Using Royal Caribbean as your own personal shipper

This thought just occurred to me (and don't worry, I'm not planning on doing it--just wondering if it can be done):

According to Royal Caribbean's contract of carriage, each passenger can bring up to 200 lbs. of luggage. That's a lot! My family of five can probably fit all of our luggage into two large suitcases, each weighing 50 lbs. (which we could then check as airline baggage without an extra fee. But that would mean we would have a grand total of 900 lbs. of extra luggage that we could bring.

Say we are cruising from Florida to the Caribbean. And say certain products are a lot cheaper to buy in the U.S. than in on Caribbean islands (whether they be toiletries, electronics, you name it).

Is there anything stopping us from (and again, this is not something I'd ever do--just curious if it is doable!)--but is there anything stopping us from getting off the ship in a Caribbean port and taking nine 100 lb. suitcases off with us and then selling the goods to somebody on that island (presumably for a profit!)??

I don't see anything in the Royal Caribbean contract addressing/preventing this. Perhaps there are customs issues we'd run into. Just curious. Your thoughts? If it's doable, it could turn cruising into a money-making opportunity!

Customs would be the big thing. Also, if you have to tender in, other guests wouldn't be pleased with the giant suitcases :)

However, I met a couple last year who were moving from the US to Europe, and they found it was easier/cheaper/more enjoyable to take a transatlantic with all their belongings rather than ship their goods separately.

Not sure but I'd guess you would have to pay duties and go through customs, if you chose not too you'd basically be smuggling, and if you want to smuggle it's more lucrative to bring certain Caribbean products back into the US.

And I can't think of anything you could bring in that would make a lot of money that couldn't just be shipped in conventionally. I suppose you could get paid just for the shipping cost of whatever you're bringing, but I doubt that would be very much money.

Edited by DrD

Customs would be the big thing. Also, if you have to tender in, other guests wouldn't be pleased with the giant suitcases :)

However, I met a couple last year who were moving from the US to Europe, and they found it was easier/cheaper/more enjoyable to take a transatlantic with all their belongings rather than ship their goods separately.

My daughter & son in law did just the opposite last November when they moved back to Texas from London after 3 1/2 years.

We brought home an extra bag each for them on our last trip in the summer. Then in November they packed everything they had not sold into 8 suitcases & took a transatlantic cruise home to Galveston. It was cheaper than they could even get flights for much less having to pay all the luggage fees!

I never knew of anyone that did this on a ship, but I "know someone" who used to live in Jamaica a good part of the year, and then Los Angeles the rest of the time. Every time they went back, they brought 2-3 suitcases full of small but profitable items such as Ray Ban sunglasses, Nikes, ball caps, name brand basketball shorts, and so forth.

They then sold them to friends and relatives in Jamaica. The seller made a nice profit, and the buyers got way better prices from a friend compared to what they would pay at local stores that import, or by ordering by mail.;)

People in the caribbean love any American brands. A few times I have been on islands with my husband and people we don't know would offer to buy his clothing right off of his body. I remember once in The Bahamas he was wearing a Clippers Jersey and a man offered him $100 for it right in the street. He didn't sell it (had nothing else to put on), but island people LOVE our American Crap!!:)

Edited by PhoenixDawgCruising

This thought just occurred to me (and don't worry, I'm not planning on doing it--just wondering if it can be done):

According to Royal Caribbean's contract of carriage, each passenger can bring up to 200 lbs. of luggage. That's a lot! My family of five can probably fit all of our luggage into two large suitcases, each weighing 50 lbs. (which we could then check as airline baggage without an extra fee. But that would mean we would have a grand total of 900 lbs. of extra luggage that we could bring.

Say we are cruising from Florida to the Caribbean. And say certain products are a lot cheaper to buy in the U.S. than in on Caribbean islands (whether they be toiletries, electronics, you name it).

Is there anything stopping us from (and again, this is not something I'd ever do--just curious if it is doable!)--but is there anything stopping us from getting off the ship in a Caribbean port and taking nine 100 lb. suitcases off with us and then selling the goods to somebody on that island (presumably for a profit!)??

