Hong Kong At Night

CruisePrincess6

What is the best way to see the lights of Hong Kong while overnighting on a cruise ship? How easy is it to get to Victoria Peak and the Stanley Market from the ship? Any additional suggestions about what to see and how to get there would be appreciated. We will be there in a few weeks.

I'm guessing you mean the laser show, every evening at 8pm.

If your ship is berthed on the harbour-front side of the old cruise terminal you'll have a grandstand view. Sorry, don't know about the view from the new terminal. Both are on the mainland at Tsim Sha Tsui ( often abbreviated to TST)

If your ship is berthed with a good view, might be worth asking if they'll be broadcasting the accompanying music (a local radio station plays it, easy to tune to it). Our ship didn't, we didn't even know about the music, and we found the light show very disappointing. Next day our hotel (the Salisbury) mentioned it and we tuned in from our harbour view room. Wow, what a difference with music!!!

If your ship isn't a good viewpoint, head for the Avenue of Stars, by the Star Ferry's terminal in TST, where I presume they still broadcast the music. Or ask whether any hotels have harbour view bars with the music.

For Stanley market there's a double-deck bus service from the bus station near the Star Ferry terminal on the island.

You can visit the Peak by bus - there's probably a service from that same bus station, or you can do as we did and when you head back from Stanley market ask the driver to put you off at a stop where you can walk to a bus stop round the corner to catch another bus to the Peak.

We then returned fron the Peak to the city by funicular, but be warned there can be a long line going up or down.

HK is a favourite port of mine but air pollution spoils and often obliterates the view. Think Los Angeles a couple of decades ago. If you can't see the Peak from the harbour, then you'll not be able to see the harbour from the Peak.

No need for a tour or private transport.

Public transport in HK is efficient, fast, frequent and ridiculously cheap. And the ferries and the island's rickety old trams are fun. Roads are crowded but trams and to a large extent buses have dedicated traffic lanes. I don't know whether you can buy tickets with plastic, but definitely no foreign currency.

Taxis are plentiful but many drivers have little or no english. And they spend a lot of time stuck in traffic.

Best and most atmospheric local shopping is in Wan Chai, on the island, or the night market halfway up Nathan Road in Tsim Sha Tsui.

JB :)

It is impossible to view the light show from the new terminal (Kai Tak). Take the shuttle bus or MTR to Avenue of the Stars at Tsim Sha Tsui.

When will you be in Hong Kong? Many bus services (including those going to the Peak and Stanley) are currently affected by the "Occuply Central" movement. Both services now start from Wan Chai instead of Central. I can provide you with the latest information nearer to your date of arrival if you want.

If your ship is docked at the old terminal--a great location, in my opinion--you will have a great view of the laser light show, but it is unlikely that the music will be piped in on the ship's PA system. (Would not hurt to ask the Hotel Director a day or two in advance if this could be arranged. He/she might be able to do so.) If at the old terminal, it is well worth a walk to the Avenue of the Stars to see and hear the show. Even without the music, I thoroughly enjoyed it! Hong Kong is a great city!

• 3 weeks later...
Wonder if you can provide an update on this since we will be there in 2 weeks. Where will we need to take the bus from to visit the Peak and Stanley Market?

Thanks

For both, and other destinations on the Island, from the Central bus terminal on the Island at Exchange Square - that's near the Central Star Ferry pier.

If you're starting from the mainland you can take the Star Ferry to Central from the Tsim Sha Tsui terminal. Or doubtless the mass-transit railway, though I've no experience of it.

You'll need local currency - get some coins soonest, I'm not too sure if buses are correct-fare only.

JB :)

• 1 month later...

Check with the Star Ferry offices on the Kaloon side. Not sure of the spelling on that. The Star ferry has lots of special tours. One of them is a nite tour of the harbor. Open bar and very nice ride if the weather is ok.

• 2 weeks later...
...... the mass-transit railway, though I've no experience of it.

We just got off the Sapphire Princess with two days in Hong Kong. Mass transit - MTR was fantastic. We have done it before - bus and trains for the one ticket. (and light rail). Adult Octopus card or Senior Octopus card. (They honour your countries Senior Card eg Australia). Any value left on the card at the end can be refunded. (easy peezy).

Princess had FREE shuttle buses to three shopping centres above three MTR stations. We went to Plaza Hollywood Shopping Centre - and went everywhere via Octopus card on the MTR.

Light show was just weird - not what I expected but you have to see it I guess. (Not a patch on Sydney Harbour lights at New Year). bye BJ

• 3 weeks later...

Go to the peak early. There was a massive queue by mid morning. We used the MTR and busses to get around. We also went to botanic gardens and the gardens before you get to the peak. These were lovely and worth a visit. The big Buddha Lantau was a great trip, easy to get to on the MTR, then bus. Stanley market is huge with lots of choice. I could spend hours there. Good deals on silk scarves.

The busses at the cruise terminal were poorly signed. They were parked a walk away from the terminal exit, easy to miss. Maybe this has changed. Ave of stars for light show, bit of a disappointment after Singapore.

We walked from the star ferry terminal to the bus terminal, we had to ask for directions to get there, as it was not obvious. Sorry but can't remember the specifics. I think the first bus terminal was the wrong one.