Pre-cruise snorkel lesson.... yes or no??

keepap

So I've never snorkeled before and I really want to try on my upcoming cruise next month. So my question is to all those who have snorkeled.... do you think it is necessary to take a snorkel lesson before hand? I'm hearing from some others that they think it would be a waste of money better spent on my trip.

necessary? probably not

but if there is a class available, how could it be a bad idea?

You can relieve any angst about snorkeling in general ....

You might learn that it is not for you and avoid loss of $ on an excursion

You might learn that 'standard gear' is not for you, and decide to invest

do you want to waste 20% of your excursion time with a 'lesson' on the boat?

what am I missing?

(SCUBA diver since mid 70's and still active . . . .)

Edited by Capt_BJ

As a SCUBA instructor, I teach a few snorkeling classes a year. Honestly I wish it were more. Certainly not for the money (we charge $25.00 for the class at the shop I'm at) but because I see people not realizing the full potential of their sport. Most people who go snorkeling get the experience of a glass bottom boat. That is they stay on the surface and look down at the reef and marine life. Some don't realize, and many lack the ability to dive down and get a close look at what's there. A few hours and a few dollars can easily multiply the value of your excursions. Seems like money well spent, no?

It's really fun to see students pick up the techniques, and great when they return from a trip and talk about what a great time they had.

Harris

Denver, CO

Edited by omeinv

We bought our snorkel equipment from a local dive shop, and when they taught scuba lessons, they invited us to come swim in the pool with our equipment. One of the instructors helped us learn some of the basics. That helped so much!

My husband is also a scuba instructor and I agree. The BIG issue with snorkeling is getting gear that fits. Masks that leak will make you hate snorkeling! I have a narrow face, so I have my own mask for diving/snorkeling. It fits and doesn't leak. Ditto fins. My husband, on the other hand, can wear about any mask as his face is average shaped and size. Ditto his feet for fins.

If you can float, you can snorkel... good fitting gear and relaxing is the key.

If you have your own gear, make sure it fits. I've actually seen people practicing in the pool on the ship.

I think it would be a good idea to at least practice once. My daughter had never snorkeled and sneered at practicing. Then her first time out it took awhile to get used to everything. If she had been more familiar when she went put, she would not have wasted some of her time and the rest of the family's.

I totally agree with all the posters who recommend a practice in a pool before you go. I am not a strong swimmer but really wanted to try snorkeling. The first couple times I tried at excursions I used the general population masks and had trouble with them leaking which was frustrating and a waste of my money. I finally got a fitted mask from a local dive shop which included a lesson by the dive master in their pool. Wow, what a difference that made! I was taught many of the basics of clearing my mask and snorkel as well as tips on entering and exiting the water from either land or a boat. When I finally went snorkeling in Curacao I was so much more comfortable then I would've been without the lesson and could truly enjoy the experience. My next investment is a shortie wetsuit since I found that after half an hour or so I started to get chilled, even in the warm Caribbean waters...it should also help with buoyancy somewhat I'm told! Good luck OP and enjoy your snorkeling trip...great fun!!

Cathy