Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Carnival Cruise Lines

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Carnival Cruise Lines
- Read thousands of Carnival Cruise Reviews
- Compare the best Carnival Cruise Deals
- Write a Carnival Review
- Find Your CARNIVAL Roll Call
See posts about:
Carnival Breeze
Carnival Elation
Carnival Glory
Carnival Liberty
Carnival Paradise
Carnival Splendor

Carnival Conquest
Carnival Fantasy
Carnival Imagination
Carnival Magic
Carnival Pride
Carnival Sunshine

Carnival Dream
Carnival Fascination
Carnival Inspiration
Carnival Sensation
Carnival Triumph
Carnival Valor

Carnival Ecstasy
Carnival Freedom
Carnival Legend
Carnival Miracle
Carnival Spirit
Carnival Victory

Old January 12th, 2014, 05:58 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default New Pricing List for Pre-Paid Events...

Carnival recently released an updated price list for pre-paid events. The first things I noticed were the higher prices and the removal of dry snack as an option. I am not concerned about the dry snacks as they have been stale on the last few cruises, but the prices are at least 40% higher. It also looks like you must select 3 of the specialty cocktails to be served if you pick the Premium or Standard option.

Party Price List from June 2011

New price list called Carnival Entertains from November 2013

If you select the cheapest option called "Good Morning", you get Mimosas, Bloody Marys and an assortment of house wines for $14.00 per person for 1 hour. When you add in 15% gratuity and PayPal fees, you are paying $16.89 per person, or about $34 for a couple.

Under the old pricing structure you could have a one hour "Open Bar with Dry Snacks" for $9.95 per person. After adding in gratuities and a PayPal fee, it would cost you $12.09 per person, or $23.87 for a couple. The prices were generally rounded to $12.00 and $24.00 since the organizer made a few cents from each couple that paid due to one component of PayPal's fee being fixed at 30 cents per transaction.

Wonder how this is going to affect future Meet & Greet gatherings. Personally I have found that pre-paid events tend to be more fun, but they exclude those who don't drink. I also find myself drinking too much as I am trying to get my money's worth.

Our Cruise History:
To save space I've moved older stuff to My Ticker Page.

Carnival Breeze - Oct 25, 2012 27-Day Mediterranean & Transatlantic Cruise (B2B) - Funville thread
Carnival Splendor Feb 3, 2013 - 48-Day cruise around South America LA to NYC (B2B2B) Funville thread
Carnival Legend - Sep 1, 2013 - 39-Day No. Europe, British Isles and No. Route TA (B2B2B) Helpful Roll Call Info - Funville
Carnival Liberty - Mar 1, 2014 - 7-Day Eastern Caribbean Roll Call Website
Carnival Splendor - Nov 1, 2014 - 8-Day Southern Caribbean My Unofficial Roll Call Website

Carnival Triumph - Feb 2, 2015 - 33 days in the Carib
-
Roll Call Spreadsheet Legs1&2 Leg3 - Website Legs1&2 Leg3

Carnival Legend - Sep 15, 2105 - 10-Day Vancouver to Hawaii Roll Call Spreadsheet Roll Call Website

Old January 12th, 2014, 06:05 AM
5,000+ Club

Here is a link to another thread where it was discussed in great length and how many people felt about it. Goes into detail.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1937774

Last edited by ready2cruzagain; January 12th, 2014 at 06:07 AM.

Old January 12th, 2014, 06:11 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2cruzagain View Post
Here is a link to another thread where it was discussed in great length and how many people felt about it. Goes into detail.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1937774

Thanks! I did a search for one, but must have picked the wrong key words.

Our Cruise History:

Carnival Breeze - Oct 25, 2012 27-Day Mediterranean & Transatlantic Cruise (B2B) - Funville thread
Carnival Splendor Feb 3, 2013 - 48-Day cruise around South America LA to NYC (B2B2B) Funville thread
Carnival Legend - Sep 1, 2013 - 39-Day No. Europe, British Isles and No. Route TA (B2B2B) Helpful Roll Call Info - Funville
Carnival Splendor - Nov 1, 2014 - 8-Day Southern Caribbean My Unofficial Roll Call Website

-

Carnival Legend - Sep 15, 2105 - 10-Day Vancouver to Hawaii Roll Call Spreadsheet Roll Call Website

Old January 12th, 2014, 06:18 AM
Cool Cruiser

We have an old style one coming up next month and than think no more private cocktail parties in our future.

