Qm2 Dress Code In Alternative Restaurants

pasavant

I Am Thinking Of Taking The April 10th Sailing On The Qm2 To The Carribean From Nyc. I Have No Desire To Wear A Tie And Suit ( Let Alone A Tuxedo) While On Vacation. I Understand That On Certain Nights A Tie Is Required In The Britannia Dining Room And Wonder Whether On Those Nights We Could Dine In One Of The Other Free Restaurants ( I Assume That There Are Other Restaurants On Board Where One Can Dine Without Paying A Supplement) Without Dressing Up. Please Advise Me Whether There Are In Fact Alternative Dining Places Where One Can Have Dinner Without Paying A Supplemental Charge, And If So May One Dine There Wearing Just A Sport Shirt And Slacks? Thanks.

Dear Pasavant ...

Are you SURE you want to travel on the QM2? "Dressing up is half the fun." In fact, men are required to wear a jacket and tie on virtually ALL the evenings in the Brittania ... there might be one or two exceptions, but casual wear is discouraged at dinner. On "Formal" nights, the vast majority of men wear tuxes, though a dark suit is permitted.

The "alternative" dining venues on QM2 are located in "King's Court". During the day, they are quite informal and casual wear is perfectly OK. In the evening, the area divides into several "theme" restaurants (reservations are required); the dress code is also observed. The only other alternative is Todd English which not only requires reservations but a surcharge; dress code is enforced "even more strictly" there.

If you are hoping "never to wear a jacket and tie" then you maybe should consider another, less formal, ship.

Hope this is helpful (though probably not what you hoped to hear).

YankeeClippr

Hello Pasavant: on nights when the dress code is either formal or informal, you may wear a shirt and slacks in the Kings Court however, the dress code on formal and informal nights is still upheld in some of the public rooms after 6PM.

Pasavant (would that translate to "not knowing"?),

Ahh,

Don't listen to the stodgy young fuddy duddies. <GGG>

Most of their experience is QE2 from England. An entirely different experience from QM2 in the Caribbean.

The Caribbean cruises lately have more casual nights. It is difficult to be dressed in a suit or tux on the hot humid Caribbean. Indeed, one would look out of place and more than a little nuts under those circumstances, no matter what Ricardo Matalban wore on Fantasy Island.

On a seven night cruise, you might be likely to have 2 formal nights, 3 casual nights and 2 informal or semi formal (Gentlemen should wear a jacket and tie) If you truly can't sand to wear the old noose, here are my suggestions. You could wear "alternate formal wear" such as kilt (if you qualify <G>) or other dressy clothes which would be appropriate perhaps in other cultures. (We recently discussed here, the Nehru jacket, which, contrary to popular belief was not a relic of the hippie 60's but indeed, is the ultimate in Indian and Hindu formal wear, indeed is expected in formal settings such as weddings.) Another possibility, if you can pull it off, is the ascot tie, as opposed to the standard necktie. Some people, for whatever reason, including medical, are not able to wear a standard necktie.

If you really are not able to come up with something suitable, and it is true that many people cruise Cunard BECAUSE of the standard of dress and more formal atmosphere, you could dine en suite- In your room, There is excellent room service, and the table in the room (coffee table height) raises to eating height. If you are in a Queens Grill suite, of course, dining en suite is de rigeur! No I have not done so, so maybe someone can help me out here, but I believe it is possible to order from the dinner menu during dining hours. The room service menu is adequate, but not extensive.

Our friends here on the boards who cherish the formality of formal dining should remember, that although not everyone can or wishes to dine so formally. those people may still want to experience all of the other treasures and features which set the queens apart from their more pedestrian competition. So although the gentleman may not wish to dine formally, that is no reason he would not feel at ease otherwise on the QM2 in the Caribbean.

Be creative. Perhaps pick up a formal wear catalog. There may be alternatives which would be acceptable for formal or informal (semi-formal) dining.

And give it a couple of days. Our friends who are on the D2 Caribbean will be back soon and may offer insight as to the mix of casual and no-casual nights on a non-holiday sailing.

