Switching Rooms Between Family

SaltWaterGal

Hi All, I tried searching for a similar topic but to no avail.

We are traveling with a group of family members, including two 17 yo girls. These girls are very responsible and our family has no problem allowing the girls to have their own room. Norweigian, understandably, does not allow two minors to be in a room alone. So "on paper" our travel agent split one of the couples up and put a minor in each room. The travel agent is saying once we get on board we should be able to go to the service desk and get rooms switched around (because while they could just switch rooms off paper once on board, we want to make sure everyone has key card access to their correct room).

Does anyone have experience or knowledge of doing something like this? I don't know how much I believe the travel agent saying we can "switch on board". We're celebrating my parents in law's 50th wedding anniversary and I want everything to go as smoothly as possible!

Thanks CC Community!

It's my understanding it's not so much a "switch" as you'll request a few extra keycards for the people who are switching rooms. As in, "hey, we're all family and these people need to be able to get into this room" and NOT a true switch. That's why those who won't be sleeping in their assigned room will have two keycards - one for their original room which is what their charge account will be tied to and one for the room in which they will be sleeping.

We've been on 4 cruises with our three daughters and all under 18. On each occasion we booked with one parent in each cabin (one arranged as a double and one arranged as 2 singles with a pullman bed), the three daughters shared one cabin and we had the double cabin next door. We asked for addional keys so that we could all enter either cabin.one key card is just for entry and the other is your id, and credit card. Absolutely no problem at all.

This is great! We have connecting inside cabins on the breakaway in November and our agent said she had to fudge the birthday for my son in the kids room so she could book us in one room and the kids in another with different perks. I've started the checkin but in order to have an ncl account you have to be over 14. It just so happens that my son has the same name as my husband except for the middle so I created an account under him and both reservations show up! When I started the checkin I just made sure the birthdays were correct for each room so hopefully we won't have any card shuffling to do!

This is great! We have connecting inside cabins on the breakaway in November and our agent said she had to fudge the birthday for my son in the kids room so she could book us in one room and the kids in another with different perks. I've started the checkin but in order to have an ncl account you have to be over 14. It just so happens that my son has the same name as my husband except for the middle so I created an account under him and both reservations show up! When I started the checkin I just made sure the birthdays were correct for each room so hopefully we won't have any card shuffling to do!

I don't know how "fudging" a birthday will work. You will have to give them a birth certificate or passport with the correct information on it and they will notice the error. It is not a big deal to get a 2nd room card for your kids room and they don't really care where everyone sleeps. As long as the kids behave. What they are trying to avoid is having a bunch of kids unattended on the ship; which is why they require an adult booked into each room. You are setting yourself up for more hassles during checkin IMHO.

• 2 months later...

My son is staying in the Studios and my husband and I are staying in a balcony. We will get my son an extra key card to our room so he can use the balcony if he wants while we are not in the room.

Will NCL give us an extra key card for his studio room? I know this key card gives access to the studio lounge. I would like to get a key to his room just in case. Sometimes we forget things at the pool or before an excursion and it is nice to send one person back to both rooms. I know he could just give us his key, but what if he is already off the boat?

Our family has the unlimited beverage plan. Are the key cards also used as credit cards/ID cards at the bars? In other words, will the key cards indicate that my kids are minors when we change rooms? My 19 year old daughter could easily be mistaken for 21.

Also, the reason that we all have the beverage plan is because my husband & I want this & we were told that all passengers in the same room have to have the same benefit. Is this true?

They will give you a separate card that works just for the door. You will still have the room key that is attached to the beverage package. I had to carry around two keys. YOU must have the beverage card to get a drink each and every time. And yes, to my knowledge and experience, every person must have a beverage package of some sort, alcohol or soda.