Anyone Have Info on CDF Croisieres de France- Horizon

richstowe

@ islandterrace

My husband and I are arriving on the 10th and will be staying at the Santo Domingo B&B, 10205 Santo Domingo, Calle Bernardo Pichardo 11 Gazcue.

You can check the reviews on this trip advisor link:

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g147289-d6396352-Reviews-Santo_Domingo_Bed_and_Breakfast-Santo_Domingo_Santo_Domingo_Province_Dominican_Republi.html

mail@santodomingobb.com

We have arranged for transfer from the airport to the B&B (~$35 US) and transfer to the port (~$5 US).

Not sure what time we can board.

@CrossBluePerchance Thanks for sharing your booking information. I didn't have any luck booking at this B&B (they couldn't accommodate the night before the cruise) but just booked at another one in the colonial zone through airbnb. We are staying 4/8- 4/11. I would love to connect before we board the ship. My email is colleen at foshee dot biz Let me know if you would be interested! :)

Thank you Mapsmith. I did see Stockjock's video. It was helpful although as he hasn't actually sailed CDF,

much of his comments are conjecture . I'm looking into airfare. It could be worse but it is expensive.

The crazy thing is that air may turn out to be about twice the cost of the cruise itself.:eek:

Here's a direct link to the video. While my cruise is still about a month out, I continue to believe that most info presented is accurate. I'm continuing to update info in the remarks section on YouTube (just added check-in information), so you might wish to click through to YouTube to view those additional comments.[YOUTUBE]N3RdMEd2bbk[/YOUTUBE]

Does this mean that you might have to pay more in taxes if the cruise line says so; even after the sale is final and paid in full?

I believe that this is a standard CYA addendum; we have never encountered a situation where taxes have been raised after payment, but perhaps more experienced cruisers could comment?

Noticed another great deal for a CDF Horizon cruise .... this one is next fall ... weather might not be perfect ... but @ $495 US PP (55+ rate) for an inside cabin ... it is a good deal for a 9 day Mediterranean cruise

Sat Oct 31 Marseille, France

Sun Nov 1 At Sea

Mon Nov 2 Messina, Sicily, Italy

Tues Nov 3 Corfu, Greece

Wed Nov 4 Dubrovnik, Croatia

Thurs Nov 5 Kotor, Montenegro

Fri Nov 6 Bari, Italy

Sat Nov 7 At Sea

Sun Nov 8 Ajaccio, Corsica, France

Mon Nov 9 Marseille, France

• 2 weeks later...

Hola. Hope you are fine.

Please write:

rosaligiaa@hotmail.com

Will like to share excursions. We can rent a car with driver-guide.

I have called twice to Pullmantour Cruises in Spain and they tell me the cruise will be multi-lingual: French, Spanish and English I hope so!

Is there a Formal Night? Captain night? etc.

Thans.

peace

Rosaligia Álvarez

Puerto Rico

Hola. Hope you are fine.

Please write:

rosaligiaa@hotmail.com

Will like to share excursions. We can rent a car with driver-guide.

I have called twice to Pullmantour Cruises in Spain and they tell me the cruise will be multi-lingual: French, Spanish and English I hope so!

Is there a Formal Night? Captain night? etc.

Thans.

peace

Rosaligia Álvarez

Puerto Rico

Hola. I sent you an email. :)

My wife and me also booked today the CDF Horizon for the 14 night transatlantic cruise Santo Domingo to Barcelona.

@CrossBluePerchance:

How do you get to Santo Domingo? We're right now looking on good flight connections from Fort Lauderdale using Spirit Airlines.

We would love to "meet" other people here who are booked on the same cruise...

Hi, I just booked this today, am flying from Orlando on AA for $152 inc 1 checked bag, seemed an OK cost.

Looks like we have at least a handful of English speakers.

This is going to be interesting, I'm used to Princess and need a change from their menus etc.

I'll miss my free laundry but look forward to the free drinks.

Drinks - laundry laundry - Drinks ???? not too hard to decide the winner.

Hi, I just booked this today, am flying from Orlando on AA for $152 inc 1 checked bag, seemed an OK cost.

Looks like we have at least a handful of English speakers.

This is going to be interesting, I'm used to Princess and need a change from their menus etc.

I'll miss my free laundry but look forward to the free drinks.

Drinks - laundry laundry - Drinks ???? not too hard to decide the winner.

Welcome to the adventure @Griller. My husband Tony and I are booked too. We are from Dallas. Looking forward to meeting you. I think that's an awesome deal on your airfare!

Welcome to the adventure @Griller. My husband Tony and I are booked too. We are from Dallas. Looking forward to meeting you. I think that's an awesome deal on your airfare!

Its only a short flight, last time I did a similar cruise I had to fly to Antigua and it was $300 and 3 planes, changing in San Juan and somewhere else. I remember sleeping on the floor at San Juan PR airport as there was 8 hours between flights.