Karie,

who loves to play dress up, but has certain difficulties with some requirements of formal wear due to certain physical problems

On a seven night cruise, you might be likely to have 2 formal nights, 3 casual nights and 2 informal or semi formal

Karie - I agree that the QM2 is a lot less formal than the QE2 - on some nights you don't even need to wear a tie at all:eek: - but a man still needs to wear a tie on the majority of nights. The OP said: "I have no desire to wear a tie". I would feel that it would be unacceptable to me to be told that I was heavily restricted as to where I could go on those nights when a tie was required so I would look at going of a different ship rather than having to spend four of my nights staying in my cabin (If you're going to do that why go on the ship in the first place?)

Pasavant (would that translate to "not knowing"?),

Ahh,

Don't listen to the stodgy young fuddy duddies. <GGG>

Most of their experience is QE2 from England. An entirely different experience from QM2 in the Caribbean.

The Caribbean cruises lately have more casual nights. It is difficult to be dressed in a suit or tux on the hot humid Caribbean. Indeed, one would look out of place and more than a little nuts under those circumstances, no matter what Ricardo Matalban wore on Fantasy Island.

On a seven night cruise, you might be likely to have 2 formal nights, 3 casual nights and 2 informal or semi formal (Gentlemen should wear a jacket and tie) If you truly can't sand to wear the old noose, here are my suggestions. You could wear "alternate formal wear" such as kilt (if you qualify <G>) or other dressy clothes which would be appropriate perhaps in other cultures. (We recently discussed here, the Nehru jacket, which, contrary to popular belief was not a relic of the hippie 60's but indeed, is the ultimate in Indian and Hindu formal wear, indeed is expected in formal settings such as weddings.) Another possibility, if you can pull it off, is the ascot tie, as opposed to the standard necktie. Some people, for whatever reason, including medical, are not able to wear a standard necktie.

If you really are not able to come up with something suitable, and it is true that many people cruise Cunard BECAUSE of the standard of dress and more formal atmosphere, you could dine en suite- In your room, There is excellent room service, and the table in the room (coffee table height) raises to eating height. If you are in a Queens Grill suite, of course, dining en suite is de rigeur! No I have not done so, so maybe someone can help me out here, but I believe it is possible to order from the dinner menu during dining hours. The room service menu is adequate, but not extensive.

Our friends here on the boards who cherish the formality of formal dining should remember, that although not everyone can or wishes to dine so formally. those people may still want to experience all of the other treasures and features which set the queens apart from their more pedestrian competition. So although the gentleman may not wish to dine formally, that is no reason he would not feel at ease otherwise on the QM2 in the Caribbean.

Be creative. Perhaps pick up a formal wear catalog. There may be alternatives which would be acceptable for formal or informal (semi-formal) dining.

And give it a couple of days. Our friends who are on the D2 Caribbean will be back soon and may offer insight as to the mix of casual and no-casual nights on a non-holiday sailing.

Karie,

who loves to play dress up, but has certain difficulties with some requirements of formal wear due to certain physical problems

The casual attire we observed on our QM2 cruise last week (Ft. Lauderdale to Western Caribbean) was the dressiest casual dining I have ever seen. Steve was uncomfortable in an open-collared shirt without a jacket. He was definitely in the minority. Most men were wearing ties. We went to Todd English on a casual night and it seemed that all the gentlemen were wearing coats and ties.

Same thing on the first and last nights.

I found the dress code to be refreshing after our last several cruises on Royal Caribbean and even Celebrity.

I don't mind two formal nights; three is pushing it and I don't know how many will be on our next cruise --which will be in November and 10 days.

I wouldn't go on Cunard if I objected to the dress codes. I think it's nice -- like the old day of cruising about 25 years ago or so.

--Judy

Ok, Miss Karie, I'm 49 ( or so-so ), does this make me one of the "stodgy young fuddy-duddies"? :)

I represent the "Caronia" "QE2" and "QM2" and ships that I was, at the time, too young to remember ( I would say I now officially represent 'the lollipop guild' ) ... and to 'Pasavant', weeee welcome you to 'Cunard Land' :) please, enjoy yourself aboard our great ships however, just a little dress code adherence would be gratefully appreciated by a great majority of your fellow travellers.

CHEERS!, and welcome aboard!

