San Diego for a first Timer...

josephml1

Hello everyone!!!!:)

I need your help!

I am going to be in San Diego for my first time in May and I need some advices about what to do, where to go, where to stay, any good restaurants and everything you would like to share about San Diego...

Thank you for your help.:):):)

My favorite place in the world (and I have traveled alot!) is Coronado Island just off of San Diego, there is a ferry that leaves from downtown San Diego or you can drive across the Coronado bridge if you have a car. The town is beautiful and the Hotel Del Coronado has some fantastic history to it. I personally stay at the Lowes which is further south past the navy base. My favorite restaurant on the island is Miguel's Cocina, they have fantastic margaritas!!

Hope this gives you a nice way to spend a day (or two...)

Use the advanced search feature on this forum and put in "San Diego" as your search term and you will find tons of previous posts about what to do here.

How long will you be here?

What interests you?

Do you plan to rent a car?

How many in your party, and what ages?

:)

Use the advanced search feature on this forum and put in "San Diego" as your search term and you will find tons of previous posts about what to do here.

How long will you be here? 5 Days.

What interests you? Most do in San Diego

Do you plan to rent a car? Yes.

How many in your party, and what ages?

2 (couple 27 years old)

I am open to sugestions

Thank you very much.:)

I would recommend staying in Mission Valley if you have a car. Less expensive than downtown or the Marina, and many places have free parking. You can take the San Diego Trolley from there to Old Town (difficult to find parking) and the Gaslamp (expensive and difficult to find parking), which is the best place for clubs, etc.

Take in a baseball game at Petco Park if you like baseball (also via the Trolley).

Drive the 59 mile San Diego scenic drive. Plan a whole day for this if you want to stop and see all the sights you just drive by. Be sure to go to Cabrillo Monument to see the view and watch the hang-gliders at Torrey Pines.

Plan a day for the Zoo and Balboa Park. Both the gardens and many museums have something to offer for everyone.

Rent a bike and ride around Mission Bay park. Be sure to visit the park south of the Hilton to see the spectacular kites flown there. Ride the old roller coaster on Mission Blvd. (the last wooden coaster on the west coast).

Watch surfers at the OB (Ocean Beach pier). Some funky shops and places to eat here too.

Go to the Wild Animal Park too (you can get a ticket package for both that and the Zoo) which is about 40 miles north.

Tour the Midway aircraft carrier.

Eat fish tacos at Rubio's.

It is a little cool in May for swimming at the beach. Kayaking at the La Jolla Caves would be a great alternative. Torrey Pines State Beach and Black Beach is a great place to walk. You can often see dolphin along here (wrong time of year for whales).

(KLD)

I would recommend staying in Mission Valley if you have a car. Less expensive than downtown or the Marina, and many places have free parking. You can take the San Diego Trolley from there to Old Town (difficult to find parking) and the Gaslamp (expensive and difficult to find parking), which is the best place for clubs, etc.

Take in a baseball game at Petco Park if you like baseball (also via the Trolley).

Drive the 59 mile San Diego scenic drive. Plan a whole day for this if you want to stop and see all the sights you just drive by. Be sure to go to Cabrillo Monument to see the view and watch the hang-gliders at Torrey Pines.

Plan a day for the Zoo and Balboa Park. Both the gardens and many museums have something to offer for everyone.

Rent a bike and ride around Mission Bay park. Be sure to visit the park south of the Hilton to see the spectacular kites flown there. Ride the old roller coaster on Mission Blvd. (the last wooden coaster on the west coast).

Watch surfers at the OB (Ocean Beach pier). Some funky shops and places to eat here too.

Go to the Wild Animal Park too (you can get a ticket package for both that and the Zoo) which is about 40 miles north.

Tour the Midway aircraft carrier.

Eat fish tacos at Rubio's.

It is a little cool in May for swimming at the beach. Kayaking at the La Jolla Caves would be a great alternative. Torrey Pines State Beach and Black Beach is a great place to walk. You can often see dolphin along here (wrong time of year for whales).

(KLD)

Thank you very much for a lot of useful advice, I am taking notes.:)

One more question what do you think about Sea Word?

