Tahiti Fever!

Yep. I've got a bad case of Tahiti Fever. Barely 3 months back from a 14 day Marquesas trip on the PG and we just booked yet ANOTHER PG trip! :o

Anyone else going on the 9/08 14 day, Cooks/Australs trip with Jean Michael Cousteau?

My hubby and I have no will power. No will power at all. It's just so much fun we can't resist! ;)

I've got it, too, poolechick. Nice itinerary - we are looking at that cruise for 2008. We're pretty determined to go next year before Regent hands the ship over to Grand Circle. They've announced they are taking it out of Tahiti so its days are numbered.

One of the symptoms I exhibit of Tahiti Fever is checking Crusiecritic and tripadvisor a couple of times a week to read trip reports:p

We too have the Polynesian flu. It's a very serious condition! We've done the PG 7-day 4 times, and I'm thinking of booking the 14-day Marquesas trip next December, 2008.

So, please tell me all about it.

We started in 2000, then 2003, then 2005, and now probably 2008!!

Can't go in September, your trip sounds amazing! The first time we did the 7-day trip, we said, "next time we'll do the Marquesas!". Now I think we'll do it, albeit 18 months from now.

I am glad I am not the only person with terminal PG addiction, flu goes away, this stuff stays with you all the time. It took all my willpower not to book a PG trip while on the Mariner. Our schedules are so fluid I didn't think I could commit to a specific date.

Is the end of the PG in French Polynesia definite?

I saw someone say elsewhere that they were still sorking on a deal with Regent.

Mikenbob are posting live from the PG (May 19-June 3 voyage) and have said that they had dinner with some of the officers. Word was that Regent is trying to extend PG contract through 2010. They said it looks good for contract renewal, but will try to find out more info. One never knows....but it seems to be a possibility at least for now.

We are booked on the 6/30/07 Marquesas cruise. It is our first time on Regent as we were on the TP last year. We got bitten absolutely.

I do not believe the termination is definite yet.

We originally booked the 2005 trip because the PG was going to be moved, and then it wasn't. If I were a betting person, I would say that it will stay, since Regent does not have the option of a new build right now.

Sailed on the PG in 2005.....now going this Dec 1 for a longer cruise.

If possible might try the Sept 2008 if not in the middle of relocating to Citrus County in Florida. Also would like to get scuba certified before then....snorkling in some of the worlds great dive spots seems a shame.

If the PG leaves Tahiti, I guess the Star Flyer is next choice.....not the Princess ship.

Maybe for Christmas Mr Conroy will build a new ship for us, or put a dive platform off the rear end of the Navigator.

That's great news about Regent extending the contract! When we enquired onboard in April, the feedback we got was that 2008 was it. My TA echoed the same thing and a online news search turned up Grand Circle's statement about taking the ship out of FP...so it's good to know there is hope.

So we haven't even been back a week and I just signed up for another PG trip!

Am I crazy, or what?

But as I told my husband "This is why we work every gosh darn day!"

Caroline

Hahaa! Apparently I'm not the only one with the disease!

Since our March Mariner cruise we've toyed with the idea of a PG cruise but kind of balk at the thought of $20k for a two week vacation (even though it is a small fraction of a per cent of our net worth.... all earned the hard way). I guess for a 51 year old guy, I'm rather old fashioned and $20k still seems like a lot of money for a vacation. Is a PG trip worth it? Might there be another vacation that offers a bit more bang for the buck?

PS - I say 20k because I'm too big (6'4" 290lbs) to go coach for that long of a flight and we were spoiled rotten by a free upgrade from an E to a Penthouse C on the Mariner :D

Ragnar, yes the cabins are a bit smaller on the PG, but still generous by mass-market standards. The basic 'C' balcony cabin is the same size as the smallest E,F,G cabins. I.e., all you're getting extra is a balcony, which does not help much if you're a "big guy". The business class air I can certainly appreciate, but really the extra freight for a balcony may not be worth it, unless you are thinking of at least a 'B' bacony cabin.

At least you don't have to go all the way across the continent first, before flying across the pond!

For me, FP delivers very high 'bang for the buck'.

To save $$$$, I book coach air on Air Tahiti and then upgrade when checking in. (out of LA)

Last time is was 600 one way upgrade, now I hear its 700. If you try this make sure you re at the check in when they open to get what is available. This is alot of money but less than booking Business class up front.

If the PG leaves Tahiti, I guess the Star Flyer is next choice.....not the Princess ship.

Folks - I did the Princess ship last year and it was my fave cruise ever.

Very professional/service and food great. But then how can a Tahiti cruiswe not be great. I am considering PG next June - anyone familiar with what is next to cabin 314 on the bottom deck ? It shows an empty space on the deck plan and since I will have my kids possibly there I am trying to find out if it is something used by the crew.

Thanks !

Larry

To save $$$$, I book coach air on Air Tahiti and then upgrade when checking in. (out of LA)

Last time is was 600 one way upgrade, now I hear its 700. If you try this make sure you re at the check in when they open to get what is available. This is alot of money but less than booking Business class up front.

Best flight I ever had was upgrading from PPT to JFK last year - 12 hours and I am at 275 lbs !! $700 at check in

Larry

twin123185: Aside from a few passenger cabins and the medical office, deck 3 consists of crew quarters. This doesn't mean, however, that you'll have crew passing back and forth outside your cabin door at all hours. They have their own "crew only" internal stairways and passageways to move throughout the ship.

Thanks -

As far as booking business class up front - from the east coast $4100 through regent - thats $2300 r/t extra !! Vs $1400 doing it yourself - I am gard pressed to do that - get to the airport as early as possible !

Larry

According to my TA, booking Business from LAX-PPT via Regent is not even always assured, since there are limited seats and sometimes block bookings. I have endured coach 3 times now, so could probably do it again, but I will try to book business, if I'm feeling flush when the decision gets made.

We've done Regent several times for hotels. Not sure how they compare right now, I will find out since we're booking another trip for December 2008.

In 2003, I did our own, and went for a smaller place, Royal Tahitien. It was not as glamorous as some of the bigger hotels, but the bar and restaurant were great, right by the water, and very laid back.

We will probably opt for the Regent package at the Radisson hotel, since if we do that, it includes transfers. It's a nice hotel, I like it quite a lot, and transfers add up.

Archived