent your own boat and snorkel on your own or do a tour with her ( Chloe the owner ). If you do a tour she will bring you over a shipwreck and 2 other places. I really enjoyed her a little while back.

Have fun !

We will be in bermuda in September and love to snorkel. Any recommendations ? We love catamarans and have our own gear. My husband is an expert snorkeling I'm a little less than average so nothing too advanced in rough water conditions. Thanks everyone 😄

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Check out the Restless Native catamaran trip . We loved it, and the snorkeling was great. $50 I think each.

• 2 months later...

I second the recommendation for Restless Native. It's a beautiful catamaran, and when my then-teenaged daughter and I first took the trip some time ago, the Canadian family who run the boat brought us into lovely snorkeling spots not otherwise easily accessible on the shore (secluded beaches and coves) and there was wonderful life there! You also get freshly-baked cookies on the trip (the smell from the oven is wonderful!). I've gone again, and it's every bit as nice as it was on the first trip.

The other incredible snorkeling in Bermuda would be Tobacco Bay. It's on the far east end of the island, so you'd have to take the ferry or bus from King's Wharf to St. George's (the ferry is faster and takes less time) and then either walk up the LONG hill or take a shuttle van (shared ride, only a couple of bucks) that will deliver you quickly directly there. There's a snack bar with food and beverages, and the beach is VERY small, but if you're a water rat as I am, you'll be very happy!

The bay itself is very shallow most of the way out to the enclosing limestone pillars, and you can either stay in the protected area or swim around the rocks to the other side which is open sea. It's a perfect spot for relaxing in the water, as the rock pillars provide protection as a breakwater from rougher ocean waves.

To the right facing the bay there's a shallow area with a lot of rock where there are always juvenile fish - like a fish nursery. In the bay itself, I've seen HUGE parrotfish, sweet little squid, and many other varieties of beautiful fish. Google for pictures; it's quite lovely!

Church Bay is another great beach to snorkel and it is the first beach as you arrive on South Shore Road.

Church Bay is quite nice also, so long as it's not rough water (and it's closer to King's Wharf as it's on the west end of the island). Be aware there are long and steep stairs to climb down (and back up) if you go there.

There's also John Smith's Bay, which is on the south side of the island, east of Hamilton. It has concessions and lifeguards, and there are also very nice little limestone "caves" (carved out areas under the rock) on the left side of the beach as you look at the ocean - lovely for resting out of the sun! There are no stairs at that beach.

Google any of these spots and you'll see many nice photos, as well as find the Trip Advisor reviews. Whatever you choose to do, enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

The other incredible snorkeling in Bermuda would be Tobacco Bay. It's on the far east end of the island, so you'd have to take the ferry or bus from King's Wharf to St. George's (the ferry is faster and takes less time) and then either walk up the LONG hill or take a shuttle

According to the road sign its 0.8 km, so not that long a walk.

We are two overweight mid-60s women, and my friend had knee replacement surgery 3 month ago, and we found the walk to be not too demanding.

The warm calm waters of tobacco Bay are terrific water therapy for arthritis. All in all the day was less taxing than a session of physical therapy, and a lot more pleasant!

I Second Church Bay. It was better than any tour we went on. The reef was great and it held lots of fish.

https://www.google.com/maps/@32.2486227,-64.8488772,476m/data=!3m1!1e3

We rented a boat and went here (see link) it was a little better than Church Bay

https://www.google.com/maps/@32.3110186,-64.8632129,238m/data=!3m1!1e3

Edited by Laszlo