Cell service confusion --- help!

andrea802

I will be on the Riviera in September and have AT&T mobile service. When on the ship with access to the internet, will we be able to use Viber? I used Viber when in Vietnam but this was at a hotel and not on a cruise. We can get some sort of AT&T Passport to use in port but I'm not sure if that will work at sea. And, they charge about $60 plus $0.50 per minute. I looked into buying an international phone but not sure how that will work either.

Anyone familiar with the best way to set up cell service? My husband needs to be able to make a few calls per day .... me, I'm planning to be on vacation!

Thanks.

I will be on the Riviera in September and have AT&T mobile service. When on the ship with access to the internet, will we be able to use Viber? I used Viber when in Vietnam but this was at a hotel and not on a cruise. We can get some sort of AT&T Passport to use in port but I'm not sure if that will work at sea. And, they charge about $60 plus $0.50 per minute. I looked into buying an international phone but not sure how that will work either.

Anyone familiar with the best way to set up cell service? My husband needs to be able to make a few calls per day .... me, I'm planning to be on vacation!

Thanks.

AT&T Passport only works on land. AT&T Connect@Sea works on some cruise lines, including Oceania. They are two different extra cost packages with voice/data/texts options.

If you have a newer cell phone (e.g., an iPhone 6 or 7), it is capable of doing "wifi calling" instead of using either or both of the two above packages that include "voice" communications (at a discounted albeit still not cheap rate). However, "wifi calling" requires a good connection with reasonable/consistent speed and latency. And that will be very uncertain on any ship- depending on where you are on the ship and where is the ship itself.

As for communications apps (e.g., FaceTime et al.), Oceania may block or throttle user access when you start eating up the broadband. So, a "need" to make multiple phone calls per day while at sea would suggest Connect@Sea for the best shot at reliability.

Just got off Riviera and, as often is the case, wifi connectivity varies widely from excellent in the Riviera lounge to dismal (most often) in the cabins.

We use the "free" O Life unlimited internet (allows one device at a time) while at sea (primarily for e-mail and web access) and get the AT&T "silver" Passport ($60 for a month including voice discounted roaming rates, texting and 300'MB data) for time in ports.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Currently on Insignia.

I have Comcast and have been able to make free calls while on internet (free unlimited) with my Xfinity Connect app. It was just like calling from my home number- works like a charm. I had to make a few calls to 800 numbers at home and some family calls - no problem.

For port intensive cruises and/or cruises in conjunction with land based trips, for which I am usually traveling international for 4-8 weeks, I use AT&T Passport Gold at $120 fo 800MB/month, unlimited texting and phone calls at 35¢/min; all for when in port or within range of land-based towers. When on land, in port or otherwise, I use maps, pocket guides, email, etc more than I would at home which comes to daily usage of about about 30-40MB/day. For TATL cruises I also augment my coverage with the an AT&T Cruise Package for $30 for 50 minutes of calls/month with additional calls @$1/min. I use these for quick incoming and outgoing business calls, and then if more extensive discussion is required I return to cabin and Skype over ships free WiFi.

You should pick the package that works best for your usage pattern. For me 800MB works out well for a month and if you go over, it is at the same rate, an additional 15¢/MB. On the rare occasion I go on a short trip, then I opt for the $30 or $60 package, or would consider their new service which is $10/day for unlimited everything; but doesn't work well for 30 day trip as that would be $300 so Passport Gold is much more cost effective at $120.

Hopefully, Oceania will keep wifi and cell phone connection in all the dining venues as totally crappy as possible. Non existent would be even better!

In the theater area would be another place to add to the list. Everyone applauded David Carr when he publicly banished one trivia team, and all its members,in front of all there, for the remainder of the cruise, for using their cell phones to acquire answers.

The last thing I want, on a relaxing cruise, is to be sitting at dinner listening to someone at the next table, or at a table we're sharing, yakking constantly on a cell phone!

Hopefully, Oceania will keep wifi and cell phone connection in all the dining venues as totally crappy as possible. Non existent would be even better!

In the theater area would be another place to add to the list. Everyone applauded David Carr when he publicly banished one trivia team, and all its members,in front of all there, for the remainder of the cruise, for using their cell phones to acquire answers.

The last thing I want, on a relaxing cruise, is to be sitting at dinner listening to someone at the next table, or at a table we're sharing, yakking constantly on a cell phone!

Agreed --- we will be using the phone in our cabin and won't disturb other cruisers. Thanks for the info.

AT&T Passport only works on land. AT&T Connect@Sea works on some cruise lines, including Oceania. They are two different extra cost packages with voice/data/texts options.

If you have a newer cell phone (e.g., an iPhone 6 or 7), it is capable of doing "wifi calling" instead of using either or both of the two above packages that include "voice" communications (at a discounted albeit still not cheap rate). However, "wifi calling" requires a good connection with reasonable/consistent speed and latency. And that will be very uncertain on any ship- depending on where you are on the ship and where is the ship itself.

As for communications apps (e.g., FaceTime et al.), Oceania may block or throttle user access when you start eating up the broadband. So, a "need" to make multiple phone calls per day while at sea would suggest Connect@Sea for the best shot at reliability.

Just got off Riviera and, as often is the case, wifi connectivity varies widely from excellent in the Riviera lounge to dismal (most often) in the cabins.

We use the "free" O Life unlimited internet (allows one device at a time) while at sea (primarily for e-mail and web access) and get the AT&T "silver" Passport ($60 for a month including voice discounted roaming rates, texting and 300'MB data) for time in ports.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank You! :halo:

Any person with common courtesy silences or turns off their phone when dining, at movies, theater, spa, etc. While there are exceptions, and people who sometimes forget, I would guess this includes most O cruisers.

I remember the days when mobile phones first became common place and people would talk very loudly on their mobiles. I still have a friend who does that, and it annoys me to no end. One can talk quietly on their mobile when in a public area where using it is acceptable (by the pool, walking about, etc.).