Ok, Miss Karie, I'm 49 ( or so-so ), does this make me one of the "stodgy young fuddy-duddies"? :)

( I would say I now officially represent 'the lollipop guild' ) ... and to 'Pasavant', weeee welcome you to 'Cunard Land' :) please, enjoy yourself aboard our great ships however, just a little dress code adherence would be gratefully appreciated by a great majority of your fellow travelers.

CHEERS!, and welcome aboard!

Bob!

Hey! To me, you are one of the young ones! I'm an old and crotchety 52!

My whole point is that, while dining is certainly a huge part of the experience for me (and most people) it is not the entire voyage. Also, it does seem as though we immediately jumped on him, and appeared critical and unwelcoming. I do not want anyone to feel that we are saying that Cunard is too good for them, or they are not good enough. Most people do rise to the occasion, as long as they know what to expect, and are not caught unawares. If he is willing to accept that he might be considered a pariah, or worse, requested to don appropriate attire, should he show up for dining improperly dressed for the evening, but the rest of the experience outweighs the inconvenience of either dressing to the "code" several evenings, or doing alternative dining, then he should have a great time! If the tie is the killer, perhaps alternate treatment, such as an ascot would solve the problem. There are tuxedos meant to be worn with an ascot. Heck, I believe a morning coat is worn with an ascot-type tie. As someone who has physical problems with anything tight around my neck (I choke and gag-it is a medical condition which I cannot control, - when I had my respiratory failure, I had to be intubated through my nose. The anesthesiologist could not intubate me by my throat. My Doctor even jokes that he hopes he never has to trach me!) I understand the gent's consternation, and I don't even have an Adam's apple, which can make ties very uncomfortable, even excruciating for some men. I believe ties may have been some woman's revenge for stockings and high heels. <LOL>... or not!

Truly, I think our defense of

the code" sometimes makes us appear as effete snobs!

Also, the fact that this is QM2, and the Caribbean, alters the proposition somewhat. I am merely hoping to help the gentleman with informed consent. It would be a shame if he went through life never experiencing Cunard or the Queens over dining attire, don't you think?

Karie,

whose life would be poorer and less richly hued, had she not experienced either.

So May One Dine There Wearing Just A Sport Shirt And Slacks? Thanks.

I suspect your travel agent has not given you advice which matches your expectations for a relaxing vacation . You may want to consider carefully some of the earlier comments (above).

The good news is that there are liners/cruise ships for all tastes and dress codes.

[i read yesterday on this board, and you may be horrified to learn, that there are some cruise ships where passengers are known to wander around the public areas in their bathrobe!]

Chris

Hi there, we went on our very first cruise aboard QM2 last year to the Caribbean and Loved it. And we enjoyed dressing up on the formal and informal nights. But we also saw that there were people who came back from the ports and didn't feel like dressing and so went up to the Kings Court in casual clothing. In fact on one formal night my husband and I dressed but didn't want to eat in the main dining room and instead made a reservation at the Italian restaurant in Kings Court. There was a man at the table next to us in Khaki pants and short sleeved shirt. He did not detract from our meal or our own experience.

I say that for most on the Cunard trip folks seemed to enjoy dressing to the code - however, if you want to make the trip and are happy to forgo dining in the dining room - you will be fine in either the alternative restaurants or with room service. Just my opinion of course.

LK

[i read yesterday on this board, and you may be horrified to learn, that there are some cruise ships where passengers are known to wander around the public areas in their bathrobe!]

Chris

That's nothing.

I have some very dear friends who are nudists. (Naturists/Naturalists) A couple of years ago, they went on an all-nudist cruise! All I can say is, don't order the hot soup! <G>

Karie,

Who could scare sea monsters if she went around nude on a cruise ship. (Not to mention the bruises to my knees, and someone might try to iron me, or think I were a shar pei!)

We returned a week ago from a two week trip, our first, with a week crossing the Atlantic and a week cruising the caribbean.

We dined in Britannia and on both formal and informal (jacket and tie) nights we saw several people in the restaurant who did not have the suggested clothes on.

They were allowed in without comment, jacketless and tieless. Who knows if they felt out of place, only them, but they stayed, so you can dine in Britannia sort of casually.

