Pikes place Market

Aosborn

What is Pikes Place Market and how much time do you need to see this?

Two full eight hour days would be good if you want to see all of the Market. It is about six levels, with all kinds of shops, restaurants and various other vendors. The main level could be seen in a few hours if you do both sides of the street.

More information here:

http://www.pikeplacemarket.org

There is also the University Street Fair going on this weekend if you like local artist items, lots of food and music. It is about a 30 minute bus ride from downtown Seattle. It is located near the University of Washington, if you are interested I can give you bus information.

what are some of the highlights...we will be there in Sept. I dont want to spend a full day but am interested in some of the most interesting parts...anyone have any suggestions?

Certainly you have to visit the Pike Place Fish Market to watch them flinging salmon. Can't miss that. Walk around the main level to see all of the flowers and fresh produce, not to mention the fresh baked goods. There is a kite shop on one of the lower levels that is pretty interesting (hand made silks and such). There is an ice cream shop in the annex across the street. Have some for lunch (and I mean your whole lunch), or maybe one or two piroshki from Piroshki, Piroshki to go with it.

For all end of May Cruisers out of Seattle

Pike Place Market Street Festival

Saturday, May 31 and Sunday, June 1, 2008

Please join us for the 2008 Pike Place Market Street Festival: Local Artisans, Live Music, Chef Demos, Kids Zone & more! For more information, including sponsorship, vendor and volunteer details, please visit www.pikeplacemarketstreetfestival.com.

poster-sm.jpg

http://www.pikeplacemarketstreetfestival.com/index.html

Thanks for the heads up on the street festival. I'll be disembarking the Oosterdam on the morning of the 31st and staying until June 2nd. I was planning on exploring the market so it's exciting that there will be even more to see.

This is a bit off topic but can anyone tell me how far a walk it is from the Renaissance on Madison to the market? Thanks!

Thanks for the heads up on the street festival. I'll be disembarking the Oosterdam on the morning of the 31st and staying until June 2nd. I was planning on exploring the market so it's exciting that there will be even more to see.

This is a bit off topic but can anyone tell me how far a walk it is from the Renaissance on Madison to the market? Thanks!

Five blocks west to 1st Av and about 4-5 blocks north to Pike St.

I will defer to others on that one, as I've never had the dish at the market. I much prefer Ivars for fish and chips, down on the waterfront.

I've heard some people mention Jack's for fish & chips in the market but I didn't think it was all that great. I agree with Karen that Ivar's is the place to go.

Someone had mentioned that there was a good place for fish and chips at the market, is that true?

Yeah, about 20 of them! :D You will NOT be hurting for choices for good food at the Market! Just follow your nose and you'll discover something yummy. :rolleyes:

Another thing that's popular at the Market is the original Starbucks store ... they sell mugs and whatnot with a specially designed logo that you can't get at any other Starbucks anywhere ... so if you're a fan, you'll want to go there. It's outside the main level, across the alleyway in the strip of stores there.

Oh, and many of the fishmongers will pack fresh fish on ice for you (up to 48 hours, I think) or you can have it shipped home to you ... so no need for unrequited drooling. :rolleyes:

the walk isn't bad going...a little longish, but, IIRC..the walk BACK is UPHILL!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

Archived