Confused about Roatan Port. Please help!

cindychaley

I am trying to book an excursion. On my cruise itinerary the port says Mahogany Bay, Isla Roatan. Some of the excursions I am looking at (not through carnival) were listed under Mahogany Bay but the port says "Roatan Honduras". Are these 2 ports the same?

I am trying to book an excursion. On my cruise itinerary the port says Mahogany Bay, Isla Roatan. Some of the excursions I am looking at (not through carnival) were listed under Mahogany Bay but the port says "Roatan Honduras". Are these 2 ports the same?

Yes, though there are 2 docks depending on your cruise line.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Honduras is the country, Roatan is the island, Mahogany Bay is one of 2 ports on Roatan. The other port is Coxen Hole. If you are on a Carnival, HAL, or Princess ship or any ship from a line owned by Carnival, you will dock at Mahogany Bay. If your itinerary says Mahogany Bay, that's where the ship will dock and any ship sponsored excursion will originate. If you are on NCL, RCCL, Celebrity, et.al., ship you will dock at Coxen Hole. If you are on one of their ship's excursions, the excursion will originate at Coxen Hole. You don't need to worry about getting to the other port.

When you sign up for a private excursion, you will be asked which ship you are on. Vendors will then know which port you will dock at and will meet you at that port. Thy will give you instructions on where to find them.

Distance from Ship to Tours.

At Mahogany Bay - can anyone tell me how far of a walk it is from the ship to the point where one would get picked up for non-ship excursions. I have seen a photo of up a hill - thru a gate and down a hill. Hubby has trouble walking long distances. Is it a long walk - equal to three of four blocks - is the anywhere to sit for a few moments while your on the way?

In Cozumel ((I think it was Cozumel) there are men with bike-rickshaw type vehicles who drive one to the end of the dock for a tip. Might they have anything like that in Mahogany Bay???

Meant to make this a new thread - sorry if its a problem - I don't know how to undo.

Any answers would be much appreciated.

Edited by SS Exeter
posted in wrong place

No they don't have pier rickshaws in Mahogany Bay. short pier. But long walk to entrance of shopping plaza all up hill. From there it's close to a 1/4 mile "over the hill" to meet private vendor excursions. However, there is a cab stand at the main entrance to the shopping area. You can hire a taxi for a nominal cost (under $5, I've heard $2 but never used them). That taxi will drive you over the hill. Getting up to the shopping entrance from the dufry store that you have to go through to get off the pier will be the toughest walk. But there are benches along the way and walls to lean on for assistance.

No they don't have pier rickshaws in Mahogany Bay. short pier. But long walk to entrance of shopping plaza all up hill. From there it's close to a 1/4 mile "over the hill" to meet private vendor excursions. However, there is a cab stand at the main entrance to the shopping area. You can hire a taxi for a nominal cost (under $5, I've heard $2 but never used them). That taxi will drive you over the hill. Getting up to the shopping entrance from the dufry store that you have to go through to get off the pier will be the toughest walk. But there are benches along the way and walls to lean on for assistance.

Thanks so much Crewsweeper - you have given us enough options that I think it will be very doable. I really want to get to Daniel Johnson's to see a sloth.:D

I do love me some visual aids. :0)

Guest 2000 - Oh My - Thank you so very much - you are so right - seeing is understanding. My husband would hate me if I tried get get him to walk even half way. Seeing this really gave me a better understanding.

Will have to see if there is someway to get him and the electric scooter to see the sloths.

Can't tell you how much I appreciate this. You may have saved a marriage!:cool:

Guest 2000 - Oh My - Thank you so very much - you are so right - seeing is understanding. My husband would hate me if I tried get get him to walk even half way. Seeing this really gave me a better understanding.

Will have to see if there is someway to get him and the electric scooter to see the sloths.

Can't tell you how much I appreciate this. You may have saved a marriage!:cool:

You are most welcome, enjoy your holiday!