In the Kings Court it was pretty much wear what you like, though I don't recall anyone in shorts in the evening. Mind you I saw the odd one in their dressing gowns, but they seemed happy.:p

So if you don't want to wear a jacket and tie you can still travel and have a good time.:)

Dave

Time to ignore the insults to your moniker and to comment on the advice given and the questions asked. Can't resist a crack of my own: you could wear an ornate, but comfy, robe and claim that it is your "native dress".

Sorry, I know that's a cheap shot.

Time to ignore the insults to your moniker and to comment on the advice given and the questions asked. Can't resist a crack of my own: you could wear an ornate, but comfy, robe and claim that it is your "native dress".

Sorry, I know that's a cheap shot.

Well, yeah, but wouldn't that entail some sort of odd headgear?

Karie,

whose thought processes have gone awry, as I am working nights this week!

P.S. Pasavant-- Would love to hear your thoughts, after all of these responses. I do hope you have not been scared off of the Queen, or indeed these boards by all of us "opinionated" folks! ;)

Thanks for all the advice. It appears that I can get away with dressing down on formal nights by dining in the alternative restaurants or in our cabin so I will probably go ahead and keep the reservation I made. I got a great rate on 3A balcony cabin .I crossed on the Queen Mary in 1966 to Cherbourg to spend my junior year in Paris, and Cunard gave me a prior passenger discount on the fare. I have never been on a cruise and thought it would be fun to take the QM2 since I had already sailed on the QM. Reliving lost youth etc. RE my screenname: Baron de Charlus informs us that Pasavant was the war cry of the Guermantes family during the crusades, passim A la recherche.

Do make sure that you will be able to eat from the same menu as you have in the restaurant - I don't think that is available to all and it would be sad to miss out on a good dinner.

Unless the in cabin dining is very different from QE2 then I don't think that you'll get all you will the trip if you rely on that - and formal nights tend to be those at sea. If you'll ever really want an easy room service meal I'm guessing that it will be when you are returning from a port day?

Also, the fact that this is QM2, and the Caribbean, alters the proposition somewhat. I am merely hoping to help the gentleman with informed consent. It would be a shame if he went through life never experiencing Cunard or the Queens over dining attire, don't you think?

Karie

Mmm, well Miss Karie, when one looks at it from that angle and it's the Caribbean vs a crossing or world cruise etc - attire approval: GRANTED :)

I Am Thinking Of Taking The April 10th Sailing On The Qm2 To The Carribean From Nyc. I Have No Desire To Wear A Tie And Suit ( Let Alone A Tuxedo) While On Vacation. I Understand That On Certain Nights A Tie Is Required In The Britannia Dining Room And Wonder Whether On Those Nights We Could Dine In One Of The Other Free Restaurants ( I Assume That There Are Other Restaurants On Board Where One Can Dine Without Paying A Supplement) Without Dressing Up. Please Advise Me Whether There Are In Fact Alternative Dining Places Where One Can Have Dinner Without Paying A Supplemental Charge, And If So May One Dine There Wearing Just A Sport Shirt And Slacks? Thanks.

When one travels on Cunard one should plan on dressing at their very best at all times. If this is a bother for you may we suggest a differnt line.

When one travels on Cunard one should plan on dressing at their very best at all times. If this is a bother for you may we suggest a differnt line.

When we go out for dinner at a "nice" restaurant and dress accordingly, we are personally insulted and annoyed at those folks who turn up in jeans / T-shirts / and (yes) even baseball caps - needless to say, the ambiance of the evening is somewhat spoiled. So on the QM2, those who choose to disregard the daily dress orders are not only out-of-place but diminish the experience of the cruise for others ... selfish I would say. But that's just me, don't take it personally plse.

Selfish I would say. But that's just me.

It's not just you - I agree. I think that you should dress appropriately for the venue and, If you don't want to fit in with the rules of the establishment, you shouldn't be there.

Thank you for your approval, HighCBob!

I am at peace now!

Then , too, after you spoke, Poor Mssr Pasavant got the "songanddance" routine! <LOL>

Sorry, S&D, I simply couldn't resist!

Have you ever been on a Caribbean cruise, or lived in the Caribbean?

Sometimes, when people dress for hotter climes as if they were in Northern England in February, they appear buffoonish and foppish! One might even call them a dandy!

