Tulum, Corba or Chitchen Itza ruins?

svmodi

We will be cruising on MSC Divina stopping in Cozumel on November 20. This is our secind visit here - first time we did an island tour + San Gervasio ruins. This time we would like to see the one of the larger Mayan ruins. I am looking for recommendations as to which is the better ruin to visit from Cozumel - Tulum, Corba or Chitchen Itza. Also do you have any recommendations for tour operators? Any help/recommendations would be appreciated.

When we were in Cozumel in March we opted for Coba over Tulum because (a) The ruins are in a more shaded site and (b) you can get up close and touch/climb some of the ruins. It was a longer drive, but in our eyes definitely worth it.

I don't know how far Chitzen Itza is, so can't comment there. We actually passed the Tulum site on our way to Coba.

Regardless of the ruins you choose to visit, I would urge you to consider a cruise line excursion rather than tour operator on your own. The travel time needed makes for a long full day and if you run into an issue and miss your ferry back to Cozumel (Coba and Tulum are on the mainland) you could very well miss your ship.

RCL arranged for the ferry to be there waiting for us at both the start AND the end...we were the first ones off the ship after arrival/cleared to go ashore and just 20 minutes after getting back on board we were pushing away from the pier.

Chitchen Itza is too far from Coz for even a ship excursion to head for. But is accessible if you're docking in Progresso.

If heading to Coba, do use a ship excursion. Likewise to Tulum to be on the safe side. However, with careful planning and a little luck you can DIY Tulum (Coba adds an hour-hour-half RT and reduces your time available at the ruins). Check this board for posts on how that's been done.

Chichen Itza is out unless you can find a flight (which is possible) with a private tour that guaratees arrival back at the ship on time. There's no way I would try that, but I would think it can be done...but very expensive.....and chancy.

Tulum is the closest of the 3. It's also the only one on the ocean, so there is a beach. Most ships will have excursions to Tulum. While you can do it on your own with careful planning, I would still take a ship's excursion.

Coba is my favorite because you can climb the big pyramid at the end. I also enjoyed the tricycles that you can rent and the jungle atmosphere. It's a Huge site. I would not try and get to Coba on a ship trip either. We did it on a land stay and it was a far drive from our hotel near Tulum. I would not want to have to Ferry, drive, explore, drive, Ferry in a limited amount of time.

Chichen Itza is AMAZING but it is far, far, far away from Cozumel. IF they have a tour from the island it will be the longest day of your life. You have to take the ferry over to Playa del Carmen, then get on a bus for a 3 hour ride to Chichen. Then walk around in hot sun (and the place is HUGE), get back on bus, stop for food and shopping, then 3 hour ride back to Playa, get on ferry and ride back over to island of Cozumel. Trust me.... LONG day.

Tulum and Coba are close to the coastline just south of Playa del Carmen. You will still have to take the ferry over to Playa, then a bus south to both ruins. They are smaller, not as much to see, but will take half the day.

• 1 month later...