Whale Watching.

bigeck

Need some advice for our first trip to Alaska.

We are on Jewel of the Seas from Seattle to Vancouver in Sept. '15.

Ports are Juneau, Skagway and Victoria BC.

I have a car booked for Skagway.

For Juneau, would like to do Mount Roberts and Mendenhall also a whale watching tour. We are nthere from 12 noon until 9pm

I saw the ship has a whale watching tour from Victoria but not sure if that would be any good.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Not sure how long you are in Victoria, but you would see orcas there. In Juneau you would see humpbacks.

Whale watching in Juneau is probably one of the most talked about tour on the forum here. Many passionate followers of Harv & Marvs, Orca and others. Personally I like Harv & Marvs - longest time on the water, only 6 passengers on board, extremely personal service.

Further details. Best for orca whale watches is to be sure to have "time" in Victoria. Some ship tours, have shorter tours to fit the schedules. Sightings are not guaranteed and these 3 orca pods actually have hundreds of miles of range. An example a few years ago, I was there for 4 days with them out of range the entire time (boat tours were still going out, however). It is easy to go on your own, with a longer port day. Several operators from Inner Harbor.

As for Juneau- this is an area of 100% sightings of humpbacks, occasionally orcas. My stats this year, for orcas out of Juneau, were 3 out of 7 trips, which was high. On average they are seen 1/2 times per week. I also did see sea lions every trip.

I am a recommender of Orca Enterprises. Excellent boats with upper 360 viewing, Also one of the fastest boat getting you to areas.

Further details. Best for orca whale watches is to be sure to have "time" in Victoria. Some ship tours, have shorter tours to fit the schedules. Sightings are not guaranteed and these 3 orca pods actually have hundreds of miles of range. An example a few years ago, I was there for 4 days with them out of range the entire time (boat tours were still going out, however). It is easy to go on your own, with a longer port day. Several operators from Inner Harbor.

As for Juneau- this is an area of 100% sightings of humpbacks, occasionally orcas. My stats this year, for orcas out of Juneau, were 3 out of 7 trips, which was high. On average they are seen 1/2 times per week. I also did see sea lions every trip.

I am a recommender of Orca Enterprises. Excellent boats with upper 360 viewing, Also one of the fastest boat getting you to areas.

It seems like sea lions are always out at that buoy where the whale watching boats take their passengers.

We have not been on nearly as many whale watching tours as BQ, but through all the years that we have been taking whale watching tours at Juneau, we have never failed to see humpbacks and sea lions.

The orcas sightings there, on the other hand, have also been hit or miss.

Edited by fleckle

Hi Bq,

We will do a whale watching tour in Juneau.

We are in Victoria from 9am until 6pm.

Any ideas for this are very welcome as the ships excursions don't give much ideas and don't look very inviting apart from the whale watching.

I would rather book with a local guide.

Edited by bigeck

Hi Bq,

We will do a whale watching tour in Juneau.

We are in Victoria from 9am until 6pm.

Any ideas for this are very welcome as the ships excursions don't give much ideas and don't look very inviting apart from the whale watching.

I would rather book with a local guide.

Victoria is a lovely city. The harbor area is very photogenic ... Parliament Bldgs, Empress Hotel, totems, rose gardens. Butchart Gardens is the big attraction and it's easy to spend 4-5 hrs there.

http://www.tourismvictoria.com/

Victoria is a lovely city. The harbor area is very photogenic ... Parliament Bldgs, Empress Hotel, totems, rose gardens. Butchart Gardens is the big attraction and it's easy to spend 4-5 hrs there.

http://www.tourismvictoria.com/

Thanks for the link. The city looks great.

We usually do things on our own and glad to see we can.

Rci excursions didn't look a inviting.

Had a good look and a game of golf might be an idea in Victoria.

Anyone know where we dock as Cedar Hill GC looks close and its pretty cheap

The dock used is Ogden Point. About a 20 minute walk from the Inner Harbor. There usually are dock shuttle buses, was $11ca last year. I've used their city buses, when I've been there with long port schedules. On my multiday trips I always have a car.