Growing up in a hot and sticky clime, if you saw people dressed in their finery (you know, dowagers in Miami wearing minks in August) or wearing too much, usually they were pushing a shopping cart full of others' cast-offs.

Sorry

I am just feeling so very perverse and evil tonight! I don't know if it is because I am working nights this week and my world is upside down, or what? But I am seeing such snobism and haughtiness in some of these comments. I hate to be a nasty person and say hurtful or mean-spirited things. Of course, then that puts me right in the same place as those who are being rude and ignorant to begin with. But I don't know why I worry so, and try to be diplomatic, It seems that some others have no compunction whatsoever about being rude, image-obsessed, intolerant, snobbish, and "Oh-woe-is-me!", taking personal offense at what others choose to wear. Here is a helpful hint for those people. If you don't like the way someone looks. DON'T LOOK! It is rude to stare at, or even notice anothers' attire in a negative way. In fact, it is downright vulgar and crude! We learned not to do such things in the Wendy Ward Charm school (Although I suppose not everyone had the advantages of my superior upbringing! <G>) It really exhibits, (to me, anyway) a person with absolutely no class whatsoever! As we say where I come from, You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig! If you act like a judgemental lout, you can wear a morning suit and the Queen's tiara and carry a scepter of the finest gold and jewels. You will still be crass and obnoxious!

Cn't we instead, be helpful, ansd answer the gentleman's question, put his mind at ease, instead of intimating that he will have NO fun on his VACATION that he is spending a lot of money on, and wants to be COMFORTABLE and have GOOD TIME? Must we impose our values on him? Ah, speak for yourselves, They're not MY values. My values don't include making someone feel that they are not as good as me if they do not live up to MY standards. If we NICELY state the dress code, then offer him helpful advice on how to work within the system and still enjoy his cruise, while not embarassing himself. Why do you assume the only important thing, indeed the only reason anyone would have the slightest desire to take a voyage on Cunard is for the Formal Tea and Formal Dining experience, and he could not possible enjoy a trip on her otherwise, nor would he fit in. Might as well, go hootin' and hollerin' with that tacky Carnival crowd of low-rent types!

Geez people. you oughta listen to yourselves! I have never heard such a bunch of sniveling, rude, arrogant, ostentatious types in my life! I can almost hear the collective SNIFF as you all stick your patrician noses in the air.

Get a life, people!

I am tired of hearing this drivel and claptrap! Go to a psychologist. Learn some self-esteem, so you don't have to lord it over others to feel good about yourselves.

I am sorry to be being so incredubly rude. But I have sufferred this lunacy politely long enough. I try to follow others' rudeness and impoliteness with diplmacy and kindness of my own. But it continues.

It take a lot to get me to go off. But y'all have finally done it (*yeah, I know, Some of you WISH I would go off..somewhere else! <LOL>

I apolgize in advance, because my behavior right now is inexcusable. But I could not stand one more snobbish comment trying to get your last licks in as though folks with alternate opinions and tastes are beneath your contempt and no doubt, just crwaled out from under a rock or ther damp dank place.

Bob, This isn[t aimed at you. I actually smiled at your comment! And it isn't aimed at any one person. Just the repeated adherance to rigid expectations leading to harsh jusdgemnt of others.

Karie,

who is not in a mood for cute sayings right now.

:mad:

P.S. I apologize in advance. This is not personally aimed at any one person. You know how much I love all of you.

Cn't we instead, be helpful, ansd answer the gentleman's question, put his mind at ease, instead of intimating that he will have NO fun on his VACATION that he is spending a lot of money on, and wants to be COMFORTABLE and have GOOD TIME? Must we impose our values on him?

Karie,

With the very greatest of respect, it isn't our values that are being imposed, but those set by Cunard.

Just as I would look out of place in a dress suit on a Carnival vessel, someone not in either a dress suit or a dark lounge suit will look out of place on a Cunarder on a formal night.

I think we owe it to the OP to point this out. We can point out ways of getting around it too.

But a Cunarder is a dressy ship. It's part of the ethos. If you don't like that, then don't sail on her.

Having said that, it is worth pointing out that pnhmrk and I are both Queen Elizabeth 2 groupies, which is even dressier than the Queen Mary 2. So our comments may be slightly less apposite.

But worth making, I'd venture.

Archived