Old January 12th, 2014, 07:15 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfadj View Post
We have an old style one coming up next month and than think no more private cocktail parties in our future.
By "old style" do you mean a closed bar (pay-as-you-drink) event? I was wondering if those were still available.

Our Cruise History:

-

Old January 12th, 2014, 07:49 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWGrayson View Post
By "old style" do you mean a closed bar (pay-as-you-drink) event? I was wondering if those were still available.
No the one hour drink as much as you want for 10 bucks or so.

Old January 12th, 2014, 09:44 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

We had a 2 hour open bar on our cruise in October. That did seem a little long but the price was very reasonable. On our cruise next month, we are able to go with the old pricing structure for 1.5 hour open bar since someone had contacted a rep prior to the change and was given those prices.

It sounds like they are trying to discourage people to have these get-togethers, IMO. With these prices, I think it would be better just to pay as you drink.
Carnival Victory - Feb. 2012 / San Juan/Southern itinerary/http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1589749&highlight=victory+review
Carnival Glory - July 2012 / Boston to St. John NB and Halifax /http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1682163&highlight=glory+review
Carnival Freedom - Oct 2012 / KW, Ocho Rios and GC/http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1732759&highlight=freedom+review+10+28+12
Carnival Liberty - Feb 2013 / Belize / GC/Cozumel/ Roatan /http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1799892&highlight=liberty+review+2013
Carnival Pride - Oct 2013 / PC, Nassau and Freeport /http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1938776&highlight=carnival+pride+review+2013
Carnival Freedom - Feb 2014/St. Thomas, Antigua, Tortola, Nassau /http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2002640&highlight=freedom+st+thomas+antigua+tortola
Carnival Fantasy - July 2014 / Nassau and Freeport / http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2078622
Carnival Conquest - October 2014 / coming up!

Old January 12th, 2014, 09:59 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by funinthesun1964 View Post
We had a 2 hour open bar on our cruise in October. That did seem a little long but the price was very reasonable. On our cruise next month, we are able to go with the old pricing structure for 1.5 hour open bar since someone had contacted a rep prior to the change and was given those prices.

It sounds like they are trying to discourage people to have these get-togethers, IMO. With these prices, I think it would be better just to pay as you drink.
It was an awesome deal before now think we would do better as pay as we drink.

Old January 12th, 2014, 10:49 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfadj View Post
It was an awesome deal before now think we would do better as pay as we drink.
I am a cheap drunk, so I felt that way with the old system. Three of their small drinks and I was out of it! It also bothered me to have a M&G that excludes Roll Call members because they don't drink, or don't want to (or can't) pay the money. So, I prefer a cash bar.

I read through the Nov posts and a lot of opinions were expressed. Many people thought Carnival lost money on the old system, but we don't know what Carnival pays for booze. I suspect they get great deals and were not having a problem with how much some drank.

The new price list that they call "Carnival Entertains" is a lot more than just a Party Price List. They have turned it into a professional service with many more options and proper competitive prices. It is just a shock to see it so unexpectedly.

Our Cruise History:

-

Old January 12th, 2014, 10:53 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWGrayson View Post
I am a cheap drunk, so I felt that way with the old system. Three of their small drinks and I was out of it! It also bothered me to have a M&G that excludes Roll Call members because they don't drink, or don't want to (or can't) pay the money. So, I prefer a cash bar.

I read through the Nov posts and a lot of opinions were expressed. Many people thought Carnival lost money on the old system, but we don't know what Carnival pays for booze. I suspect they get great deals and were not having a problem with how much some drank.

The new price list that they call "Carnival Entertains" is a lot more than just a Party Price List. They have turned it into a professional service with many more options and proper competitive prices. It is just a shock to see it so unexpectedly.
I would guess they were not making any more probably losing something so they decided to turn this into a profitable area.

To me I think this will be the end of the cocktail parties we have been going to. Time will tell though