Alcohol Returned on Morning of Debarkation

deetrayn

Does anyone have feedback on how this is working out? It seems very inconvenient. I need to pack everything in my suitcases the night before luggage is collected. Not being able to do so has me re-thinking my purchases. I usually buy Hennessy Pure White on the ship, as well as a bottle or two at the ports.

We bought three bottles on board. Pick-up was in the comedy lounge between 6-9 (we began disembarking about 930). Dh picked up and said it was easy...Room was divided by floors. All three bottles were in a box with a handle, but there was no packing of any kind in between the bottles. We were driving home so it wasn't a big deal for us, but if you were flying I would put some t shirts aside to stuff in the box.

I've read another post where the alcohol was to be picked up the last AM.

Of course, if you're flying, your luggage has already been taken off the ship unless you do self-debarkation. I can just see the people picking up suitcase before going through customs, laying down & opening up suitcase to fit the bottles in said suitcase.

For this reason, I doubt if I will purchase any alcohol on the ship or in ports. Too much trouble.

Of course, if you're flying, your luggage has already been taken off the ship unless you do self-debarkation. I can just see the people picking up suitcase before going through customs, laying down & opening up suitcase to fit the bottles in said suitcase.

For this reason, I doubt if I will purchase any alcohol on the ship or in ports. Too much trouble.

No question that when we fly we would not bring alcohol back.

when we drive we have a long way to go and want to get off the ship quickly so why add picking up alcohol to what we need to do to get off the ship? Not worth it to possibly save a few bucks

Delivered the night before if you use luggage express to the plane. Of course that's a charge too.

After picking up the liquor, make sure you got your whole order.

Purchases onboard are in a box. Purchases from shore are in whatever you have them.

FWIW, not for booze, but we have on several occasions reorganized (completely) all our luggage in airport baggage claim.

After picking up the liquor, make sure you got your whole order.

Purchases onboard are in a box. Purchases from shore are in whatever you have them.

FWIW, not for booze, but we have on several occasions reorganized (completely) all our luggage in airport baggage claim.

And that's also a PITA to do that.

We did the same thing only once when we were returning from Hawaii cruise. My husband's luggage was over by a few pounds due to the 4-pack container of Macadamia nuts I put in his suitcase. Shifted a few things to my suitcase & we were OK.

Bought a luggage scale to make sure this never happens again.

That is what I'm afraid of. I could see this being a nightmare. I'm going to give luggage express a try.

That is what I'm afraid of. I could see this being a nightmare. I'm going to give luggage express a try.

Yes, but that's an added expense on top of the fee for luggage the airline charges.

We have the Delta Skymiles AmEx card so we don't pay for luggage. However, the luggage express fee for both of us would probably wipe out any savings on liquor purchase.

You know, both times I've cruised I knew that I wanted to buy some liquor to bring back and I always left some space in my suitcase so that I can stuff the bottles in when I get off the ship. Yes, it's a bit of an inconvenience to have them hand over the booze the morning of debarkation. But if you plan ahead for your purchase (at least for booze) it'll take you no more than 5 minutes to get things in order in your suitcase.

BTW... I was on the Liberty out of San Juan the first week of August and the process took place in the golden dinning room forward on the upper level. There was a bit of a lack of organization but I was in and out in about 7 minutes. I had self-assist so packing the bottles were really not an issue for me.

Edited by Stinger-pr

I don't know. I took me less than a minute in the airport to unzip, stuff in the boxes of liquor and rezip. If one minute of time is too much of an inconvenience to you then you might be better off not purchasing liquour.

There is an inconvience factor here from having to get it in a lounge and than repack your stuff. People will do as they wish but would hope enough stop buying liquor that they will reconsider this policy.

Just off the Breeze and while inconvenient, it was supper easy. Packed everything the night before and left enough space for the box of alcohol. They told me the 3 bottles of the Pure White Hennessy would be weigh 6 pounds. Worked out fine. Was there around 6:30am and there was a short line. The cost was $37 per bottle if you purchased three or more.

I always buy 3-4 bottles and picking up the bottles the morning "of" was new to me. I just came off the Victory 2 days ago. I brought bottles on my excursion and I brought bottles on the ship. I knew ahead of time I needed the extra space so I packed light and put my stuff in a bigger suitcase and I brought my scale (Walmart) with me.

The morning of I picked up my boxed bottles and my wrapped bottles from my excursions, headed down to luggage claim, found a spot away from the foot traffic, inserted the bag with 3 bottles in the middle of the suitcase, covered it with my towel and hand carried the box out (2 bottles). When we got to the airport, I had plenty of time and space to rearrange and weigh my luggage.

Happy sailing!

There is an inconvience factor here from having to get it in a lounge and than repack your stuff. People will do as they wish but would hope enough stop buying liquor that they will reconsider this policy.

I agree! I prefer to pack my boxes deep into the suitcase, surrounded by everything else instead of putting in on top. I'm going to pay the fee for luggage express so I can pack my suitcase the way I like the night before.

It may be a quick process, but the last thing I want to do on debarkation morning is have an additional line to get into. I'm already bummed about leaving, don't need to add to it. Lol

I agree! I prefer to pack my boxes deep into the suitcase, surrounded by everything else instead of putting in on top. I'm going to pay the fee for luggage express so I can pack my suitcase the way I like the night before.

It may be a quick process, but the last thing I want to do on debarkation morning is have an additional line to get into. I'm already bummed about leaving, don't need to add to it. Lol

Unfortunately too many people IMHO will put up with companies policies that are not in their best interest and do nothing to get them to change.

Unfortunately too many people IMHO will put up with companies policies that are not in their best interest and do nothing to get them to change.

As long as Carnival publishes or states their liquor return policy up-front all is well with the world. Purchasing liquor on board or bringing liquor on board from ports is not an inalienable right but a "luxury" that the ship offers. Don't like morning pick up...don't purchase liquor. If Carnival feels this is hitting them negatively, financially, they may reconsider how the liquor is distributed but I'll bet there has been little change in sales, additional liquor sales in bars the final night has probably increased, and Carnival is probably glad they don't have to use all the man-power to distribute liquor the last night. All of this is a big win for them.

Just off the Valor two weeks ago. It was our 7th Carnival cruise. On all of our previous cruises we have always bought several bottles of liquor at the shops on board (spending easily a hundred dollars or more each time). This time we did not! We usually drive to our starting ports in Florida. Which means when I get off I have a 6 hour, 8 hour, or longer drive to get home. I refuse to get up earlier on my last day because of this new change to the rules if I purchase liquor on board the ship. It makes a long day even longer. It is a totally unnecessary step in the debarkation process.

I feel this added task on the morning I must leave the ship to be a PITA just to make Carnival 's job easier. I don't think they will go back to the old sensible way. But that is OK. I will just keep my money in my pocket, not theirs.

Just off the Valor two weeks ago. It was our 7th Carnival cruise. On all of our previous cruises we have always bought several bottles of liquor at the shops on board (spending easily a hundred dollars or more each time). This time we did not! We usually drive to our starting ports in Florida. Which means when I get off I have a 6 hour, 8 hour, or longer drive to get home. I refuse to get up earlier on my last day because of this new change to the rules if I purchase liquor on board the ship. It makes a long day even longer. It is a totally unnecessary step in the debarkation process.

I feel this added task on the morning I must leave the ship to be a PITA just to make Carnival 's job easier. I don't think they will go back to the old sensible way. But that is OK. I will just keep my money in my pocket, not theirs.