Airfare question?

cruisin_fanatic

Hopefully this can be posted on this thread, but I am curious if anyone knows of any reasonable sites etc that I can check for reasonable airfare rates. If needed you can email the info to afranklin1 at yahoo dot com. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to get booked for our April sailing.

Thanks in advance.

Hopefully this can be posted on this thread, but I am curious if anyone knows of any reasonable sites etc that I can check for reasonable airfare rates. If needed you can email the info to afranklin1 at yahoo dot com. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to get booked for our April sailing.

Thanks in advance.

This will probably get moved to the cruse air forum http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=128

http://www.kayak.com is a good place to start.

I've always had the best luck booking directly through the airline's site. I always check the online discount sites, but I always get a better deal when booking through the airline. THe discount sites don't include all the taxes and such, so it may appear you're getting a better deal when you're really not.

Thanks in advance.

Add Sidestep to your list of sites as well. It searches multiple travel sites including the airlines' and lets you narrow the seach by flight times etc.

Whichever of these sites you use, be sure to go to the airline's website to check the fare. Sites like Expedia charge a fee on plane tickets and booking through the airline direct, saves you this money.

You should know who are the big carriers in your home airport(s) and be able to compare them against each other.

Some of us are lucky and have decent competition on a lot of carriers, some are not so lucky and have a choice of a few.

Definitely don't discount Southwest, JetBlue, Airtran, Spirit, Midwest...all of these airlines are sound financially and you shouldn't have to worry about coming back and hoping your airline is still operating.

I personally use sidestep to get mass fares from a bunch of local airports...I never book through them though, I always book with the airline.

Helps out in the future if you have any issues or need to make changes.

Just do a Google search on "Cheap Airfare" and you'll get a lot of sites that will do a search for you. Once I narrow down the carriers, flights, times, and prices I do like many of the others have said and book directly with the airline website. I always get the same low price, but that way my reservations are directly through the airline and I'll get flight change updates directly from them.

One thing to note when you do a search, is that some of the cheap fares have a limited number of seats and they might not last very long. My first choice in cheap fares, Northwest, disappeared after a couple of days. I then found some good fares and times with Delta and went to their site and made the reservations.

Some say cheaper seats sometimes open up the closer you get to your departure date but I find that a bit too risky to try. The tickets I got back on 12-20-06 for this coming July have only gone up in price so far, and that was also my experience last year when we booked our flights pretty far out.

If you are using a larger airport than what we have here in Lexington then you probably have a better chance at getting cheaper tickets.

Good Luck!

John

Archived