Avalon replaced Piano Bar

JohnoClark

On our Danube cruise I was surprised to find the relaxing lounge where I can listen to the pianist replaced by a disk jockey blasting music

Not what I expected and a reason why I would not prefer Avalon

Other views?

I wouldn't like that either. On our recent Avalon Moselle/Rhine cruise we had the usual piano guy.

Send Avalon a letter of complaint.

• 2 weeks later...

We found Avalon's entertainment to be the most boring of any line we sailed. Personally, we would have been grateful for a DJ some nights, as opposed to the snooze fest we experienced on our cruises with them.

If they added a DJ to some itineraries, it is very likely due to complaints about their entertainment. I know they received a lot from our group of friends when we were aboard and we have not been back (for many reasons, but this was one). I will never forget their lack of any planning for NYE aboard - a total disappointment when their idea of a NYE party was a silly 90 minute skit with the CM and passengers posing as plants in a forest or some such nonsense. It was the bottom of the barrel.

Edited by caviargal

This was not our experience on our Avalon cruise. As well as the very good keyboard player who was well supported when he was the evening's entertainment we had a variety of guest artists. Classical music group, zither artist, singer, one man band and of course the crew show were among the entertainment acts we had. All were well supported and enjoyed by all I spoke to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We did the Jazz themed cruise with them 2 years ago (south of France) and the entertainment was amazing... There were musicians every night - all with a different type of jazz. It was much more than we expected.

Doing our 2nd Avalon next may (Enchanting Belgium...) - will report back. Although, to be honest, on some cruises a DJ might be preferable (especially with the piano man can't sing!!)

Fran