New scooter-does this exist?

OldinJersey

Just back from five day cruise, and realize I need a newer scooter. Is there a scooter that is maneuverable on cruise ships and have a captain's chair? (High back with head rest) I need it somewhat on ship, very much off ship.

Also, any discussion about what is the longest scooter, biggest turning radius etc that works on a cruise?

I did well enough on the cruise except my scooter battery is 10 yr old, not holding a charge more than a few hours now.

I had neck spasms and discomfort just riding around the ship and on concrete sidewalks it was bad enough I cut short our time off ship. Last trip was disneyworld and I ended up leaving my own scooter in room, renting a large one with high back seat and headrest. Wish I could have two scooters on cruise!

I know there is a new pride travel scooter with shock absorbers, which would also be a big help but have not found one with headrest, shocks, narrow and good turning radius.

I have been using ultra lightweight tzora (50lb plus battery).

I've seen seats like you describe on ships in the past. As far as getting one I would suggest getting in touch with a reputable dealer of mobility deices. We have a great dealer in the Pittsburgh area that handles Pride and Golden scooters.You may consider searching manufacturers web sites for more clarity.

I have just purchased a Pride Go Go scout. It has a very good turning radius and larger battery than the Traveler. So far I am practicing in the house. Will cruise with it for the

first time in a week. Do you have any tips for using a scooter on the ship? I am nervous about getting on and off elevators.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Elevators are easy, as long as other passengers are nice. I have NEVER had anyone be the least bit of a problem, though I have read stories of some cruise passengers, mostly on Carnival line or mega ships.

My husband goes ahead of me to hold the door, make sure there is room. He may ask people to move to the sides. You can fit my scooter, husband and at least six others on ship elevators. Drive straight in, then on your floor have someone make sure the area behind you is clear and back straight out. Some have mirror back and you can see behind you. If almost alone elevators are large enough to make a K turn and be facing forward.

Sailed on holland America, Princess, Celebrity, Royal Caribbean but not mega ships-yet.

Usually the captain seats with head rests are on full sized scooters, or power wheelchairs. I prefer using a power wheelchair, as my arms fatigue holding on to the tillerof a scooter. Also for cruise shipd, most power chairs can hand the 'ledges' on some of the doors, that scooters get hungup on.

Smaller travel pwc's can also turn very tight radius. I could make a complete turn around in an elevator before we got to our floor and there would be upt to 4 othere in thith us.

I just upgraded my travel pwc to a pride jazzy elite 14. I will use this chair for flight travel as well as all the cruise ship. Today I purchasd a used manual wc to bring with us ro use on ashore ($40)‘ good deal!

Usually the captain seats with head rests are on full sized scooters' date=' or power wheelchairs. I prefer using a power wheelchair, as my arms fatigue holding on to the tillerof a scooter. Also for cruise shipd, most power chairs can hand the 'ledges' on some of the doors, that scooters get hungup on.

Smaller travel pwc's can also turn very tight radius. I could make a complete turn around in an elevator before we got to our floor and there would be upt to 4 othere in thith us.

I just upgraded my travel pwc to a pride jazzy elite 14. I will use this chair for flight travel as well as all the cruise ship. Today I purchasd a used manual wc to bring with us ro use on ashore ($40)‘ good deal![/quote']

I have a pwc with a captain's chair. It is the most comfortable chair I have. Cruisin'Lady, I hadn't thought about bringing a manual wheelchair for shore excursions. I know with Celebrity, suitcases/bags can't weigh more than 50 lbs. Do they get upset when you bring a lot of items on? We'll have to have a crate, suitcases for my food, crate, suitcases with clothing, animals suitcase, etc.

I have a pwc with a captain's chair. It is the most comfortable chair I have. Cruisin'Lady, I hadn't thought about bringing a manual wheelchair for shore excursions. I know with Celebrity, suitcases/bags can't weigh more than 50 lbs. Do they get upset when you bring a lot of items on? We'll have to have a crate, suitcases for my food, crate, suitcases with clothing, animals suitcase, etc.

The only restriction is that everything has to fit in your cabin. The cruise line will not store anything for you.

I am unsure about buying replacement battery for two reasons. One is that I am havin serious pain if I use it anyplace but on a cruise ship, or perhaps a mall. I need shock absorbers! Also must get a head support.

The other issue is the place I bought my beloved scooter has had serious complaints, enough the state Attorney pressed charges. They are gone but the manufacture company lists two places in US that carries the product. Both near the location of the one in trouble and with some online searches done, I am concerned that both websites are the original folks operating under new names and LLC. With medical issues I would just love to find scooter I see in person and drive. Not to mention battery is about $300 and if the battery is not the real problem (wires, engine etc) it is a lot to throw away.

I guess the smart thing to do is spend the winter in Florida, trying all sorts of scooters, going to the Disney spring flower show, checking Busch gardens animal world...right? Or just cruise til April?

Really, since the problem IS a medical condition, I can send costs to insurance!!

It IS cheaper than a neck and spine MRI, followed and another round of cortisone spinal injections. Or the dread surgery I am avoiding.

Edited by OldinJersey

• 3 months later...

I have a Pride Legend that has a full seat with head rest that I have taken on several cruises, I use it daily for going out and about. I have no trouble getting around on the ship with it or into an accessible room. It has a wide wheel base so requires the wider door for direct entrance. I have removed the arm rests as they were always in my way when shopping.

I was interested in new pride cTs travel scooter with suspension, and had them call me. The lady was so abrupt I was shocked. I asked about that scooter and she said "NO headrest. Sorry. Is that all? " so surprised that she did not try to tell me about a single other model and let her just hang up.

it appears online you can got to a private company and get a seat with headrest but then I am not sure it would still fold.

The holdup is, if I get a larger scooter or powerchair, I assume I will need a bigger vehicle and crane rather than folding the scooter into my trunk. We are looking into costs.

Today through Sunday is the abilities expo in NJ and I know pride will be there. I hope to try a few scooters. If I use it enough it would make sense to sell car, get bigger vehicle and larger scooter or powerchair. As my pain worsened I have become fearful of going out, riding in the car etc. I am fine on cruise as long as I rest neck often. Same with Disney two years ago. Even with headrest. Hate to spend a ton of money and not use enough! Add in our little house is too old and oddly designed to even use powerchair I think.