Hotel

andymac67

Hi, Andy.

Tolerably walkable to Ocean Terminal are

Grand Harbour ( Southampton's top hotel, though there are better outside the city limits), Pig-in-the-Wall and Ennio's (boutiques), Holiday Inn Herbert Walker Ave (currently undergoing renovs, so beware your dates), Premier Inn West Quay (still quite new, highly recommended by Cruise Critic members). All those are also tolerably walkable from the train & coach stations.

Then there's the Mercure Dolphin Hotel (historic, quirky layout) and Travelodge City Centre (bland modern building, recently opened), both convenient city centre locations & walkable to Ocean Terminal.

Opposite the station & a short taxi hop from the terminal, Ibis, Ibis Plus & Novotel.

The map at the bottom of https://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/southampton_accommodation.htm

shows the city centre hotels, stations & cruise terminals. (Pig-in-the-Wall, not on the map, is close to Grand Harbour).

None are more than a £10 taxi ride from any cruise terminal

Other Travelodges & Hol Inn Expresses, and the city's two Hiltons (Chilworth & Rose Bowl) are on the city outskirts & inconvenient for city/cruise terminals.

JB :)

Are the renovations still ongoing, John? I thought they were supposed to be finishing them last month.

Hi Aquiligia,

No inside knowledge, more a suggestion to check out the situation.

The hotel's own website mentions ongoing work to two floors of BEDROOMS, so it may well be that works to public areas have been completed

JB :)

Are the renovations still ongoing, John? I thought they were supposed to be finishing them last month.

Assuming you're talking about the Holiday Inn, we have reservations there for August and were concerned about the bad reviews due to construction. We sent an email asking when renovations would be complete and got an immediate answer. The ground floor work is complete and the remaining work (7th floor rooms) will be finished by mid-April.

If we're driving, then we use the HI which gives a package including 15 night's car parking.

If we come by train we use 2 of the 3 hotels near the station. Novotel and the main Ibis are fine, but the other Ibis, which is really cheap, was a bit too basic for us (not sure what it's called, but it's next to MacDonald's) Both of those also offer a parking package.

We have rolled suitcases from HI to Ocean Terminal, as it's completely flat, but a taxi is much more sensible, or else use your car to drop the luggage at the hole in the wall, and then one of you drives back to HI and walks- it's really not far. We like this hotel because of the views of the ships arriving/departing, but also like the main Ibis because it's well run and is sparklingly clean.

I live in Southampton and I would say that whichever hotel you are staying in you are likely to need a taxi to get to the port. Mainly due to the fact that I assume you will have a few suitcases. So I would go for either grand harbour or Jury's inn or the premier inn as there are currently 2 in the city centre and about her being developed. All of these are in the city centre within £5-10 pounds in a taxi. Southampton is now also an Uber zone for taxis. So nothing great in comparison to your cruise fares. Any questions let me know?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app