Ship Excursions vs Touring on your own in Italy

BajanFab

I am torn between taking the ship excursions, which some are rather expensive and touring on my own in Italy. I am saying this because of my first time cruising the Mediterranean, travel times between port and cities (Rome and Florence) and for the simple fact of being left by the ship. I am in the process of planning my cruise excursions, so I could use some sound advice to calm my fears, so I can make good decisions and save some money too :). Thanks in Advance

Cruising with 11 people August 14 on Royal Caribbean Harmony of the Seas

There are many discussions here on using private tours, and MANY recommended vendors. Not a single one of those many discussions mentions anyone actually missing their ship. Not saying it hasn't happened...just it would be incredibly unlikely.

Also understand these many recommended vendors stake their business reputations on NOT causing their customers to miss their ship. One miss, and there is a good chance a vendor would be sunk. Many vendors guarantee they will help you catch up with your ship, should there be an unfortunate outcome.

We do a mixture- private tours, ship's excursions and DIY. We have never come event close to missing a ship, in 18 cruises and over 200 days on cruise ships.

With 11 people, private tours can be a very good idea. However, it would also be my suggestion not to try and get all 11 to do the same excursion or activity every time.

Edited by CruiserBruce

With a group that large a private excursion makes a lot of sense, especially for Florence (Livorno) and Rome (Civitavecchia).

If Naples is one of your ports, depending on what you want to do DIY may be a good alternative (for example, Capri, which is absurdly easy to do yourself).

With that number of people you need to go to the local tour operator and negotiate a discounted price. There is plenty of info on these boards and on Tripadvisor.

It us extremely unlikely you would miss the ship. That is hype given out by the cruise lines so you buy their over priced excursions.

There are many discussions here on using private tours, and MANY recommended vendors. Not a single one of those many discussions mentions anyone actually missing their ship. Not saying it hasn't happened...just it would be incredibly unlikely.

Also understand these many recommended vendors stake their business reputations on NOT causing their customers to miss their ship. One miss, and there is a good chance a vendor would be sunk. Many vendors guarantee they will help you catch up with your ship, should there be an unfortunate outcome.

We do a mixture- private tours, ship's excursions and DIY. We have never come event close to missing a ship, in 18 cruises and over 200 days on cruise ships.

With 11 people, private tours can be a very good idea. However, it would also be my suggestion not to try and get all 11 to do the same excursion or activity every time.

Totally agree!!! Do not be afraid to book private tours or DIY!

Edited by b_cruise