That similar cruise was 20 days for $400 solo inside, but the drinks sticker was $30 a day or so. MSC Lirica, not bad, been on there several times. Only 1200 on the T/A crossing, 800 Francophones from Martinique got off there after the first 8 days. They closed one dining room. This MAY be the same, who knows?

Trivia was the funniest thing on board, multi lingual, 8 to a team, well 8 to a team for US, Brits, Canadians and Germans, up to 23 to a team for French, and the Italians didn't care about winning, just laughed a lot and tossed balloons around.

Whole cruise was fun, and this will be as well as long as we don't expect it to be the same as a US style experience on board.

But we all know that on here already or we wouldn't be on this forum.

Edited by Griller

Its only a short flight, last time I did a similar cruise I had to fly to Antigua and it was $300 and 3 planes, changing in San Juan and somewhere else. I remember sleeping on the floor at San Juan PR airport as there was 8 hours between flights.

That similar cruise was 20 days for $400 solo inside, but the drinks sticker was $30 a day or so. MSC Lirica, not bad, been on there several times. Only 1200 on the T/A crossing, 800 Francophones from Martinique got off there after the first 8 days. They closed one dining room. This MAY be the same, who knows?

Trivia was the funniest thing on board, multi lingual, 8 to a team, well 8 to a team for US, Brits, Canadians and Germans, up to 23 to a team for French, and the Italians didn't care about winning, just laughed a lot and tossed balloons around.

Whole cruise was fun, and this will be as well as long as we don't expect it to be the same as a US style experience on board.

But we all know that on here already or we wouldn't be on this forum.

Wow @Griller, you are great at finding the value bargains!!! Anything else going on this year that you know about? I wanted to mention that my TA told me this is not AI for drinks, but others have said different. We shall see what the real story is when we board I guess. :) We are looking forward to the fun of being out of our comfort zone. I am using the Duolingo app to learn as much French as I can. Excellent app - I recommend it.

• 2 weeks later...

My husband and I have just purchased the 14 night transatlantic CDF Horizen cruise from Santo Domingo to Barcelona. So glad to see some chatter about the cruise since we haven't been able to find out much. Finally booked our flight from Toronto and will arrive 10 April about 7:30pm, so if anyone arrives around that time we'd be happy to share a ride to hotels in the port area (we are at El Beaterio). Would love to hear others' plans for excursions, etc.

My husband and I have just purchased the 14 night transatlantic CDF Horizen cruise from Santo Domingo to Barcelona. So glad to see some chatter about the cruise since we haven't been able to find out much. Finally booked our flight from Toronto and will arrive 10 April about 7:30pm, so if anyone arrives around that time we'd be happy to share a ride to hotels in the port area (we are at El Beaterio). Would love to hear others' plans for excursions, etc.

Welcome @duckface.

My husband Tony and I arrive in Santa Domingo on 11/8 so we will see you on board. :)

For any of you interested in meeting the other English speakers on this cruise, let's do a quick meet up at the back of the ship at the Terrasse Et Grill at the beginning of sail away. Ladies please wear Mardi Gras beads so we can find one another. :)

Kati and I (Don) would like to join you during the sail away. It will be interesting to see how many English speaking cruisers are on board. We arrive shortly after noon on the 11th via Kennedy. Haven't located the CDF excursion offerings, however on previous relocation cruises we have found extreme end of season price reductions by local operators in port, as low as 1/4 the cruise line price.

For any of you interested in meeting the other English speakers on this cruise, let's do a quick meet up at the back of the ship at the Terrasse Et Grill at the beginning of sail away. Ladies please wear Mardi Gras beads so we can find one another. :)

Wow, I can hardly believe that in this day and age such sexist posts are allowed..................................

What are the men meant to do? Specially solo cruisers?

I do have Mardi Gras beads but am now afraid that wearing them may mark me as a cross dresser.

Edited by Griller

Wow, I can hardly believe that in this day and age such sexist posts are allowed..................................

What are the men meant to do? Specially solo cruisers?

I do have Mardi Gras beads but am now afraid that wearing them may mark me as a cross dresser.

@Griller I am smiling as I respond - realizing you are quite right - that was kind of a sexist post although it wasn't intended that way. Thanks for correcting me. Men, please wear beads too so we know who you are! :)

Kati and I (Don) would like to join you during the sail away. It will be interesting to see how many English speaking cruisers are on board. We arrive shortly after noon on the 11th via Kennedy. Haven't located the CDF excursion offerings, however on previous relocation cruises we have found extreme end of season price reductions by local operators in port, as low as 1/4 the cruise line price.

@Islandterrace, It will be fun to meet you! We always arrange our own excursions - just haven't gotten to that yet. Let me know if you find anything interesting and I will so the same.