Thanks for all the ideas.

If the weather isn't good in Victoria for golf, we might do a whale watching trip.

I see a lot of people going with Hank & Marv in Juneau but I have also seen this one.

http://www.juneauwhalewatch.com/book-a-tour/details/32329/glacier-and-whale-watching-combo/

Edited by bigeck

we are thinking of booking with Misty Bay Lodge. would you recommend them or suggest another provider? respect your opinion and appreciate your posts.

AHOY SHIPMATES,

It has been my experience that the BEST place for Whale watching is on the LIDO deck any time it is open day or night. Only danger is getting run over when the serving line first opens. LOL DW has suggested that I DO NOT SEND THIS POST. Something about being tacky?

we are thinking of booking with Misty Bay Lodge. would you recommend them or suggest another provider? respect your opinion and appreciate your posts.

Misty Bay Lodge (in Hoonah/Icy Strait Point, not Juneau) gets great reviews as does FISHES. BQ always recommends Teckk there in spite of the multiple negative posts about them in the past. But since BQ is so respected on this forum, she is a walking advertisement for Teckk and Orca. :). I am sure she isn't paid for that, but I wonder how much business she generates for them. On the other hand I also wonder how much the story about Capt Larry's DUI while captaining a whale watch tour with Orca in Juneau last summer will affect their business.

Edited by frugaltravel

Misty Bay Lodge (in Hoonah/Icy Strait Point, not Juneau) gets great reviews as does FISHES. BQ always recommends Teckk there in spite of the multiple negative posts about them in the past. But since BQ is so respected on this forum, she is a walking advertisement for Teckk and Orca. :). I am sure she isn't paid for that, but I wonder how much business she generates for them. On the other hand I also wonder how much the story about Capt Larry's DUI while captaining a whale watch tour with Orca in Juneau last summer will affect their business.

thanks for your post. My friends and I are so excited with all the planning and appreciate your input.

AHOY SHIPMATES,

It has been my experience that the BEST place for Whale watching is on the LIDO deck any time it is open day or night. Only danger is getting run over when the serving line first opens. LOL DW has suggested that I DO NOT SEND THIS POST. Something about being tacky?

I am sure you are joking since I hate watching the waters off the cruise ship from behind the hideous glass. Being on deck OUTSIDE is far better.

Also, whale watching from the ship is for a fleeting moment most of the time and almost always requires hours on deck watching for a short sighting. Whale watching tours offer a much better experience for most people.

You are entitled to your opinion and you certainly constantly recommend your preferences. I have ALWAYS had excellent tours from both these vendors, I am ONLY writing about my experiences, contrary to many post "recommendations" from posters who have not even been on the tours.

As for Teckk, I see many rave reviews, you keep bringing up your experience over a year+ ago? All fine and good, I don't dispute you every time you post, but you certainly enjoy "commenting" about my posts.

As for Orca Enterprises- I sailed with them 3 times after the incident with no issue what so ever. I do NOT know the details of this legal issue, which will play out without me speculating. All three of those trips were captained by Matt. I also would not hesistate to go out with Pam either. In my opinion, they are a well run company whom I have enjoyed going out with. Nothing more or less, my experiences with 7 whale watches with them this year. They provided me with excellent service.

As for claiming compromises with safety, also look at the another large company whom the Coast Guard random tested for drug use, and over half the staff were positive. Not limited to one company unfortunately.

I am contacted occasionally with offers of "free" tours etc. with the vendor clearly looking to be written about. It would surprise people that some are the vendors that have been mentioned on this board. I NEVER accept ANY of these offers and when I first use vendors, they have no idea whom I may be.

Speculate all you want, what my travels are about. I know they are only for ME and my priorities.

You are entitled to your opinion and you certainly constantly recommend your preferences. I have ALWAYS had excellent tours from both these vendors, I am ONLY writing about my experiences, contrary to many post "recommendations" from posters who have not even been on the tours.