I don't see anything in the Royal Caribbean contract addressing/preventing this. Perhaps there are customs issues we'd run into. Just curious. Your thoughts? If it's doable, it could turn cruising into a money-making opportunity!

First you need to understand export documentation requirements and import regulations of Caribbean markets. There are numerous U.S. government export controls, compliance, and trade requirements hurtles to get over.

Not to mention, let us not forget the IRS and how you intend to pay taxes on your income.

And I'm pretty sure it is NOT something RCI will allow. as they are also following regulations transporting passengers not retail items by passengers. I'm sure luggage is defined as personal items and not for resale.

But I guess if you don't plan to tell them, you'd get away with it. If you don't plan to ask them/tell them, you probably know you shouldn't be doing it.

Edited by Trekker954

The simple answer to your question is YES, it's doable.;)

Frowned upon, probably, illegal, technically (if you arn't claiming the income), but would anybody know if the items were for your personal use or sale, probably not.

When I cruise, I have a suitcase full of brand new clothing still with tags, that I plan to wear. So do my husband and sons. I like to shop before a trip. Would there be any way to prove that I was wearing them vs. selling them?? Not really, unless your suitcase contains like 2000 pairs of identical sunglasses or something.:eek:

But for the most part, could you do it, sure. Would you want to-probably not.

Edited by PhoenixDawgCruising

You're on vacation. Who exactly would you sell them too? Know someone on a particular island in advance? Set up a vendor stall on your vacation?

I think RCCL might have questions you if you were visiting for the day and dragging suitcases along. Same for island customs.

Sounds like a lot of grief for no good reason.

A funny way to look at this in reverse: Every year THOUSANDS of cruisers go to the Caribbean and buy jewelry. It's usually a decent/fair/good price(IF they know enough to bargain hard). They go home and have their local jeweler "appraise" it. He tells them they got a GREAT deal!!! Paid half what it's worth!!! They're so excited, they bought a 4,000.00 ring for 2,000.00. Funny thing is, if this was actually true, we could all pay for our cruises every year buying jewelry in the islands and reselling it at home for so much more. Amazing no one is doing that, considering the thousands of people who think they bought things for a fraction of their real value. Reality: the local jewelers at home don't want to offend their potential or existing customers, so they tell them what they want to hear. Customers get home thinking they got an incredible bargain. They probably did get a good price, but nowhere near the massive discount they want to think.

Edited by bouhunter

...According to Royal Caribbean's contract of carriage, each passenger can bring up to 200 lbs. of luggage...
There are also statements that:

Each adult Passenger is permitted to carry onboard the Vessel or check-in only the wearing apparel and personal effects reasonably necessary for the cruise,

and

Carrier reserves the right to refuse to permit any Passenger to take on board the Vessel or on any mode of Transport any item Carrier deems inappropriate.

This combined with local Custom's Enforcement seems to pretty well make your hypothetical plan a non-starter.

I'm enjoying these comments, and it seems like an interesting issue. And again, let me stress that this is NOT something I plan on doing. As one person pointed out, spending all day in ports trying to sell clothes, electronics, etc. is probably violating all sorts of customs laws but also kind of negates the point of going on vacation. But an interesting idea to ponder. It just popped into my head.

Twenty-five years ago I had a nephew in the US Peace Corps in the Philippines. I was able to get a round-trip ticket to visit for for the latter part of November into December for about $800. Since he and I were going to travel around a lot, I just had a carry-on backpack. I arrived at the airport to find that almost everyone on the plane were Phillippinos going for a Christmas visit, with LOTS of luggage (like 9 bags each) since they "owed" all their friends and relatives Christmas presents from America. Way back them we were allowed three checked bags free of charge, but it was $300 apiece:eek: for excess bags beyond that. This being back before security became such an issue, I should have sold my three checked bag allotment for $800, saved someone $100, and paid for my entire ticket.:p Of course I only thought of this through the wonders of 20/20 hindsight.:cool:

Thom