AMA August

Karen Lynn

My husband and I cruised with AMA this past June on the Danube. There were more problems than we expected because of the flooding. We felt the cruise company handled the problems as well as we could have expected. While the cruise did not go as planned,the CD, Ornulf, worked tirelessly, was on top of all the information and gave us the best cruise we could have asked for under the circumstances. We were always kept up to date and we enjoyed our "alternative" itinerary.

We were on the Rhine at the start of the flooding problems. Agree that AMA handled the situation as best as possible, considering they (and the other river cruise lines) were making it up as they went along. They substituted ports and tours, and got us where we needed to go at the end of the cruise. If you read some of the posts about the various river cruise lines during that period, I think you'll see that AMA floats to the top in terms of customer satisfaction.

We have had two wonderful cruises with AMA. In 2011 we had very low water conditions. While other boats turned their trips into bus tours, AMA was able to continue with our itinerary as planned. Very impressed with staff and crew on both trips and have two more booked with them.

We are nearing the end of our first AMA cruise. We have completed the ship portion (Amsterdam to Basel) and are now in Luzern on the extension. Nearly everything has been perfect.

I have deleted all the other river cruise brochures on my computer. We are AMA loyalists now.

Jazzbeau, hope you will report further on your trip when you get back. We are leaving on the same itin. Oct 17th, in reverse - with the Luzerne & Zurich extension first. Will be on AMALyra. Will be our first river Cruise as well. Would love to hear your impressions.

Thanks,

Barb (& Wayne)

We are nearing the end of our first AMA cruise. We have completed the ship portion (Amsterdam to Basel) and are now in Luzern on the extension. Nearly everything has been perfect.

Glad to hear it went so well. (but not surprised)

FYI - a friend just returned from a Rhone cruise on Avalon. They enjoyed it but were a bit disappointed with the food (granted, mostly a case of expectations - it was their first river cruise and they cruise extensively on Celebrity). It was a gay charter and they were talking with the organizers. The leaders said that they had previously worked with AMA, and given their experiences on that cruise, they had decided to return to them. (Again - no major shortcomings with Avalon, just that the AMA experience was preferable)

I have deleted all the other river cruise brochures on my computer. We are AMA loyalists now.

jazzbeau, so pleased to read that you are having a great trip!

We feel the same way about AMA and no longer look at other lines (though A-Rosa is on the radar perhaps for a future cruise). We had taken 4 river cruises before our first AMA cruise and were totally won over by all aspects of our AMA experience.

We had traveled with my mom and my BFF on a river cruise and they enjoyed many aspects of the trip. It was their first river cruise. The next year we all sailed on AMA on one of their wine cruises. Mom told us she threw out all the other brochures when we got back, as she felt AMA was so much better than her previous river cruise experience. And my BFF and her DH are taking our 11/14 AMA cruise with us, along with other friends who have also cruised with us on AMA and loved it.

Welcome to the club.:)

Archived