Thank You.:)

I'm personally not a fan of SeaWorld. If you have seen one, you have seen them all. I also have a problem with all the cutsey things they train animals to do. I prefer animals that are displaying their normal, healthy behaviors in a less commercial atmosphere, but that is just me.

Thank you very much for a lot of useful advice, I am taking notes.:)

One more question what do you think about Sea Word?

Thank You.:)

....and do not forget Hotel Del Coronado......where Some Like It Hot was shot.

.....and near the Midway is the Master and Commander ship, Sailing ship Star of India, a Russian Submarine and the Ferry Berkeley. Also the Stars and Stripes America's Cup boat is there.

IF, and only If, you are spending several days in San Diego and you have kids with you, then I might suggest doing Sea World as it's pretty fun to this adult. BUT as Splinter said, there are Sea World's elsewhere. There is so much that is unique to San Diego that it could take weeks to experience it all, that I would opt for other things over Sea World.

if you spend an afternoon in OB, eat fish tacos & enjoy cold beer at South Beach.

That is what I call Life...Good food with a view.:)

Thank you for mention it.

I really appreciate the help and advice.;)

I agree with Splinter.

Stay in Mission Valley instead of the Gaslamp. Much easier to get in and out of. If you're staying in Mission Valley you can always take the trolly from the Gaslamp home. The Gaslamp is a fun place with lots of bars and restaurants that you would like.

All of his recommendations would be in my top 10.

You can take the ferry from downtown to Coronado. Then rent bikes and bike over to the Hotel Del. Very fun...

What's your price range / interest for restaurants?

I agree with Splinter.

Stay in Mission Valley instead of the Gaslamp. Much easier to get in and out of. If you're staying in Mission Valley you can always take the trolly from the Gaslamp home. The Gaslamp is a fun place with lots of bars and restaurants that you would like.

All of his recommendations would be in my top 10.

You can take the ferry from downtown to Coronado. Then rent bikes and bike over to the Hotel Del. Very fun...

What's your price range / interest for restaurants?

For restaurants I will have romantic dinner... ;) In a fancy restaurant to celebrate a special day.

For the rest of the trip I will be looking for a casual restaurant 20 to 30 dlls per person max. Any advice? Mayble Italian, seafood, steakhouse and chinesse.

Again Thank you for all your recomendations.:)

Romantic (and not cheap):

The Sky Room at the La Valencia Hotel in La Jolla (go before sunset)

The Marine Room in La Jolla

Oceanaire in the Gaslamp Quarter

Pamplemousse Grill in Del Mar

Rainwater's on Kettner (great steakhouse, better than Morton's or Ruth Chris)

Italian:

Just about any place in Little Italy

Seafood (all with good views):

Anthony's on Harbor Drive (expect a wait, no reservations)

Fish Market off Harbor Drive

Other:

Gaslamp Strip Club (steak)

Lots of Chinese places on Convoy Street in Kearny Mesa, but it is not a strength here. You are more likely to find good Vietnamese or Thai in San Diego as we have large ethnic populations from both those countries.

I forgot to also recommend the following for romantic:

Bertrand at Mr. A's (view of Balboa Park)

The Prado (in Balboa Park, esp. nice in the summer when you can sit outside)

Laurel

Thank you very much Laurel... I have my note book and also a map and I am taking notes;)

Thank You very much:)

You might check this company; they were the only ones I could find when I needed a shuttle from TIJ back to my home in San Diego. (but it wasn't cheap)

taxisairport.com/eng/index.htm

The other option would be to take a taxi to the border, cross & get another taxi to teh TIJ airport... or take a taxi ot the trolley, trolley to border, cross on foot then taxi to TIJ.

Why? Just wondering why you would want to go to Tijuana? Are'nt you going on a Mexican Riviera cruise after your stay in San Diego? I avoid going to Tijuana if I can avoid it.

You cannot take a rental car over the border.

The easiest way to go is to take the San Diego Trolley from downtown to the border, then catch a cab after walking across the border. Be sure to negotiate the fare and don't get ripped off. You can take a bus from the airport to the closest SD Trolley station (probably Civic Center) and then change trains to the Orange line to get to Tijuana.

Check out the route here: http://www.sdcommute.com

Archived