Cruise Ship Duty Free Shop

griz400

OK, not completely understanding this, its a store on ship that opens up once you get out on international waters ? that you can purchase items that you can purchase in ports of call for same or similar prices ?? So, it pays to check this place out, before buying goods at ports ??

also, i would like to bring back more rum than you are allowed, so, can you do this if you pay the taxes, or "duties " on it, or are you not allowed ? I dont mind paying taxes on it all, cause certain rums are not sold in the states ...

Always check out the ship's store price before checking out the ports.

Most ships will match the land price, provided you bring them printed proof of a better price (brochure, price list).

If you are willing to pay taxes and duties, you can bring back whatever you want.

How much are the taxes for bringing alcohol and stuff back to the states? Or is there somewhere I can find this. Going through customs is the only thing im anxious about. I dont want to have a surprise that I owe like thousands of dollars in taxes for an extra bottle of alcohol.. also what exactly is duty free vs non duty free?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Forums mobile app

How much are the taxes for bringing alcohol and stuff back to the states? Or is there somewhere I can find this. Going through customs is the only thing im anxious about. I dont want to have a surprise that I owe like thousands of dollars in taxes for an extra bottle of alcohol.. also what exactly is duty free vs non duty free?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Forums mobile app

This may help. https://www.dutycalculator.com/

Griz,

Check out the rum prices in the stores near you and take that info with you. I did the same on my first cruise for Scotch, Irish whiskey and Cognac. I used a tablet to download the prices from the VA ABC . The prices on the ship may or may NOT be that great. I got some good deals on the Scotch, the other two were only 2-3 dollars cheaper.

The ship may have items that you can not buy in the US or in ports. I purchased The Macallan Select Oak on the ship. Not available in the US, but I took a chance based on knowing the distillers name, and was glad I purchased it. Also the ship may or may not match the price of the store in port. Worth a try.

You can bring back 1 liter duty free, but you can bring back more than that if you want. Just make sure you declare everything. We brought back 3.75 liters on our first cruise, and were waved right thru. The customs official may not want to be bothered with the paper work for the few dollars for duty & tax.

Enjoy your cruise.

Craig

By the way, the .75 liter was a bottle of Gosling's Family Reserve Old Rum, well worth the money. If you can find it, I highly recommend purchasing it. Excellent straight up.

Griz,

Check out the rum prices in the stores near you and take that info with you. I did the same on my first cruise for Scotch, Irish whiskey and Cognac. I used a tablet to download the prices from the VA ABC . The prices on the ship may or may NOT be that great. I got some good deals on the Scotch, the other two were only 2-3 dollars cheaper.

The ship may have items that you can not buy in the US or in ports. I purchased The Macallan Select Oak on the ship. Not available in the US, but I took a chance based on knowing the distillers name, and was glad I purchased it. Also the ship may or may not match the price of the store in port. Worth a try.

You can bring back 1 liter duty free, but you can bring back more than that if you want. Just make sure you declare everything. We brought back 3.75 liters on our first cruise, and were waved right thru. The customs official may not want to be bothered with the paper work for the few dollars for duty & tax.

Enjoy your cruise.

Craig

By the way, the .75 liter was a bottle of Gosling's Family Reserve Old Rum, well worth the money. If you can find it, I highly recommend purchasing it. Excellent straight up.

thanks alot minnow, we really want some different rums that are not avail in the states, tortuga, 7 fathoms, etc... really looking to drink them on special occasions, and talk about cruise till we take next one ... lol , we have an anniversary coming july 31st, been married to same woman since 1982

will look up goslings for sure, this will be our first cruise, looking to make it a nice one, we are at time in our live when we can easily do this a couple times a year .... long as wife doesnt get sick ... lol, we did a 1 day cruise from palm beach to Bahamas and back on a small ship years ago and she got real sick, the jetstream was through there at that time and small ship really rocked...