Could an RSSC Captain marry us at sea, and would it be legal?

on our 2005 World Cruise Capt. Dag married Amy & Greg (both RSSC employees who were working on the ship). CD Jamie walked Amy in. Bridesmaids were all of Amy's Peter Grey Dancer/Singer friends. It was a gorgeous ceremony, outside on the bow, right at dusk with the sun setting. All the passengers were invited to the ceremony and really nice, fun reception afterwards. It was a beautiful wedding I'll never forget.

From what I heard (rumor or truth?), the ceremony wasn't legal as they were planning a trip to the JP when they got off the ship in FLL. I'm guessing that Capt. Dag did this because he was close to both the bride and groom....never heard of it happening with passengers on RSSC.

I have noticed that some cruise lines promote legal weddings on board and others say not availible.

I wondr if the difference is who is Captain and if they are licensed somehow over other Captains that are not.

Or maybe the Captain does it but a clergy person is on board to make it legal.

Alrighty, the Master of a ship (Captain) has no powers of marriage what so ever. If a person who is a Captain applies to become a marriage celebrant and register in a given state of a given country ( as some have) then they may marry you.

Otherwise any onboard ceremony is purely for show.

I am not registered and therefore the ceremonies I took charge over were renewals only, and for a special touch to a cruise for those in love....:D

Thank you everyone for your comments and interest.

So it seems that my long-term partner [Mike] and I will not be sailing into the sunset hearing wedding bells!!

Be aware though that some cruiselines, on specific cruises, do have chaplians onboard who can legally marry you. Check with the line:cool:

Legal weddings can take place in a port of call IF you abide by the laws of the land and have a person legally qualified to perform the wedding. Princess has chapels on board where a clergy man comes aboard in Florida before sailing and has a legal wedding just as if it had been in a church on land.

At sea - these are not legal.

Legal weddings can take place in a port of call IF you abide by the laws of the land and have a person legally qualified to perform the wedding. Princess has chapels on board where a clergy man comes aboard in Florida before sailing and has a legal wedding just as if it had been in a church on land.

At sea - these are not legal.

Princess Captains marry couples at sea. Many of their ships have wedding chapels and ceremonies are not limited to FL, or to before sailing.

That is interesting. Perhaps they are still in US waters and the clergyman is licensed or perhaps the information I had was wrong. Things are always changing. Do you know where these took place? In the Caribbean, in Europe, or in international waters?

That is interesting. Perhaps they are still in US waters and the clergyman is licensed or perhaps the information I had was wrong. Things are always changing. Do you know where these took place? In the Caribbean, in Europe, or in international waters?

They have wedding chapels on their Grand class ships. I am personally familiar with their Caribbean (getting married on X in November and did research Princess before hand) and couples marry at sea which is international waters. I do not know why Europe would be any different, since the Captain of vessel is the officiant, but I did not personally check into that option.

The RSSC UK Agent has today advised me that:

"The Captain on the Voyager and our other ships are only licensed to do a Renewal of Vowels Ceremony"

So, for anyone else considering the possibility of 'Wedding Bells' on on a Regent cruise, unfortunately it's not an option.

The RSSC UK Agent has today advised me that:

"The Captain on the Voyager and our other ships are only licensed to do a Renewal of Vowels Ceremony"

So, for anyone else considering the possibility of 'Wedding Bells' on on a Regent cruise, unfortunately it's not an option.

A renewal of Vowels ceremony? AEIOU? LOL :D

Host Dan

Princess Captains marry couples at sea. Many of their ships have wedding chapels and ceremonies are not limited to FL, or to before sailing.

Yes Princess ships do have chapels (Grand class at least) but they are not married by the Captain, they bring on chaplains to carry this out. I have worked on these ships, it is NOT the captain who marries. He is not able to do this. It is an old tradition, not true today. He can do a ceremony but it's not legal. The ship I am on now does renewal of wedding vows and the captain does that because it is not legally binding.

From their website:

http://www.princess.com/onboard/services/celebrations/weddings.html

"Consider hosting your wedding at sea with "Tie the Knot" a unique alternative that allows you to combine your ceremony and honeymoon ijnto one complete, special package. Your ceremony is conducted by the Captain of your ship, and Princess offers a wide variety of ...."

"Consider hosting your wedding at sea with "Tie the Knot" a unique alternative that allows you to combine your ceremony and honeymoon ijnto one complete, special package. Your ceremony is conducted by the Captain of your ship, and Princess offers a wide variety of ...."

Hmm, well I have never seen that and I work on the bridge. It was always the chaplain in my experience.

Archived