Taxi to forts and McKenzie's Fresh Fish

KmomChicago

Hi, in lieu of a ship excursion or wandering around, we are thinking of setting up our own day in Nassau. We want to see at least the one fort where you can walk around underground, and maybe eat at McKenzie's which is off the main path but supposedly a locals joint with good cheap authentic eats. Just a bit concerned about the taxi situation, safety, and how to avoid getting ripped off. Thoughts?

Haven't been to McKenzie's but you might want to consider eating at one of the restaurants at the Fish Fry, which would have similar food and is right across the street from Fort Charlotte. That way you only have to deal with one taxi ride. You could also take the #10 bus, which costs $1.25 a person.

Haven't been to McKenzie's but you might want to consider eating at one of the restaurants at the Fish Fry, which would have similar food and is right across the street from Fort Charlotte. That way you only have to deal with one taxi ride. You could also take the #10 bus, which costs $1.25 a person.

Well thank you very much. I did not realize this nice collection of local eats was right there but pulled up the map per your comment. I think we have a winner! Do you have a favorite from the various options there? My peeps want to try authentic cheapish Bahamian cuisine.

Great, I really appreciate it. We will be a party of 5 with 3 generations; will there be taxis large enough for us all? And do you think there will be any issue with picking up a return ride from the fish fry area? I will definitely keep the bus in mind as well, but my peeps are inexperienced and somewhat nervous travelers and might prefer to be sequestered in their own vehicle, LOL - I'd personally rather people watch on the short bus ride! If we can't find a cab, they will expect me to have a backup plan and will go along with it.

I assume taxis are metered and safe and the cost of the ride will be reasonable?

I do want to directly support the local economy rather than the cruise line - by the way this will be Carnival Sensation on a short 4 day from Miami. I have been to Nassau a few times before 2000 but this is the first time for the rest of the family.

Thanks very much for taking the time to answer my control-freak detailed questions! :)

Taxi's are available at port and at the fish fry. Port cabs will generally charge $4 pp as a shuttle. Return will be $13 for 2ppl. $4 for each add'l person ($25 for 5) plus tip.

They are not metered, but go by zone.

Jitney bus is very easy, and far more affordable.

You won't have any problem getting a taxi back to town. You'll probably have 20 drivers ask you if you need a ride. :) Most of the taxis are vans and will be able to hold 5 people with no problem. Like Scubagirrl said, taxis have set rates, not metered.

You could always take a taxi there and a bus back once everyone gets more comfortable. The bus stop is right next to the Fish Fry and they come by every few minutes. It costs $1.25 a person. The bus drivers don't like to give change, so try to have the right amount or just round to the next dollar.

The bus drops you off in town near the shops and the straw market (if you're into shopping). Short walk to the pier from there.