11:30 AM flight from FCO airport will I make it?

justluv2cruisewithhubby

I am planning on hiring a reputable company to pick us up at the Cruise port in Rome and bring us to FCO airport. They state it is only 1.5 hr drive, I was going to have them pick us up at 8 am and we should get to the airport by 9:30 am. The flight leaves at 11:30 am which allows us 2 hrs at the airport.

Am I cutting it too close, there is another flight at 1:30 pm however the down side is its substantially more.

Unless there is a significant traffic issue, it should only take one hour to get from the port to the airport -- which is a good thing for you, because I wouldn't want to allow less than 2.5 hours at the airport, assuming you are flying to the US from FCO. (There is an extra layer of security for US bound flights that takes extra time.)

You SHOULD be okay, assuming everything goes as planned. Of course, there are no guarantees. If it were me, I might try for a 7:30 am departure from Civitavecchia for a little extra comfort.

Unless there is a significant traffic issue, it should only take one hour to get from the port to the airport -- which is a good thing for you, because I wouldn't want to allow less than 2.5 hours at the airport, assuming you are flying to the US from FCO. (There is an extra layer of security for US bound flights that takes extra time.)

You SHOULD be okay, assuming everything goes as planned. Of course, there are no guarantees. If it were me, I might try for a 7:30 am departure from Civitavecchia for a little extra comfort.

I will be on the Allure - would they let us off the ship that early? If so, then I sure can do that.

I will be on the Allure - would they let us off the ship that early? If so, then I sure can do that.

It depends on the time of your arrival and the cruise line's policies. I'd suggest you ask on the RCL boards.

It's not too uncommon to read on these boards of folks getting off the ship as early as 7:00 am -- again, depending on an early arrival and clearance.

There is an extra layer of security for US bound flights that takes extra time.
Don't gloss over this as it's a real issue. There is a special terminal for flights bound to the US with American branded airlines (American, United, US Air, Delta) that requires significantly more time for check in.

This is one of those questions that no one can answer with 100% certainty.

I prefer a flight sometime after noon because I like more pad just in case and I don't like to stress about things.

You are wise to have a private pickup and the drive to the airport should be around 45 minutes to an hour.

If there was a flight about an hour later I would take it just because like some airports around the world including the USA the FCO airport can be a bit chaotic.

Again, 11:30 AM is possible and some will tell you that they've made flights as areal as 10:30 AM but there is always some risk with this which is why in my case I would book something a little later.

Keith