As for Teckk, I see many rave reviews, you keep bringing up your experience over a year+ ago? All fine and good, I don't dispute you every time you post, but you certainly enjoy "commenting" about my posts.

As for Orca Enterprises- I sailed with them 3 times after the incident with no issue what so ever. I do NOT know the details of this legal issue, which will play out without me speculating. All three of those trips were captained by Matt. I also would not hesistate to go out with Pam either. In my opinion, they are a well run company whom I have enjoyed going out with. Nothing more or less, my experiences with 7 whale watches with them this year. They provided me with excellent service.

As for claiming compromises with safety, also look at the another large company whom the Coast Guard random tested for drug use, and over half the staff were positive. Not limited to one company unfortunately.

I am contacted occasionally with offers of "free" tours etc. with the vendor clearly looking to be written about. It would surprise people that some are the vendors that have been mentioned on this board. I NEVER accept ANY of these offers and when I first use vendors, they have no idea whom I may be.

Speculate all you want, what my travels are about. I know they are only for ME and my priorities.

Hi Bq.

I'm getting a bit confused with all the company's and Misty Lodge etc.

What is the best company that sails from Victoria and do they have a web site.

I think we sailed on the Adventure Ta from Malaga a few years ago but never met.

Wow, talk about defensive :). Sorry you feel so offended.

"Constantly recommend your preferences"? Not sure of your definition of "constantly" but since you have more than 11x my posts (in twice the timeframe), even if it were "constantly" it wouldn't come close ;).

I don't "keep bringing up" my experience - I noted that there were multiple posts (and most are not by me). I also noted your preferred vendors. It seems like you WERE commenting on my post with your post :).

Not sure what you mean about "speculate all you want." No speculating involved.

You "constantly" talk about accuracy and facts on the board. I don't see how either of us can dispute anything I have said as not being factual. I even said you are not paid by any of the operators you recommend, which you confirmed as a fact.

Edited by frugaltravel

Hi Bq.

I'm getting a bit confused with all the company's and Misty Lodge etc.

What is the best company that sails from Victoria and do they have a web site.

I think we sailed on the Adventure Ta from Malaga a few years ago but never met.

Prince of Whales, is an easy vendor to find and they run several boats. With only a port day to consider, they may offer you the most convenience. They have been in business for many years. The Vendor I use is Seacoast Expediation, with no mobilitations, they are easy to walk to, just going up St. Lawrence. Last several trips, however, I have taken to Vancouver Island, I have gone "north" for the whale watching out of Telegraph Cove, and Port Hardy. So I have not gone with them for a few years. but, I have used them since the late 90's for my tours.

Prince of Whales, is an easy vendor to find and they run several boats. With only a port day to consider, they may offer you the most convenience. They have been in business for many years. The Vendor I use is Seacoast Expediation, with no mobilitations, they are easy to walk to, just going up St. Lawrence. Last several trips, however, I have taken to Vancouver Island, I have gone "north" for the whale watching out of Telegraph Cove, and Port Hardy. So I have not gone with them for a few years. but, I have used them since the late 90's for my tours.

Thanks for that. PoW looks good on the web site.

IMHO you don't need a car in Skagway. You catch the train at the pier and the town is so small, it's an easy walk from one end to the other. If you DIY for the train, make sure you know exactly where you board. The public doesn't board where cruise ship passengers do.

IMHO you don't need a car in Skagway. You catch the train at the pier and the town is so small, it's an easy walk from one end to the other. If you DIY for the train, make sure you know exactly where you board. The public doesn't board where cruise ship passengers do.

I hired a car as we want to drive up to Whitehorse and back.

We will do the train up and the bus back the next time we are in Alaska.

We will do a Seward to Anchorage cruise next time as well to see a bit more. We also want to go up to Fairbanks and Denali some time in the future.

I went out in Sept 2014 with Orca Enterprises whale watching out of Juneau. There was about a dozen people on board. We had a great time watching whales and listening to the crew of the surroundings. They also have snacks which included salmon. I would definitely recommend them again. The cost was $125 and worth every penny of it.