Royal Caribbean hooked me up

traderneal

Just a quick note on how RC hooked me up nicely.

I am leaving on the Liberty out of FLL on 1/12 and was booked in a Deluxe Ocean View with a balcony. For the two of us we were paying $1600 (including all fees, port charges, insurance, etc) with a $50 on board credit.

I noticed the price dropped by a couple of hundred dollars and now offered a $100 on board credit, so I called and see if I could get a price match.

Because I had already paid in full for the cruise they couldn't adjust the price nor the on board credit, however they gave me a nice upgrade.

For a grand total of an additional $45, they upgraded me to a Superior Ocean View Stateroom with a balcony AND gave me a $200 on board credit. We also went from deck 7 to deck 10.

Not bad for 10 minutes on the phone.

I am greatly appreciative.

So, if you are booked on a RC cruise leaving soon, be sure to fare compare.

I really do not understand RCI at times (most times).

It's great that people are able to take advantage of the upgrades after final payment but I don't understand RCI's logic in giving out the OBC from the current promo in addition to the cabin upgrade.

Over the past year or so RCI has eliminated so many small benefits,

- Reduction of OBC for booking on board

- $25 reduction of C&A balcony discount if changing your booking within the last 6 months

- Re pricing cruises if you have moved up a level in C&A and were looking for an increased balcony discount.

It just boggles my mind why they have been so relentless in the reduction of benefits that relatively few took advantage of and in doing so pi**ed off many of their loyal cruisers only to start tossing money away to all when no one really expected to get the additional OBC when looking to upgrade.

Can someone please tell me how the price drop works.

If I book through a TA and the price drops - is it the reduced price the TA is advertising that counts or do you have to compare the price with what RCI are advertising on their website?

Also if the price you paid includes a drink package and tips does the price reduction have to include these items as well?

Do you have to go back to the TA to try and get a better deal or do you call RCI direct?

Can you do this anytime before your cruise?

Thanks for any advice.

Can someone please tell me how the price drop works.

If I book through a TA and the price drops - is it the reduced price the TA is advertising that counts or do you have to compare the price with what RCI are advertising on their website?

Also if the price you paid includes a drink package and tips does the price reduction have to include these items as well?

Do you have to go back to the TA to try and get a better deal or do you call RCI direct?

Can you do this anytime before your cruise?

Thanks for any advice.

If you book with a US travel agent, then you can get price drops up to final payment date. I don't know what the rules are for European bookings.

We would compare the price we paid to the price on Royal's website. We would have to contact the travel agent for any price change. Regarding the tips and drink package, if that was provided by the travel agent, then it's up to the travel agent if those perks would still be offered.

...It just boggles my mind why they have been so relentless in the reduction of benefits that relatively few took advantage of and in doing so pi**ed off many of their loyal cruisers...

It's hard to believe that the very annoying things that they have done lately to relatively few people have any appreciable effect on their bottom line. I believe they want to p*** these people off, so they go elsewhere.

I really do not understand RCI at times (most times).

It's great that people are able to take advantage of the upgrades after final payment but I don't understand RCI's logic in giving out the OBC from the current promo in addition to the cabin upgrade.

Over the past year or so RCI has eliminated so many small benefits,

- Reduction of OBC for booking on board

- $25 reduction of C&A balcony discount if changing your booking within the last 6 months

- Re pricing cruises if you have moved up a level in C&A and were looking for an increased balcony discount.

It just boggles my mind why they have been so relentless in the reduction of benefits that relatively few took advantage of and in doing so pi**ed off many of their loyal cruisers only to start tossing money away to all when no one really expected to get the additional OBC when looking to upgrade.

I totally agree.

This awarding of obc after final payment has passed makes no sense whatsoever.

It's hard to believe that the very annoying things that they have done lately to relatively few people have any appreciable effect on their bottom line. I believe they want to p*** these people off, so they go elsewhere.

Very possible. I know it's annoying me.

Seems weird that they wouldn't want my money for a party of 5 in exchange for 2-3 free drinks in the evening but whatever.

Very possible. I know it's annoying me.

Seems weird that they wouldn't want my money for a party of 5 in exchange for 2-3 free drinks in the evening but whatever.

I don't think they think those things through. They've got some bean counter who is thinking 1 inch in front of his face, and not looking at the long term effect of how many other cruisers we are bringing to Royal.

I think I have been reading that they have been re-pricing reservations that are within final payment and have been giving them OBC without an upgrade involved.

Amazing!!!:rolleyes:

I agree, but haven't those been upgrades? In other words, are they letting people upgrade after final (which is not new), but also throwing in whatever OBC deal is in effect now?

I agree, but haven't those been upgrades? In other words, are they letting people upgrade after final (which is not new), but also throwing in whatever OBC deal is in effect now?

Yes that is what they did for the OP (OP we ARE happy for you)

Maybe I am wrong, but I though I had read that others had gotten re-priced WITHOUT an upgrade and still got OBC after final payment.

Maybe I am wrong, but I though I had read that others had gotten re-priced WITHOUT an upgrade and still got OBC after final payment.

Just called my mom who is calling her TA to check into that for her Serenade cruise in January. She can upgrade to an Oceanview guarantee from an inside for about $50 and get the $100 OBC however she would be happy staying in her inside for the same price and getting the OBC. Either way she will be happy.

Yeah OP don't take it personally.

I seem to remember the same thing. It was a person cruising in December so had to be after final already.

Congrats OP

It also baffles me that RCL is giving the OBC to those upgrading after final payment. Great for those getting it though!!

Its what they should do! OBC or re-price, whatever the customer chooses would be the best way to go!!

I know they don't have to, that's why I said they should!:)

Edited by American Bear

Doesn't baffle me!

Its what they should do!

I know they don't have to, that's why I said they should!:)

Baffles me when I wanted to upgrade my cabin last cruise, and pay a few hundred dollars more, 3 days before sailing, so leftover cabins, and they gave me a hard time.

I had to insist on talking to someone else in order to give them more money. Makes no sense.

Baffles me when I wanted to upgrade my cabin last cruise, and pay a few hundred dollars more, 3 days before sailing, so leftover cabins, and they gave me a hard time.

I had to insist on talking to someone else in order to give them more money. Makes no sense.

That's just RCI's Really Consistently Inconsistent training of its service staff.:eek: