Viking Oceans New Build NOT Accessible

njguy_south

I already posted this on the Viking Oceans thread: Their new ocean-going cruise ship, Viking Star, coming out in the Spring of 2015, is NOT being built with accessible cabins. In fact, the website states that those particularly using wheelchairs may find parts of the ship difficult to access. They even go so far as to discourage travel by those with disabilities. Nevertheless, I am booked with my mother.

Having a wife that uses a scooter or wheelchair, this makes me upset. If this ship ever sails from a US port then there could possible be a big lawsuit, sinc the US government has said that if you sail out of the US, you must meet some ADA requirement.

Having a wife that uses a scooter or wheelchair, this makes me upset. If this ship ever sails from a US port then there could possible be a big lawsuit, sinc the US government has said that if you sail out of the US, you must meet some ADA requirement.

It will never be embarking from a US Port as it's the Ship ( rather Boat ) that the OP is referring to is designed specifically for Rivers Cruising Europe. Therefore ADA does not apply.

Furthermore most river boats cruises are generally not suitable for anyone who must use a scooter and or wheelchair as most of the areas the boat stops are below street grade with steps and are not wheelchair accessible.

Viking Star is part of the new Viking Oceans, part of Viking River. The new build is an ocean going vessel, sailing in 2015. Not having accessible cabins can become an issue if sailing to US and other ports requiring accessible ships.

Viking Star is part of the new Viking Oceans, part of Viking River. The new build is an ocean going vessel, sailing in 2015. Not having accessible cabins can become an issue if sailing to US and other ports requiring accessible ships.

Given that it appears from the Viking website that this ship is only sailing in Europe and Mediterranean the company may not be planning to have cruises originating from a USA Port. The company may have only planned that if the ship ever includes USA Ports , it's only an itinerary stop and not a port of origination/embarkation port. As ADA only applies to ship originating sail from a USA Port.

Be that as it may, the very attitude that a modern ship being built that is not friendly to people with disabilities is not only short sighted for any travel-centric company, but speaks volumes of such a company's archaic attitude toward disability. There are other European based ships and companies that are accessible.

If not the law, then certainly a financially short-sighted decision.

By the way, European law requires that at least one cabin on each river cruise be handicapped accessible. If that is the case, wouldn't logic dictate the same minimum for an ocean going vessel? Yet, Viking Star, sailing in 2015, will not. And knowing that the EU has the European Disabilities Act, it simply is not true that Europe has no standards concerning disability.

When I called on the second day that sales opened, I was told there were no acessible cabins. Their website shows none, and even states they cannot adequately accommodate someone with a disability.

I called today, and they are now planning to build them, but have no information concerning their location or even cabin category.

This is unfortunate, as my mother needs an acessible bathroom and space to turn her wheelchair.

BOYCOTT! Do not take this ship! Unconscionable, and frankly, shocking! This is a BRAND NEW ocean going vessel, specifically being built by Viking to propel them out of the river only cruise market, into the more lucrative ocean going market - they are trying to compete with Azamara and Seabourn - both of which have accessible cabins!! DO NOT take this ship, why would you, if you need accessible cabins (which my daughter absolutely does, BTW - so Viking is OUT for us!!). Their itineraries are covered by other luxury lines - don't take Viking!! We only sale Celebrity and ya, pretty clear why! SHOCKING that in this supposedly enlightened age, that such overt act of discrimination against an entire segment of the population would occur in this industry. This really blows me away. I have been checking a load of websites, including the Viking Star site, and nothing about disabilities is mentioned - a poster here said that 2 cabins are being fitted now, perhaps after some vocal outrage, but if that is true, there is no note on the Star official site - at least that you can find! Celebrity, on the other hand, treats handicapped patrons with due respect, making looking for accessible cabins obvious and easy. On this link: http://www.*************.com/cruise_ship/Viking_Star.cfm, it is very clearly stated that there are NO accessible cabins, and no Kosher meals, either - off topic, but surprising as well!

When I called on the second day that sales opened, I was told there were no acessible cabins. Their website shows none, and even states they cannot adequately accommodate someone with a disability.

I called today, and they are now planning to build them, but have no information concerning their location or even cabin category.

This is unfortunate, as my mother needs an acessible bathroom and space to turn her wheelchair.

Perhaps they got wind of people's issues with the cruise line and changed their plans.

:)

While the sales agents do not have this information yet - at least last time I called, they did not - there will be two accesible cabins aboard.

6020 and 6021.

• 1 year later...
6020 and 6021 will be accessible.

Power wheelchairs will be accommodated.

I have a booking for Feb 2016. Although, I can walk very short distances, I have a small, portable, mobility scooter. If they're allowing motorized wheelchairs, do you happen to know if scooters are allowed. I recently took it on RCCL's Quantum and it didn't even need a HC room to accomodate it.

Edited by Jersey Cruisers

I have a booking for Feb 2016. Although, I can walk very short distances, I have a small, portable, mobility scooter. If they're allowing motorized wheelchairs, do you happen to know if scooters are allowed. I recently took it on RCCL's Quantum and it didn't even need a HC room to accomodate it.

You need to contact Viking directly for the answer to your question.

Following was copied directly from Viking Cruise lines website :

DISABLED PASSENGERS

You must report any disability requiring special attention while on your Viking Cruises itinerary to Viking at the time the reservation is made. All vessels and motorcoaches are equipped to European standards. Most transportation services, including the vessels and motorcoaches, are not equipped with elevators or wheelchair ramps. Viking will make reasonable attempts to accommodate the special needs of disabled travelers, but is not responsible in the event it is unable to do so nor is it responsible for any denial of services by vessel operators, air carriers, hotels, restaurants or other independent suppliers. We regret that we cannot provide individual assistance to a vacation participant for walking, dining, getting on and off vessels, motorcoaches and other vehicles, or other personal needs. A qualified and physically able companion must accompany travelers who need such assistance and must assume full responsibility for their well being. The guest assumes the full risk of use and of any prohibitions imposed by vendors. Motorized scooters are not typically suitable on international cruises and cannot be accommodated. The carrier reserves the right not to accept passengers who are in an advanced state of pregnancy either upon commencement of or at any time during the river or ocean cruise.

Edited by xxoocruiser

DISABLED PASSENGERS

You must report any disability requiring special attention while on your Viking Cruises itinerary to Viking at the time the reservation is made. All vessels and motorcoaches are equipped to European standards. Most transportation services, including the vessels and motorcoaches, are not equipped with elevators or wheelchair ramps. Viking will make reasonable attempts to accommodate the special needs of disabled travelers, but is not responsible in the event it is unable to do so nor is it responsible for any denial of services by vessel operators, air carriers, hotels, restaurants or other independent suppliers. We regret that we cannot provide individual assistance to a vacation participant for walking, dining, getting on and off vessels, motorcoaches and other vehicles, or other personal needs. A qualified and physically able companion must accompany travelers who need such assistance and must assume full responsibility for their well being. The guest assumes the full risk of use and of any prohibitions imposed by vendors. Motorized scooters are not typically suitable on international cruises and cannot be accommodated. The carrier reserves the right not to accept passengers who are in an advanced state of pregnancy either upon commencement of or at any time during the river or ocean cruise.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for your response. I just got off the phone with Viking. First a representative, and then someone in management confirmed that motorized scooters (even a small one like mine that can be assembled and disassembled in about 5 minutes) ARE NOT allowed. Collapsible wheelchairs are allowed. Oceanwench posted that power wheelchairs will be allowed. However, according to the person I spoke with, they will not be.

Although I'm sure it won't change their policy, I plan to write to Viking to register my anger and disappointment. For a company that caters to a large degree to seniors, I think it is ludicrous that they don't allow mobility scooters.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for your response. I just got off the phone with Viking. First a representative, and then someone in management confirmed that motorized scooters (even a small one like mine that can be assembled and disassembled in about 5 minutes) ARE NOT allowed. Collapsible wheelchairs are allowed. Oceanwench posted that power wheelchairs will be allowed. However, according to the person I spoke with, they will not be.

Although I'm sure it won't change their policy, I plan to write to Viking to register my anger and disappointment. For a company that caters to a large degree to seniors, I think it is ludicrous that they don't allow mobility scooters.

I think the one thing you have not taken into consideration is the physical ports. Even though some of the boats have elevators and minimal accessibility, getting off or on the boat at most of the ports is impossible.

My cousin and another engineer in Denmark had to do a study on feasible ways to make structures accessible. Considering that Copenhagen is over 400 years old, other than some limited buildings there is not any practical modifications that can be made without ruining the historical structure. Since that time, my cousin requires the use of a mobility scooter and attempted to book a river cruise in Russia. Even with full knowledge of the conditions, agreeing not to get off at impossible stops and what could be done at other stops, he still was not allowed to book the cruise. There is a liability issue; they let you on the boat, they are responsible.

We did a day tour on the Rhine. We had to board the boat at a dock that was accessible and exit at another dock that was accessible in a town that had a train station where the train was accessible. That particular boat had an elevator going down to the restrooms. However, we could not get on the outside deck. A crew member called ahead to the town and requested a large taxi to get us to the train station... no accessible taxis.

Betty

I think the one thing you have not taken into consideration is the physical ports. Even though some of the boats have elevators and minimal accessibility, getting off or on the boat at most of the ports is impossible.

My cousin and another engineer in Denmark had to do a study on feasible ways to make structures accessible. Considering that Copenhagen is over 400 years old, other than some limited buildings there is not any practical modifications that can be made without ruining the historical structure. Since that time, my cousin requires the use of a mobility scooter and attempted to book a river cruise in Russia. Even with full knowledge of the conditions, agreeing not to get off at impossible stops and what could be done at other stops, he still was not allowed to book the cruise. There is a liability issue; they let you on the boat, they are responsible.

We did a day tour on the Rhine. We had to board the boat at a dock that was accessible and exit at another dock that was accessible in a town that had a train station where the train was accessible. That particular boat had an elevator going down to the restrooms. However, we could not get on the outside deck. A crew member called ahead to the town and requested a large taxi to get us to the train station... no accessible taxis.

Betty

I really do understand liability issues, however, Royal Caribbean allows mobility scooters, and it hasn't seemed to hurt them. I can understand Viking not allowing them on the river cruises (which I've been on,) due to the size of the boat. But I would have thought on an Ocean Cruiser (though smaller than RCCL ships,) they could accommodate scooters. As far as the ports, obviously I'm not suggesting they remodel 400 year old buildings. But I've traveled in Europe, and I was able to access some areas and others I could not. it was very simple.

I'm sorry, I assumed you wanted to do river cruising or ocean cruising that goes into the small ports that cannot accommodate the conventional cruise ships. Since you referenced Royal Caribbean, if that is the ports of call you want, just take one of their cruises or any of the standard cruises that go to those ports.

Oh, in reference to structures, that also includes all those stone steps getting from the boat to the dock or land level.

Betty

I'm sorry, I assumed you wanted to do river cruising or ocean cruising that goes into the small ports that cannot accommodate the conventional cruise ships. Since you referenced Royal Caribbean, if that is the ports of call you want, just take one of their cruises or any of the standard cruises that go to those ports.

Oh, in reference to structures, that also includes all those stone steps getting from the boat to the dock or land level.

Betty

Not to be disagreeable, but the two options in your first paragraph are not mutually excluseive. Azmara, for instance, has a ship smaller than the Star and they allow motorized scooters.

I know all about stone steps, etc. I've traveled in Europe and have done quite well, thank you.

There will be two HC accessible cabins on the new ship.

There are also accessible bathrooms on public decks.

Power wheelchairs will be allowed.

I've been told by a Viking manager that neither power wheelchairs nor motorized scooters will be allowed on the Viking Star.

• 2 weeks later...

DISABLED PASSENGERS

------------------------------------------

Here's an update on the portable scooter issue: I posted a message to Viking about this on their Facebook page. A couple days later I received a response advising me to emaill them at "tellus@vikingcruises.com." so that we could "discuss it further." That made me somewhat hopeful. I emailed them (referencing my Facebook post) on 5/27. As of today's date, I've received no response or acknowledgement.

Also, I ended up corresponding with Jeff Titelius, of the Euro Travelogue. He is a travel writer who's been on the Viking Star and is an extensive traveler. He told me that there's plenty of room on the ship and feels it could easily accommodate portable scooters.

To those of you for which this is an important issue, I would encourage you to visit Viking Ocean Cruises' Facebook page and/or Twitter page and make your feelings known.

Edited by Jersey Cruisers